Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ooh – i have my first cracked frame – any advice chaps?
  • dh
    Free Member

So having a look over my 10yr old spec allez today after a wee spin last night i have discovered a 1 inch crack on the head tube. Do you think it is a deathtrap? I don’t use it too often but would be a shame to have to ditch it. Looks a bit dodgy to me tbh…but maybe it is ok.

Anyone got any experience in specialized warranties? I’ve been the only owner from new but have to say a) it is ancient and also b) not much chance of finding the receipt.

any advice appreciated.

dave

cynic-al
    Free Member

deathtrap…unlikely, for now.

Warranty, worth a try, nothing to lose.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Couple of zip ties or jubilee clips will hold it for a bit 😆

bol

Spesh’s warrantee is one of the best in the business. All the better if you take it in to the shop that supplied it (assuming it still exists).

druidh
    Free Member

Even if they don’t do a Warranty replacement, being Specialized they are likely to offer you a Crash Replacement discount.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He didn’t crash it.

pjt201
    Free Member

how do you know? he didn’t say whether he did or not.

dh
    Free Member

thankyou for your replies gents.

yeah shop exists – dales in glasgow. it even has the dales sticker still on it.not sure if they are still a specialized dealer or not, i’ll give them a buzz tomorrow. seems to ride fine – for now at least.

dh
    Free Member

cynic-al should be telepathic-al as i didnt crash it. but i don’t know how he knows that either. eeekk. /looks over shoulder.

seavers
    Free Member

Not much experience of cracked frames personally but if that was my bike I would just keep an eye on it, assuming it was just a hack bike. Main bike that might take some grief, not sure I would risk the dentistry.

Warranty….give it a shot, you never know. But 10 years old, it’s a crap thing to happen but it’s had a good life!

I would be interested to see if spesh replaced after 10 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way could that come from a crash.

I do wonder if it spent much time upside down while punctures were repaired?

bigrich

Specializeds warranty is top. However, it’s ten years old. Surely, instead of trying to blag a freebie, you should think ‘that was value for money’ and buy another one.

Del

for the sake of a couple of hundred quid for an equivalent frame, i’d put it to grass immediately, but i guess 8 weeks off the bike with broken bones is worth it to some…

dh
    Free Member

1 puncture on front recently now you come to mention it – but surely just tipping it over to change it up can’t cause that? i was thinking it was maybe more potholes or something.

bommer
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few of that era go like that, allez, sirrus, sequoia. Can’t see warranty being a problem, proof of purchase aside; they don’t have many frames left though – you might have a bit of a wait.

The ‘crash replacement’ policy is a shorthand way of saying ‘if it’s fecked and not covered by warranty’ policy. Once had a chap who backed his car over his E5 Aerotec S-works and had an S-Works SL-3 Tarmac as a replacement for £1100.

Spesh are awesome

Edit: Don’t ride it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about getting that welded – nothing to lose. If it fails again it will fail gradually as it has done now.

iainc

dh – as others have said, Spesh warranty is very good. Dales also are great on customer care and they have a lot of staff who have been there for years, so they may remember you or the bike. Chris, Krister or Jon Allan should able to sort you out

FuzzyWuzzy

No chance I’d ride it with a crack like that on the headtube, hopefully the shop still have a record of your purchase although 10 years is a long time.

mrmo
    Free Member

The question is what was the warranty when you bought it? I snapped a Lemond after 8 years? Trek replaced it no questions. I would expect Specialized to be as good if there is a warranty in place. After all it costs them little but it does generate a lot of good will.

And even if the frame isn’t covered by warranty they may offer a discount, as a goodwill gesture.

Only thing to point out, You may find that some of your components don’t fit, If they offer an equivalent, headset size, and hence forks may be different, what size is the current seat post diameter. These are things that will be outside any warranty. Likewise the cost of rebuilding the bike may well be your problem.

dh
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies. just dropped it off to dales (who luckily found the purchase on the system in 2003), (and we very helpfuk) so they are going to take some photos and get in touch with specialized. we shall see….

Speshpaul

I’d be very surprise if you don’t come to a gentlemans agreement with Spesh over the next few days.
    Ultimately spesh want to keep you on a spesh.
    Let us know how you get on.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ooh – i have my first cracked frame – any advice chaps?’ is closed to new replies.