Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Online video sharing – Luddite alert
  • csb

Having just had a baby we want to share silly little videos with family. I know of Youtube but what are the other options? Any reason why not create an account there and share the links?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The thing with YouTube is that it is well supported by many devices for both viewing and sharing/uploading: Internet-enabled “Smart” TVs, phones, tablets etc. For that reason alone I reckon it’s your best option.

csb

OK, joined you tube.

But why is it taking soooo long to upload a 1 minute video (AVI file) that I took on my camera?

spooky_b329

Also try Vimeo. How big is the AVI file?

nickjb
    Free Member

YouTube is generally pretty slow to upload but still probably your best option. Another option is to use a file sharing site and let people download the file, not as slick but the quality will be better.

csb

141 mb. Is that massive then? It’s taken over an hour!

stumpyjon

I prefer Vimeo personally.

GrahamS

Welcome to the “A” part of “ADSL”

Asymmetric.

Upload speed is typically 1/8th of download speed.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…and yes 141Mb is very large. Depending on how long your video was I suspect you uploaded at a quality excessively high for the likes of You Tube. What did you film it on and how did you upload it? A modern smart phone can film, edit and upload to You Tube quickly and easily by keeping smallish file sizes and maintaining enough quality for online viewing, but if you’re doing so at a camcorder’s native resolution they’ll be big old files.

EDIT just read your posts again. 141Mb for 1 minute?? Really? That is huge. That’s 14Gb for a full feature film’s worth! That’s more than what you’d find on a commercial Hollywood DVD for the entire movie and extras! 😯

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I prefer Vimeo personally.

Why?

Cougar

Welcome to the “A” part of “ADSL”

This. Your broadband connection may well be quite quick downloading, but dog slow uploading.

Be patient, or reduce the file size before uploading.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Online video sharing – Luddite alert’ is closed to new replies.