Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….

Home Forum Bike Forum Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 117 total)
  • Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….
  • Woody- good point, the big UTE doesn’t have them either.. hurmm.

I suppose as it’s only 350 I could DIY something…

Thinking/random-purchase-approval cap on..

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Mine was dispatched yesterday according to the e-mail, a mere 3 hours after ordering.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

My order isn’t showing on my chain reaction account.

I have the email receipt and paypal receipt. I hope it hasn’t screwed up I’m really excited about getting on it!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

My order isn’t showing on my chain reaction account.

I have the email receipt and paypal receipt.

The new system there is ****, don;’t worry.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Arrrgh 🙁
    I really want a cargo bike for hauling the juniors around, but I wonder if I could get a 15mnth old and a 3 and a bit year old on the rear deck ?
    I`m thinking smallest on the back in a kiddie seat, with eldest between rider and kiddie seat with stoker bars and a strap to keep her in place ?
    Obviously I`d put side fences on with foot rests too….
    £350 is a bit of a bargain for that

Premier Icon triple_s
    Subscriber

You mean something like this?

Having a second kiddie sat behind the rear axle does make the handling a bit intersting, going to move all 3 of us forward a bit on my Ute and see if that makes it better.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I’m hoping to get a 4 yr old and a 3yr old on the back dom. Nothing more than some stoker bars, 3yr old sat closest to the saddle and the 4yr old reaching round him to hold the bars. Or something like that anyway!

Maybe a cushion of some kind too if I’m feeling generous 🙂

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

That’s the general Idea yes, although kiddie seat lower and further forwards I think.
    Failing that It`ll be wee ride up front and kiddie seat on back…..

Oh well, time to break down the alfine commuter build and get it on the classifieds I guess 😀

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Oops, well it looks like I have done the same 😳
    Better get busy in the shed tonight to make some room

Anyone want an Alfine set up 😀

Talking of Alfine set ups, the Kona Dr Good has a 7-speed Nexus hub and is the same price as the MinUte (also half price).

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

This can be my Kiddie Carrier / commuter / workhorse / lock up in town bike.

So the Trek XC based commuter I’ve just built can be broken down again and sold to fund it.

Trek is good fun, but no rack/Guard mounts was always going to be the limiting factor to it being the perfect commuter

eyerideit

Get one of these from xtracycle and you could get your other half on the back as well.

Merak

They’ve put the price up? 🙁

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Anyone got theirs yet ?

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

“Hi,

We are contacting you with an update on your order. Due to a stock discrepancy we are unable to include Kona MinUte Bike 2012 18″ – Matt Black in your order at this time.”

🙁
    Bo11ox 👿

Yah boo, that sucks 🙁

Got my tracking number today (20″ one), sorry… Treat yourself to one of the Kona Dr Good things at the same price. You have my permission.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Mine arrived this morning, sorry dom 🙁

It’s a sturdy beast, box it came in was huge. Out of the box, it’s nowhere near as heavy as I thought it was going to be. Pannier bags are big, but not absolutely massive – couple of carrier bags would fit in each no problem & they look sturdy. Deck is longer than I thought, should fit 2 small kids on there no probs or a crate of beer! 🙂 )

Looking forward to taking it for a ride 🙂

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

will you be racing it?

(via @morvelo)

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Glad you guys got yours…..

I`m gutted as I was really looking forward to having Kiddie transport sorted so the whole family could ride out together 😥

eyerideit

I delayed my delivery, but according to the guy I spoke to, mine was being built in and readied for delivery last Thursday.

Hope it’s still waiting for me.

Premier Icon easygirl
    Subscriber

Got mine this morning, and a free pedal spanner and multi tool!
    Deck,is longer Han I though, had a. Ride down the street, not as heavy as I thought, and easy to pedal
    Will be good fun I think 😀

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Damn, wish I’d bought one now!

How come a free pedal spanner and multi tool? Is that a CRC thing or a kona thing?

Was tempted to get one but missed the low prices 🙁

Premier Icon easygirl
    Subscriber

Chain reaction thing
    To build the bike up I think
    But is ok quality

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Oh Well, looks like I have a 20″ one on the way instead !!!

Standover height is the same on both so we`ll see how it fits…..
    Fingers crossed as I`m only a short ar$e 😆

EDIT,
    If it does fit and I keep it, I will be doing some accessories for it
    Probably some (Reflective)side panels CNC Cut to fit behind Panniers and possibly a double kiddie seat arrangement too.

Is that something that would interest anyone else ?
    Cheers
    Dom

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Yay 🙂

I reckon you’ll be fine on a 20″ (well, depends how much of a short arse you are I suppose! I’m 5’8 if I really try and I reckon either size would have done fine). There’s loads of standover and the backswept bars really shorten the bike anyway.

Let us know what kind of accessories you end up making!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

5’9″ on my 18″ Full Ute, & it’s fine. A 20″ might need a shorter stem but coming off a mtb/road bike it’s quite an upright position anyway. It’s more a bike for wafting along than anything. Get them up to speed & they hussle along nicely. I’ve had all manner of stuff on the back of mine, my 6 & 7 yr olds still get occasionally, I’ve had a pile of kids bikes for the school, gazebo etc. The deck is really just a base for customising to suit. Mine only came with a single Ute bag, so I use two Phil & Ted buggy saddlebags. It’s practically been our second (3rd) car for the last year & a half. Bigger tyres are a good mod,if your hauling weight. 2″ Schwalbe Big Apples work.

My full Ute, with passengers…

IMAG0774 by pten2106, on Flickr

Some more Ute goodness…
    IMAG0802

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Takisawa, some great pics there, I figure I`ll make a new plywood deck to take attachments rather than spoil the Kona one.
    I have a pair of Ortleib panniers too so I may fit a rail to take them if they don’t fit on the standard rack mounts.

Some plywood wheel skirts with running/foot boards doweled to them might help with bigger / heavier loads and give the ability to tow the kids bikes if needed.

eyerideit

Got my despatch notice today, so mines on it’s way!

Is that something that would interest anyone else ?

I might be interested in some if they have all the clips to attach them and the price of course.

I’ve read the brakes are a bit poo when the bikes loaded, what’s the real-world opinion of them?

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

eyerideit – Member
    I might be interested in some if they have all the clips to attach them and the price of course.

I have access to a cnc router and a cnc laser cutter so I was thinking of doing something similar to these:
    http://sellwoodcycle.com/fully-loaded-accessorizing-the-kona-minute/

They will require a couple of bolts if plywood and load bearing or some cable ties if plastic 😀

I should also be able to do them in proper “Emergency services” Reflective vinyls as well for some added visibility 😀 :mrgreen:

Mine arrived earlier today so took it out for a quick spin – nothing serious, just the park / old railway lines.

I’ve read the brakes are a bit poo when the bikes loaded, what’s the real-world opinion of them?

Mine needed a fair bit of fettling but are still a bit poo tbh – perhaps I’ve been spoiled by a few years with hydraulic brakes?!

And here it is not looking out of place at the local pub beer garden. Please noter, I haven’t fitted a wicker basket – there’s a rusty old vintage ladys’ shopper behind it…

The deck at the back is a bit loud – tempted to spray it black but on the whole, first impressions very good. The saddle is going – really short and uncomfortable for my bony arris, the pedals are already gone, replaced with some old V12s. The seatpost was the only thing not greased – pretty well built altogether.

It’ll take me a while to remember not to throw a leg over it (rather than stepping through) but really, no complaints at all. Also came with a free spanner pedal, CRC multi-tool and dinky CRC bottle.

lemonysam

rusty old vintage lady

That’s no way to talk about the missus.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Mine is due today or tomorrow hopefully, it was dispatched yesterday. Already thinking the Deore brakes I have spare and some Wellgo pedals will go straight on, in fact, I’m thinking whether some 200mm + disks might be worthily tying on given they are sat in my spares box.

eyerideit

Already thinking the Deore brakes

I was thinking a pair of Merlins Formula RX for my hardtail then transplant the Juicy 7’s onto the Minute.

200mm + disk

😯 Really?

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Rode mine home tonight, 11 miles or so from work. Took a bit of getting used to initially, don’t like the backswept bars and the saddle is gash, but all in all it’s pretty bike like 🙂

Actually thought the brakes were okay, gave them a good bedding in and was soon locking the back wheel so with a bit of weight on should be just right.

Don’t underestimate how wide they are with the bags on, I got stuck a couple of times getting on and off the local greenway!

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

eyerideit, only thinking 200mm+ as I have those spare! I’m not exactly a lightweight so would like 180mm on there but as I have bigger one spare, well, why not?!

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Mine came today, love the blue, super sparkly, the bags are huge, not quite worked them out yet.

Brakes are naff, luckily I have some spare hydraulic units lurking in the shed.

All in all a Bargain!

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Looks like Parcel force have tried to deliver today while the Mrs popped out for 20 minutes 😥
    So I`ll have to take the van to the depot and collect it tonight, rather than knocking off early and getting it built this afternoon

eyerideit

@lunge Fair enough, none of my business really.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Eyerideit, no worries, I accept 200mm disks on a cargo bike is a tad odd.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Got mine home and built up, really pleased with it 😀

Brakes might need swapping out, and it will get a different saddle, but I’m amazed how the weight ofver the back wheel which is noticeable moving it around, disappears once on the move.
    Now to get some child seats on it :mrgreen:

Ifrider

Have I missed something here, how come the OP paid £350 when it’s on crc at 390 ?

Rich

crc put the price up after a few days (I think) of it being £350.

Yup. Mine was 350. Bought a pair of chunkier cx tyres to make it a little more useful off road – just hope I can adjust the mudguards enough to squeeze them in (35s).

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

When CRc didn’t honour my original order, they agreed to do me a 20″ one at the price I originally paid for the 18″.

I still think it is worth the money at £390 Tbh but I had paid £350 and didn’t see why I should be stung when it was a mistake their end

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….’ is closed to new replies.