Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ooni gas pizza oven – what gas?
  • scruff9252

My wonderful wife bought me a gas powered Ooni for my Christmas.

Tonight I want some pizza.

Just looked and the adaptor that comes with the Ooni fits neither the Propane cylinders in the Campervan, The camping gaz cylinder (granted it’s butane) we have for comping nor a cylinder used for my JetBoil.

To save me buying and storing a fourth(!) gas cylinder in my garage, is there anything stopping me chopping off the push fit regulator that comes with the Ooni and putting on a standard Propane regulator in it’s place.

Failing that, just what kind of gas bottle is the push-fit regulator designed for?

Ta

jon_n
    Free Member

If it’s the same as the older Ooni gas conversion kits, it’s possibly for a Patio Gas Propane bottle:

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/connecting

As long as the pressures on the regulator are the same, there shouldn’t be a problem with swapping regs between the propane fitment types. Butane would probably work as well – I swapped a gas BBQ reg from propane to Butane and didn’t explode in a ball of fiery death (yet).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s meant for patio gas, the same stuff that you usually use for BBQ. IIRC @trail_rat runs his on propane?

thethief

I did exactly that, cut off the push fit regulator and put on a normal one. It works perfectly.

bruneep

Cut off the crap regulator that came with it and replaced it with a higher mbar screw in type for propane gas. Not dead yet

Tom-B
    Free Member

What @bruneep says. We use ours with the same 6kg Calor propane that we use in the motorhome.

sharkbait
    Free Member

To save me buying and storing a fourth(!) gas cylinder in my garage, is there anything stopping me chopping off the push fit regulator that comes with the Ooni and putting on a standard Propane regulator in it’s place.

Absolutely not – that’s exactly what I did and I now run it off a 47kg propane cylinder I had left over from when we swapped from gas hob to induction.
    37mbar regulator.

simon_g

They’ll run on butane or propane, the standard regulator is for propane (Patio Gas).

Stolen from the facebook group:

sandwicheater

Welcome to the club, love our gas Ooni.

As above, just cut off the one supplied and use your existing gas canasters.

I feel much like a puppy post, you should post a photo of your first (well, maybe your 4th) effort.

Happy eating. Nothing like the pizza sweats after too much of the good stuff.

mrchrispy

ran ours of Butane to use up an old cylinder, worked perfectly well in the summer (might struggle in colder weather). now on propane with a screwfit regulator but I’ve stuck a quick release thingy on the hose….its ace.

enjoy the pizza, Ooni is ace

grum
    Free Member

Anyone tried using theirs with a small camping gas type bottle when out and about? I think I’ve read it’s possible but not sure what I’d need to do it. Quote fancy taking it to the beach when it gets a bit warmer.

sadexpunk

havent got an ooni but same principle, our firepod oven works on patio gas (green and red bottles). as stated above, any will work but we found butane (blue bottle) didnt get to the same heat as patio gas. we were told propane (red bottle) is better but patio gas is optimal.

DrP

Anyone tried using theirs with a small camping gas type bottle when out and about? I think I’ve read it’s possible but not sure what I’d need to do it. Quote fancy taking it to the beach when it gets a bit warmer.

Not yet, but i’d liek to get some in-line pipe connectors, so that I can run my ooni off the smaller bottle my BBQ runs off, but also so I can run the BBQ off the bigger calor bottle when at home etc…

DrP

oldtennisshoes

Butane might get the oven hotter or hotter quicker, as it is a higher energy fuel (circa 12% iirc). If you don’t need cold weather performance I’d go with butane as it’s also cleaner burning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Propane burns better and hotter in the pizza oven I’ve found. I’ve used both.
    Coupled with the fact butanes useless below about 4 degrees and the butane takes longer to get the oven to temperature I found.

I have my propane regulator to hose to gas tite quick connect

Then a beyonet on anothe those on each of my pizza oven and BBQ … One bottle two devices. See no reason why you couldn’t have one device and 2 bottles……

scruff9252

Right, so I’m doing something wrong with this Ooni.

Bought a new propane 38(?)mb regulator, fitted and pulled a propane cylinder out the back of the campervan.

Tried it tonight 5’C air temp, light wind. Going by my IR thermometer the stone is only getting up to 150’c and the flames seem quite pathetic really.

The first pizza took 15+ mins to cook.

Other than trying with a new, full propane tank what else could I inadvertently be doing wrong?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Blimey. How long did you leave it to get up to temperature? Takes about 20 minutes doesn’t it?

Maybe your cylinder is on the verge of dying?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I also had pizza tonight….

Ooni koda

Propane (15kg cylinder)

3degrees no wind. Did need a 20 min heat up and to be put back to full between pizzas.

I assume yo turned the knob to full ?

Sounds a bit broke if I’m honest.

scruff9252

That was with a solid half hour warm up on full. Think it was an hour from oven on to first pizza out.

I’ll pick up a new gas bottle this weekend, hopefully it’s just the one we have is near empty 😕

bruneep

Found the stock regulator was shite, cut it off and get a new one

Tom-B
    Free Member

Where are you scruff? I can lend you a full bottle and demonstrate a working ooni over the weekend if you’re anywhere South Cheshire.

grum
    Free Member

I’m using mine twice a week still generally at 1-2c ambient temp and it heats up in about 20 mins. My IR thermometer only goes up to 350c but it’s over in the middle that after 20 mins or so and pizzas cook in under 2 mins.

That’s using gaslight patio gas with the supplied regulator.

I reckon the gas cylinder is the most likely option.

grum
    Free Member

I’m using mine twice a week still generally at 1-2c ambient temp and it heats up in about 20 mins. My IR thermometer only goes up to 350c but it’s over that in the middle after 20 mins or so and pizzas cook in under 2 mins.

That’s using gaslight patio gas with the supplied regulator.

I reckon the gas cylinder is the most likely culprit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Near empty cylinder I’d say.

burko73

I have a roccbox that I cut the patio gas regulator off and put a quick fit adaptor on which clicks into one of two hoses I made up. One with a propane adaptor and one with a butane adaptor.

That way I can issue the orange cyclinder in winter as it works better in the cold and the blue one in the summer as I had a couple of blue ones that I had in the shed. I’ve got a bulkhead regulator in the motorhome and the same set up using connectors and pigtail type hoses so that I can use propane, butane or campinggaz in the motorhome depending on season or having a back up if one runs out when I’m in France.

I can mix and match between the van and the roccbox so hopefully don’t ever run out!

burko73

You can tell if your cyclinder is empty by weighing it and comparing with charts on tinternet.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You can tell if your cyclinder is empty by weighing it and comparing with charts on tinternet because there’s no flamez in your pizza oven/BBQ/stove

wazzacroz
    Free Member

was looking to build one with about 24 fire bricks and 2 slabs. all you need is a gap for hot air to come up the back and you can get the top oven area to necessary temp to knock out pizzas in a few mins

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ooni gas pizza oven – what gas?’ is closed to new replies.