Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oops! Car key issue – what have I just done?
  • rascal
    Free Member

13 plate Golf has been telling me to change the key fob battery for weeks, so just done it for first time. It was working fine…now it doesn’t work at all. New battery didn’t so swapped back to original which now doesn’t. Def in right way. Arses. Don’t want to dick around with it too much in case alarm goes off – not great at 9.45pm. Any ideas?

bikebob

Mine was telling me for weeks to change battery. Worked well and then stopped completely. Couldn’t even open doors to get in. Have you tried spare key? If that works, swap battery into old key to test if it’s key fault.
    Is the battery the right one. There’s more than one battery ref number although they are same size etc. If you have wrong one it won’t work.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Key might need a recode. Sometimes it can be done by you via the manual sometimes it’s a $tealer job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cyclistm
    Free Member

Don’t take the battery out the spare. You’ll end up with no keys at all.
    With Vauxhall the key needs to be paired with the car, I expect VW will be the same.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Try this don’t blame me if it doesn’t work though

https://itstillruns.com/program-vw-key-fob-7595083.html

nickdavies

Mk 7 you pop the cover off the hidden door lock, hold the unlock button for a few seconds, then put the key in the lock quickly and open the car. Buttons should then work.

rascal
    Free Member

Not sure where the spare key is, which is helpful.
    Changed like for like – CR2025.
    Found the notch in the door handle and inserted key, turned…and bloody alarm went off – nice and loud too. I would have looked well dodgy with my head torch on fiddling with the door handle – maybe a few curtain twitchers but no one came out…who knows, maybe the fuzz are on their way! It’s locked so I’ll have to figure it out tomorrow – bloody bolluxes! 😬

Caher

Is it worth calling the AA/RAC?

nickdavies

Once you open it with the key, jump in and put the ignition on alarm will go off. Then you can do as above.

Im assuming its a mk7 not a really late mk6, the 6 is different and you will need your spare key to program the other one. Battery is 2032 in a mk6 though so having read your post again ignore that.

rogermoore

When mine went I swapped the battery like for like (CR2025) as you did and nothing. Had the spare key so used that and next time it went in for a service I took the key and told the garage what happened. They said it might be cos I didn’t get the battery from them – much to my scepticism I thought the key was faulty – picked up later that day with working key and they said they just swapped the battery!
    RM.

Cougar

It’s lost its pairing and will need to be re-paired, the exact process will be car-dependant.

The last one I had to do was a Ford Scorpio and involved various combinations of turning the ignition on and off several times and pressing buttons. Google and / or the above advice will help here I fear.

bentandbroken

Cougar

Subscriber
      The last one I had to do was a Ford Scorpio

Sniggers! I had you down as a much better person 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Pop the cover off the hidden lock.
    Press the unlock button on the remote.
    Put the key in the lock and unlock the car.
    Get in an turn on the ignition to the first click.

That should do it 👍

Drac

What Neal says.

rascal
    Free Member

Sorted now thanks…after setting alarm off again this morning.
    Different battery seems to have done the trick.

Cougar

Sniggers! I had you down as a much better person 😉

It was an odd car, that Scorpio. I bought it as the least-worst option available to me at very short notice. It had a face only a mother could love (it was the squashed frog shape rather than a Granada in a posh shirt) but it was glorious inside. Most comfortable car I’ve ever owned, it was a proper motorway muncher.

It was also tail-happyAF, two litre engine and RWD. Look at it wrong and you were going sideways.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oops! Car key issue – what have I just done?’ is closed to new replies.