Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Onza Ibex 2.4 folder anyone?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Looking at a 2.4 folder dual compound which I understand is a tweaked HR

Reviews seem good is anybody using one on the front

Ta

Northwind

I just got one in 29er, not sure about it atm. It’s pretty highroller2esque and that’s good and bad. Rubber feels stickier, tread though I think is less grippy in anything loose or soft- maybe just because it’s pretty shallow. It’s not knocked me out, but more riding needed really.

nach
    Free Member

I’m riding a pair of them at the moment, and yes they remind me of high roller IIs. I’m finding they have plenty of grip, roll fast enough on dry days but can clear mud when they have to, and seem like a great all rounder tyre if I can’t be bothered to change sets according to the weather.

edit: I don’t tend to get loose dry stuff to ride in though, it’s either rocks or mud.

rocketman
    Free Member

daver27
    Free Member

used them a lot, Ace tyre, one of the best around in all honesty, but, the 2.4 is HUGE. the 2.25 is a better all round tyre

rocketman
    Free Member

I like big tyres they compensate for my lack of skill 🙂

welshfarmer

Had one in 26″ flavour. Did a week on the front in the Alps 2 years back and a week on the back in the Alps last year. Plus a whole lot around here in between. Can’t say I was overly blown away. Never had a puncture mind. Was rather hard to get it up tubeless. Prefer the Magic Mary on the front to be honest.

julzm
    Free Member

Interesting….
    I’m trying to find some decent ‘tweed valley’ tyres that will still be rounded on my 35/41mm rims (ibis 741). I had it between Onza ibex / citius combo and Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and back.

If an Ibex is like a HRII that not gonna work in current conditions. Anyone used them in mud?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have just fitted it and been out for a quick spin (damp rubble but not wet) and it is indeed indentical to a HRII. The tread pattern is the same but the sipes are slightly different. Quite possibly made by Cheng Shin aka Maxxis even the writing on the sidewall uses the same Yu-Gi-oh font. For a 2.4 it’s incredibly light (750g for the 26″) which has been achieved by making the tread blocks noticeably shallower than an HRII, so it looks like a uniformly worn HRII.

In use it is what it is no surprises really the dual compound works as expected and it makes its way around Cannock in a familiar surefooted kindof way. if you like HRIIs (which I do) you’ll feel at home with the Ibex

kimbers

I’m a fan, but the I like HR2s !
    Nice and wide, loads of grip, decent rolling last well
    Good in mixed conditions , but for proper mud its shorty time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Onza Ibex 2.4 folder anyone?’ is closed to new replies.