• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by escrs.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Online wheel building service
  • escrs
    Free Member

What online shops still offer this service?

Chain reaction have a hope front wheel option but no rear wheel for some strange reason, they do have other options for nukeproof but im after hope pro 4’s built into stans flow mk3 rims

Merlin’s don’t seem to do custom wheel builds anymore as far as i can see

Don’t really want to order rims, hubs & spokes then find a local shop to build them as Ive never used any of them before so don’t know what their build quality is like, plus ill have to pay another £50+ for them to be built

I used to build my own wheels but don’t really have the time to do this anymore  (my wheel jig, tension meter and dishing tool are god knows where!)

gaidong
    Free Member

Action sport.de

samuelr
    Free Member

Ubyk built mine.

Hope pro4 on dtswiss xm481. Came true out of the box. I havent had to touch them in 2 months of riding. They are on a hardtail and used in Snowdonia.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers but Action sports make the wheels come in at over £500 from them, were as in the UK i can get them as low as £350

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers but  Ubyk are also coming in at £500

vmgscot

If you are after DT builds then that is where actionsport.de are often pretty competitive (just not for Hope)..

I had a set built with DT 240 hubs with EX471 rims at just under £500 beginning of year. Build are lasting well (not needed to touch yet).

Cheezpleez

Just Riding Along

jonnyrockymountain

r2-bike.com

danti

Cycle Fast in Halifax built my Pro4 on Stans Flow, great build not had to touch and good £.

mark90
    Free Member

Top notch hand build wheels http://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/

tomhoward

Do stif still do them?

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers guys, will check those other ones out

Not after DT builds, as said im after hope pro 4’s on stans flow mk3 rims

samuelr
    Free Member

There is 15% discount code for stw members on ubyk

daviek

Where are you finding a build like that for £350?

escrs
    Free Member

Just riding along no hope hubs

r2-bike.com coming in at nearly £600!!!

Cylcefast no online wheel build option

Ryanbuilds wheel no online wheel build option

Stif cycles as far as i can see don’t offer a wheel build option

Just had this reply from crc

As we are currently reconfiguring our ” CustomWheel Build Inventory ”  some Custom Build Options are currently unavailable.
    As we continue to improve on this and see more stock arriving, then the Hope Custom Rear Wheel Build will become available online once more.</span>

Slightly annoying as they have all the parts i want in stock!

deadkenny
    Free Member

PT Cycles

I used to use JRA but they stopped doing custom builds other than with their own hubs. Couple of sets from PT and been excellent so far. Fairly quick given typical turnaround times for a wheel build, nicely bedded in, stayed true, great service.

nixie

£350 seems very cheap. You’ve got £200+ of hubs, £120ish of rims, £40 ish for spokes and the build cost. Think you’d struggle to get the components for that.

escrs
    Free Member

It looks like no one can match chain reaction at £350

Ill have to wait until their rear wheel build option comes back on the website

tomhoward

As above, I reckon it’s 330 for the rims and hubs you want (online prices not rrp) so add spokes and build I’m thinking 350 might be a little optimistic…

scotroutes

in the UK i can get them as low as £350

Get them there then.

It looks like no one can match chain reaction at £350

Ill have to wait until their rear wheel build option comes back on the website

Given what’s going on at Wiggle/CRC that might never happen.

tomhoward

And if you ring/email stif, they will email you a quote. (They did for me)

mark90
    Free Member

Ryanbuilds wheel no online wheel build option

He’s a one man band in a little workshop so website isn’t up to the same standards are the big online players. Drop him and e-mail with what you want and he’ll give you a quote, I don’t expect it will be far off the Moonglu pricing, but you get artisan man in a shed built wheels 🙂

widge34
    Free Member

Neil Dunkley at Moonglu. Sorted me out and was very helpful and understanding when I made a balls up with order.

escrs
    Free Member

Checked on Chain reaction this afternoon and the rear wheel option as been put back on!

I was slightly wrong on price, not £350 but £375 in total

Still a bloody good price so they have been ordered

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just used the CRC custom Hope front and rear road disc wheel configurator and the price comes out at ~£275 using the Prime Pro Disc rims, before BC discount… That’s ~£40 cheaper than buying the Prime Pro Disc wheelset with what I believe are re-badged Novatec hubs.

Would love to know the approx weight compared to the ~1450g Prime Pro Disc wheelset.

Seems very good deal for just under £250 with BC!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

No 29er EX511 or Stans Flow rims available on the CRC wheel builder dammit.

lesgrandepotato

Another one for moonglu here. Built my stans crest on hopes which I battered round the lakes and Morocco without missing a beat

escrs
    Free Member

Less than 24hrs and they are built and shipped, happy days!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Online wheel building service’ is closed to new replies.