• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by TiRed.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Oops, NBD.
  • Kryton57

So as some may know, since before Lockdowns I’ve looking for / asking questions about disk brake road bikes and so on as I continued to save for a reasonably high level build that’d last a good few years and suit my endurance riding.

I have a long history with Enigma Cycles, having grown up near them and started working in metal work at the age of 16, I’ve always watched their progress and bikes with interest. Over recent years though, the inflated prices had drawn me away from thoughts of owning one, and indeed any high end bike.

In addition, no matter how hard I looked at Tarmac SL7’s, TCR’s or Cervelo’s for example, I couldnt get emotional about them.

So on a cold December prior to Christmas, random browsing landed me on Enigma’s clearance page. Sitting right in front of me with a very respectable discount was exactly the bike I’d wanted, with exactly the groupset I wanted right down to the chain ring and cassette sizes, in my size and with carbon hoops. One hour later of beating heart and with a large hole in my life savings, this was mine:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oaoRdv]IMG_3595[/url]

I love a back story behind desirable objects; today it was awarded 3rd in the Road.cc Road bike of the year list (I’m sure Mark Reilly is happy to be one up on Enigma with regard to that) and yes, my bike is the exact bike that was reviewed by Road CC.

So far I’m about 220k of riding on the bike, and it rides every bit as well as the Road CC review states. The collection process, factory tour and service from Enigma that goes with it is one I won’t forget as part of my 50th year.

I am very lucky to own this bike, the stars aligned for me for the rather unexpected purchase.

oldtennisshoes

A good news story and that is lovely.

Now, about that lawn 😉

w00dster

Really nice looking bike, deserves better photos though…..

weeksy

Top story, top job !

Needs 180mm of travel.

uniqueusername

Photo op while you were picking up a folding ebike?

Kryton57

deserves better photos though…..

There’s lots of pictures better than I can take in the review. But FWIW, here’s the factory shot:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ocmaRx]Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 13.01.22[/url]

Its is a “clean” looking bike, and – I have a neck issue – I really like the non integrated bar / stem.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very tasty, you should get many years’ service out of it.

+1 for traditional bar/stem versatility, but are you running the stem at the stop of the steerer but with negative rise?

My preference is to flip the stem upwards and position it lower on the steerer.

Personal taste maybe, some people have insinuated that it’s a breach of etiquette.

v7fmp

deeeeeeeeeeelightful!!!

Simple, effective, smart.. i like it.

So far I’m about 220k of riding on the bike, and it rides every bit as well as the Road CC review states.

thats a serious amount of distance!! Oh wait… 220k….as in km… not 220,000 😛

Kryton57

Yes too late to edit but 220km, sorry – I’ve only had it for 3 weeks!

IHN

As is the way of these things, I’m not mad on it (I’m not a fan of big tubes or deep rims)

However

I’m glad you like it, and I like the back story. Enjoy.

rOcKeTdOg

Came to see an off road bike 😢

But as above, if you love road riding then that’s all that matters, enjoy

benman
    Free Member

Nice bike. Stem needs slamming and shifters need leveling

steve_b77
    Free Member

So many spacers 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I gave this a like on Insta earlier with a hint of envy. Enigma frames look so right in my eyes.

MoreCashThanDash

I had some great email chats with Enigma at the end of first lockdown, they were lovely guys to deal with, but Laverack are closer and so I got the Jack. I doubt I’d have been disappointed with an Enigma though.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’d be de-logoing the rims, but otherwise, absolutely love the look.

But most importantly:

and it rides every bit as well as the Road CC review states

reality matches expectations

corroded
    Free Member

Former Evoke owner here and I can attest that Enigma are excellent to deal with. The headtube was pretty generous in my size so I had no need for spacers. What’s the tyre clearance on the new model?

w00dster

Yep with you on the non integrated bar / stem. I have both.
    I’m also a huge fan of proper tube shapes, might be a watt or two slower but look so much better.
    Really nice bike and build. And I’m very jealous!! If only I had a spare £6k, I’d be all over one myself!

Kryton57

What’s the tyre clearance on the new model?

32 officially, although actually it looks like it could go bigger than that. As it looks it has 28’s with 22.5mm internal on those Hunts, and there’s loads of space in the fork and by the BB.

Also, the frame detailing hard to see (something I like for making it a little anonymous to the undesirables), not sure if this’ll work but its bead blasted with brushed logo’s like this:

honourablegeorge

Nice. Sounds like it was meant to be.

honourablegeorge

ayjaydoubleyou

I’d be de-logoing the rims,

Yeah, rest of it is so clean and unfussy, losing the logs would suit it

beer247
    Free Member

That is lovely!

I got rid of a Reilly Spectre last year and replaced it with a CAAD13….which was a bit of a mistake.

I was going to buy a Curve Belgie to re-establish my relationship with titanium…but couldn’t justify the cost!

Ended up with a second hand Fairlight Strael.

onewheelgood

I’m sure Mark Reilly is happy to be one up on Enigma with regard to that

Shame it’s a posthumous success 😟

fathomer

That really is lovely, apart from the wheel stickers!

kayak23

Pretty nice for a road bike 👍

Kryton57

I agree with removing the wheel stickers, I need to look into it carefully as I don’t want to lose the lifetime warranty on them.

paule
    Free Member

Very nice! I’ve got an Omega Radius (omega became Reilly bikes and then enigma) and it’s still great after 13 years… Bought it second hand then, and it’s on a second group set/wheels but the frameset is pretty much as new and super comfortable/fast to ride -hopefully yours will be just as popular!

honourablegeorge

Kryton57

I agree with removing the wheel stickers, I need to look into it carefully as I don’t want to lose the lifetime warranty on them.

Have them removed by an authorised Giant dealer

onewheelgood

omega became Reilly bikes and then enigma

Not quite. Mark Reilly founded Omega, which went bust. Jim Walker founded Enigma and offered Mark Reilly a job, Enigma being just the two of them for a while. Mark left Enigma to found Nerve, which was later renamed Reilly. Mark sadly died last year.

Edit: and @kryton57, that bike is lovely. I hope you have many happy years together.

lesgrandepotato

Nice.

Kryton57

Have them removed by an authorised Giant dealer

They are Hunt wheels, so it probably wouldn’t help the warranty. Either way they are painted, so I’ll leave them as is I think as I’m pretty much Reg Prescott in the handyman department.

Jim Walker founded Enigma

This is where personal service hits a crescendo, Jim Walker popped out to thank me for buying one of his bikes. It was a nice moment.

TiRed

Very nice. If I hadn’t just bought an echo, I’d have gone for one of their sale fixed frames. Yours seems to have too many years for my taste but looks great. They will refinish their frames, so I’m awaiting a quote for desticker and polishing mine.

Clearance Sale

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.