Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • OnOne are a bloody nightmare
  • xraymtb
    Free Member

So I ordered my new carbon 456 at 5pm last Wednesday. 12pm the next day my order changes to ‘ready to ship’. It then didnt go until Friday meaning I didn’t have it for the weekend. A small annoyance but its just the beginning.

The package arrives and I dive in to be met with my ‘gloss black’ frame.

Instant disappointment. Definitely not what I call gloss black. Digging deeper I find my dropouts but no bolts. And none with the frame either. So an email goes to OnOne who post out the bolts and ask for pics of the frame.

Pics sent that night I await a response. And dig deeper to find my decals – nicely covered in parcel tape from the protective cardboard they helpfully taped them in. So another email is sent.

I finally get a response today saying they are sending out more decals and that I was confusing a poor finish on the frame with ‘the natural fibre construction’. Now maybe I’m a bit dim but last time I checked gloss black and clear laquered bare carbon were not the same thing and I would worry if the fibre was visible through a layer of black paint!!

I point this out to be told they would mention it the people that do the web content!!! Oh and that I was welcome to return it if I want happy. Although going by their website they don’t have any others so I’m pretty well stuck.

I did remember about the paint seconds so questioned if this might be one of them? It would appear not.

Maybe I’m just getting worked up because its late and I still can’t ride my new bike but I think I’m done buying from them if this is the best they can do.

druidh
    Free Member

To be fair, it doesn’t look much like the photos on the website

However, naked carbon just looks so much better AND it’s lighter. What’s not to like?

mboy
    Free Member

They have a very “Yorkshire” way of dealing with customers…

They do however sell some great products at great prices… Even if sometimes they are slightly misadvertised…

6 of one, half a dozen of the other with them, but on the whole they’re decent and honest people, if massively disorganised.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That finish is utter shite. How can anyone defend that? Do they have a QC department?

Tom83

Is that a plug in the seat tube? I’d say the finish is quite poor, there’s been loads of frames shown here and on BR, and none look like that!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ordered from them on Monday and arrived on Tuesday. Happy days.

tony24
    Free Member

The finish looks right to me gloss finish over undirectional carbon weave. I love seeing the weave on mine specially in the sunlight 🙂

shoopnasty
    Free Member

I bought a whippet and it looks the same but never gave it a thought until now, your right it is definately not black gloss but I kinda like it.

Xylene
    Free Member

What carbon weave? You can’t see it, just looks like knackered lacquer to me.

althepal

Mum and baby dont seem too bothered about it!
    Can see your point though!

tony24
    Free Member

Thats wha undirectional carbon fibre looks like

onandon
    Free Member

Thats uni-directional carbon….thats the way it looks.

You were probably thinking of 3k carbon which looks like the top one.

robsoctane
    Free Member

What’s a ‘Yorkshire way of doing things’? 😕

BoardinBob

Ordered a summer season last friday at 11am

Still waiting for it to be shipped 🙁

cp

Well, carbon is black and the lacquer is gloss, so it is gloss black finish, just not painted gloss black.

It’s the same finish as my focus road bike – I really like it – it’s what carbon fibre looks like without the decorative weaved layer.

Agree the description prob could be ‘raw carbon’ or something.

avdave2

That finish is utter shite. How can anyone defend that? Do they have a QC department?

They do but their dog was at the vet the day that went out.

psycorp
    Free Member

I ordered a Ti 456 last Saturday. Website stated 2 left in stock. Got an email yesterday to say they couldn’t find the frame in the warehouse!!!!????!!!!????!!!!!, they didn’t know when they would be having any more in?????? and did I want a carbon 456 instead. Now if I’d wanted a carbon frame I would have bloody well ordered one wouldn’t I.

I wouldn’t be so pissed off but they did exactly the same thing when I ordered my Inbred late last year.

The prices may be good but their inventory/warehouse and customer service is utterly fugging shocking. Needless to say they lost an £800 order and I won’t be buying from them again until they pull their collective fingers out of their collective arses and sort it out.

[/Rant]

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks like a cheap massed produced carbon frame to me. Oh…

Nothing wrong with it mind. Just ride it.

wwaswas

mine looks like that – they’re plain carbon with a gloss laquer on them.

this is what it looks like built up;

I’m happy with mine although I can see the lack of bolts being a pia, though.

Janesy
    Free Member

you get what you pay for – cheap crap.
    Although im a proud owner of a Planet X nanolight. which is awesome.

But its like picking straws with these guys.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine’s a bit like that too…

Doesn’t bother me, you could cover it in glitter and it still wouldn’t be a pretty bike.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yup, you can’t polish a turd

bammy
    Free Member

I tried to order a Pomp in white with some upgrades, got through to the final payment stage twice, then I am notified items I have selected ( and listed as in stock) are not available(??. In the end I bought a Genesis Croix De Fer. Walked into a shop and got it there and then , weird eh?

onandon
    Free Member

They will all look like that – thats how they are supposed to look.

xraymtb
    Free Member

At the end of the day, I’m still going to ride it. Once I’ve thrown it down a few trails the finish doesnt matter to me. Its more the general lack of attention they seem to give things. The missing bolts issue isnt the first time I’ve read about this – the decals were just stupidly packaged from the start – the dispatch time doesnt match what they state (orders before 3pm dispatched same day) – and the frame finish isnt described accurately on their website.

It simply doesnt give me any faith that if I ordered something from them again it would be right so I would rather go elsewhere.

brant
    Free Member

Comments noted and taken on board.

I used to have a joke that “these gold hubs aren’t made of real gold”, but it doesnt seem that funny this morning.

In/out stock parts on builds is getting resolved with new building processes.

Thanks, sorry, and working to make it better and clearer.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with them and i love my C456! don’t get the ugly tag but then i’ve always liked things that are a bit diferent 🙂

They bent over backwards to help me when i ordered mine as well, i got the black and red one though so it doesn’t have the same finish as yours pictured.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering a C456 when my steel one wears out.. the looks have put me off a bit.. until now

I like that finish..

OP – is yours a 16″..?
    I’ll swap it for a very well used glittery brown steel one if you like..?

Houns

Ai doesn’t matter what finish it has, it’s still one fugly bike

Toasty

Same finish as my 2008 Carbon Zaskar Team, that claimed to be matt carbon, and looked nothing like the pictures on the GT website. Still, I snapped that mofo and got my money back, have at thee badly finished frame!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Chaka – Does your bike lean to the right when you ride it with all those zip ties on the chain stay ?!?

I think the frames would look good painted, but bloomin ugly unpainted.

kevin1911

I agree that finish doesn’t look very good quality. I too would be a bit peeved.

Personally, I think the 456 carbon is a great looking frame, when done with the right paintjob. Some of the limited edition ones with the underside of the down tube painted red/orange/green look great IMO. I have a green one, and think it looks really good.

druidh
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better, my carbon Blur XC is “finished” the same way and it cost a hell of a lot more than your 456….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Conversely my Ti456 turned up almost before I ordered it and had an additional 25% off… and the XTR pedals I ordered on Monday have just turned up today and are amazing.

I think they’re great.

MartynS

oh, they do look home made
    might be the way the light is falling on some of those pics

I like what on one do and how they do it, those carbon frames are not for me though

clubber
    Free Member

The funny thing really is that that’s how carbon really looks – people just think that the classic cosmetic top layer of carbon weave is how it *should* look despite it simply adding weight.

si-wilson
    Free Member

XTR pedals

tried em yet? new platform style, what they like?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Si – they’ve just turned up and I’m at work… but yep they’re the new ‘trail’ ones. Look awesome, probably won’t get out on them until tomorrow night or the weekend though 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Si,
    I had some of the first batch last winter, they work as XTR should but give a little more support.

Northwind

I had the same thing, with the bolts- then it turned out that they were switching designs and had none available. Old design use chainring bolts, seems to have caused them some sort of gigantic picking problem when they swapped over.

clubber – Member

The funny thing really is that that’s how carbon really looks – people just think that the classic cosmetic top layer of carbon weave is how it *should* look despite it simply adding weight.

Absolutely spot on. Most carbon with a pretty finish is basically wallpapered to give it the classic weave effect, but it just adds weight. People calling it “bad finishing” or “poor QC” are just showing their ignorance.

On the other hand, On One should probably be clearer about how it looks, call it “naked carbon” or something and have a decent pic, rather than “gloss black” which could make you expect a painted black frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘OnOne are a bloody nightmare’ is closed to new replies.