Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Oooo, new HP Chromebook – WANT
  • allthepies
    Free Member
    footflaps

Hmm, looks pretty fugly to me…

Stoner
    Free Member

nice.

I introduced the rest of the team (4) to my samsung chromebook 4 weeks ago….they now all have one and love them.

A week ago, I was introduced to 3 people I had never met before as I would be working with them. 2 in Chicago, one in London. None with gmail address. Today I had a video conference call with all three of them, using google hangouts and all of us working on the same finance model. By the end of the call they were all sold on how well it performed for collaborative work. For smaller, lightweight teams it’s a godsend.

Jamie
    Free Member

HP?

I’m oot.

allthepies
    Free Member

USB charging also so bog standard phone charger is all that’s required.

matt_outandabout

Having bought an ultrabook for work, with no optical drive, and being ‘forced’ to use a remote desktop, I am sold on the idea of something like this for the majority of us.

allthepies
    Free Member
    wors

Can a chromebook easily be connected to a NAS? I want to ditch my ageing pc but need storage for all my photo’s, music video’s etc which is about 400GB at the moment.

ta

dannybgoode

Here is a letter I wrote to google just before they launched the whole Chromebook thing

Dear Google

I do not think that you have enough ways of profiling me and basically snooping on everything I do whilst sat at a computer.

So would you please please please fix it for me so that as well as all the searches I do on google and all the emails that I send to people’s gmail accounts from my none gmail ones get scanned, filtered and otherwise used so that you can better target ads at me there is a way that you can scan, strip and filter and use all the information contained in all the documents I write, all the spreadsheets I create and any other work I carry out on MY computer to build up a profile of me and forever bombard me with adverts.

Cheers

Danny B

Google can **** right off if they think that I am going to use their web based services (Google Docs et al), trust them to store all my work and everything else so that can basically know everything about me.

**** right off I tell thee…

clubber
    Free Member

You think that they don’t already? 😉

dannybgoode

Well they certainly don’t know the contents of my never connected to the internet PC…

clubber
    Free Member

You think? 🙂

Of course but then for most people that’s basically useless.

wwaswas

Well they certainly don’t know the contents of my never connected to the internet PC..

[GCHQ voice]

you think so?

[/GCHQ voice]

what do you do that you don’t want on a PC that’s connected to the internet. I can understand wanting to store documents locally but to have a completely off-net machine for home (or even office) use seems slightly paranoid?

clubber
    Free Member

Well, given that he went to the trouble of writing a letter to Google… 😆

stumpy01

Imagine how much spaffing there’d be over this if there was a slightly eaten piece of fruit for a logo, instead of HP!!??
    This’d be up to 5 pages at least 😉

Kuco

I’m an Apple user and I admit when my MacBook finally dies i’d be very tempted for one of these.

footflaps

. I can understand wanting to store documents locally but to have a completely off-net machine for home (or even office) use seems slightly paranoid?

Mandatory for MoD work.

Place I used to work out had a screened building, with a 20kV ESD discharge sheet in the wall (so if you tried to drill in to fit a bug you’d be killed), triple glazing (so you can’t use a laser to hear speech), metal cages in each room (so no EMF got out). There was no network connection and the power supplies were heavily filtered.

Doors were 20mm steel, so you couldn’t break in.

We were doing Secret Squirrel stuff in there….

wwaswas

do you have to kill us now you’ve told us about it footflaps?

footflaps

No need, the squirrels know where you live and will make sure you don’t talk….

Kuco

footflaps

They had to switch off the ESD thing by the time I was there as apparently killing spies was no longer considered acceptable post cold war.

wwaswas

They just have to sort out the dark side squirrels first…

footflaps

Sadly long since demolished, but I found a photo of it.

It was called ‘The Tower’, as it was basically an above ground bunker, sticking up as a red brick windowless tower towards the back of the STL site in this photo:

They knocked it down in 1998 ish to make way for more labs and then shut the whole site down when Nortel went bust in 2009.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Oooo, new HP Chromebook – WANT’ is closed to new replies.