• This topic has 81 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Only got half the Insulin on our prescription today. Rationing?
  • Harry_the_Spider

In 8 years we’ve always been given 10 cartridges. Today we got 5. Hmmm.

DickBarton

Ran out of supply and gave what they could until the rest arrives tomorrow?

trail_rat
    Free Member

What reason was given when you queried the contents at the pharmacy ?

FB-ATB

If they ran out, they should give an owing note.

How long do 10 cartridges last? Our GP used to prescribe 2-3 months of our sons epilepsy tablets. About a year ago they cut down to only 28 days at a time.

Harry_the_Spider

Just had a look at the prescription and it states 5, not 10. Hmmm…

5 will do as long as the pen doesn’t get dropped.

tomhoward

5 cartridges, as in one box? I don’t think it’s rationing, as I’ve just got my usual amount (6 boxes each of levemir and novorapid) which normally last 3 months, speak to your GP.

fossy

We get 10 at a time for my son, but that’s for a pump, which holds a lot less. We often get 1 box of 5 with the rest to follow (usually a few days later).

We get a month’s supply at most for my son – can be 3 weeks – depends upon what he’s been eating. We have about 4 boxes of 5 in stock, so 6-8 weeks in reserve.

I’m 6 weeks behind on one of my prescriptions – can’t get stock. I have about 8 weeks supply, but I’m not telling the pharmacist that. Going to give it another couple of weeks as I’ll be 2 months supply behind, then speak to the doc about alternatives.

Harry_the_Spider

Novorapid and Levemir both now set at one box on the repeat form.

Got a couple in the fridge, but will put a request in for more Novorapid as we run a pen at home and one at school, both with a spare which only leaves us with one left as backup.

On the positive side… Blue Passports!

I really, really want to smack someone in the mouth right now.

tomhoward

If it’s a worry, ask for more. It’s not like you’ll not get through it before it goes out of date.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve put another request in.

tomhoward

On the positive side… Blue Passports!

My dad proudly proclaimed that insulin shortages were ‘project fear, dreamt up by remoaners’ Want his address?

Harry_the_Spider

Yes please.

mooman
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

Subscriber

… On the positive side… Blue Passports!

Looks to me you just looking for another excuse to cry about Brexit.
    Please keep such nonsense on the Brexit thread with the other loons please.

Harry_the_Spider

deleted before I get a ban

bikebouy
    Free Member

Please keep such nonsense on the Brexit thread with the other loons please.

No, not when it affects the health of the nation.

Go peddle your views with Farage.

tomhoward

what Harry said, pre edit.

Harry_the_Spider

In that case I’ll say it again.

**** you, my daughter’s meds have been halved.

Cougar

Looks to me like you’re just looking for another excuse to cry “project fear” about Brexit.

HTS’s shortfall may or may not be brexit-related. But you must see that you automatically assuming it isn’t is at least equally as rash as anyone else automatically assuming that it is?

Harry_the_Spider

Not a shortfall. GPs have halved the amount.

kelvin

Went to collect yesterday (novarapid pumpcart) … none … hopefully fulfilled Friday. Luckily we’ve been building up a small surplus… we were very much just in time last year, but made a plan to get ahead in case of supply issues this year…

Pharmacist had a “talk to your MP about shortages” poster up.

If the actual script has been changed, you can try talking to your GP to get it returned to what it was, but we find it gets done more quickly if we raise it at clinic and get the consultant to ask the GP.

They might be reducing scripts to see if they can… to avoid “waste”, which with shortages becomes essential to protect supplies and make sure everyone can get what they need, rather than about cost savings.

Cougar

And there is the small matter of the fact that we haven’t left yet.

Maybe a decade ago now, my mother suffered a stroke and whilst in hospital they purely by chance discovered that she was at imminent risk of double kidney failure.

Fast forward to today, she’s on a cocktail of drugs to thin this, thicken the other and generally keep her alive. A disruption in supply of any one of these drugs could in a very real sense kill my mum. And it’s totally project fear to suggest that might happen, of course.

Do you consider that a price worth paying, mooman? Because if you do I’d very much like to meet you in person to see if you’ve got the conviction to say that to my face.

Harry_the_Spider

Do you consider that a price worth paying, mooman? Because if you do I’d very much like to meet you in person to see if you’ve got the conviction to say that to my face.

That is way more eloquent than I’m capable of at the moment.

kelvin

Oh, we’ve had Levimir taken off our script completely this month, but we only have it for backup in case the pump fails, so will chase at next clinic. I think having to be active in keeping script details as required, and fighting to get away from the usual just in time collecting, should be everyone’s priority at the moment. Don’t get upset, but do get pushy.

tomhoward

That is way more eloquent than I’m capable of at the moment.

I found your method much more cathartic. After you are done with cougar, mooman, perhaps you could have a chat with me about how, even risking, me not having insulin would be good. I’ve first hand experience of what it’s like, and there are very few things I wouldn’t do to avoid it happening again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not rationing, and not related, and obviously nothing to do with brexit……..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49907056

fossy

There is something going on with medicine production at the minute, and it’s causing huge issues – more so when your life depends upon it. I’m not convinced it’s Brexit.

DrP

I get, on an almost daily basis, emails highlighting shortages of “this and that”, sometimes with suggestions, sometimes not…

Our meds management staff DO think it’s brexit related; the supply/demand isn’t being met, and it’ll only get worse.

DrP

tomhoward

There is something going on with medicine production at the minute, and it’s causing huge issues – more so when your life depends upon it. I’m not convinced it’s Brexit.

So what is it?

Drac

What DrP says NHS trusts are being updated pretty much daily with potential shortages there’s not an infinite source it’s a very real threat as weeks go by with a **** wit in charge.

They might be reducing scripts to see if they can… to avoid “waste”, which with shortages becomes essential to protect supplies and make sure everyone can get what they need, rather than about cost savings.

Very much that Kelvin

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow, mooman you’re not looking good in this thread so far.

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone else got the moral dilemma of Brexit voting family members being kept alive by increasingly scarce medicines? 🤔😢

spooky_b329

Restricting export of drugs. I wonder whether longer term, the EU will respond likewise when they don’t feel like selling us something…

Cougar

Probably less of a concern for the EU when we’re just one country after we leave and they’ll be 27.

They need us more than we oh I can’t be bothered any more.

Drac

Anyone else got the moral dilemma of Brexit voting family members being kept alive by increasingly scarce medicines?

No but my remain voting father and brother certainly are, realistically they’ll have weeks to live if supplies become desperate.

tomhoward

How long do the ****s brexiteers think type one diabetics can last without insulin, or how uncomfortable it is?

Feel a bit tired after a few months?
    Bit thirsty in a month?

My experience was somewhat different to that. I was in intensive care after 3 days of no insulin, another 36-48 hours and it would have killed me. I was in agony by the time I got to a&e, genuinely thought I was having a heart attack and never been in so much pain, like my skin was on fire. Never before has IV morphine been more appreciated.

Was in for a week, before anther week on the ward before being fit enough to go home.

Google Diabetic Ketoacidosis for a bit of light reading.

ANY shortage is a MASSIVE problem.

BoardinBob

Google Diabetic Ketoacidosis for a bit of light reading.

Typical remoaner scaremongering Tom. You just have to believe that your pancreas will suddenly start working again once were shot of the EU.

My Mrs is a T1. I’ve told her to get her prescription topped up asap. I’ll report back on how much she gets

Drac

Now you’re just scaremongering we’re in the EU and people still get Ketoacidosis.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I have worked in Analytical Services, Quality Control, Regulatory Affairs and now Quality Assurance within the pharmaceutical sector.

There isn’t.

It’s brexit.

And **** you, whilst I’m at it.

BoardinBob

Now you’re just scaremongering we’re in the EU and people still get Ketoacidosis.

You’ve never seen Claude Juncker and Ketoacidosis in the room at the same time. Makes you think!

mrmo
    Free Member

Typical remoaner scaremongering Tom. You just have to believe that your pancreas will suddenly start working again once were shot of the EU.

A colleague who was type 1 is now no longer. It did involve someone dying and a kidney and pancreas transplant…. So maybe a little extreme, but I am sure brexiteers are willing to donate their pancreases for the cause.

I have heard that some trusts are playing the export game and trying to make some money. Read up on An gorta Mór, things never really change, there is always money to be made when people are suffering.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Only got half the Insulin on our prescription today. Rationing?’ is closed to new replies.