Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • online shaving companies
  • Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sorry, had a quick look and the only threads I could find were about genitals or legs or Victorian death traps.

Need to shave, in the past it’s been Gillette mach 3’s which I’ve got on with but silly money in a supermarket.

Has anyone tried one of these online/post to your door razor companies that always pop up on instagram etc.

Any of them any good, are they much better value or quality than gillette’s etc, any recommendations?

Thanks

Jim

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

Harry’s are OK.

I’m not sure they are that much better, or that much cheaper than Gillette etc. But at least 7% of every £ I spend with them is going to Roger Federer

Premier Icon sadexpunk

ok ill be first to suggest it….. 😀

blades

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

Get yourself a merkur 23 if you new to old type razor blades or the 41 if you want to go full on.

Double edged shaving a bit daunting to begin with. But much better than safety razors.

Premier Icon kahl
    Free Member

I buy Dorco razer refills from Amazon. Pace I think the model is. No complaints, switched from Gillette and these are cheaper, give me a better shave and blades last a bit longer.

Premier Icon Cougar

What sadexpunk said. You’re just swapping one excessively expensive system for another.

Further reading: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/de-shaving-novice-advice-please

Premier Icon dmck16
    Free Member

Yet another vote for a DE set up.

Both your skin and wallet will thank you. It should only take a few attempts to learn the angles, and once you’ve figured it out it’s just like riding a bike…

Premier Icon dannybgoode

DE or even get down to it and learn to shave with a straight razor. I’ve dug mine out, honed it, stropped it and it’s super 🙂

Premier Icon Moe

I’ve used Bold King for a few years, always deliver blades on time. Simple straight forward and one less thing to worry about running out of.

Premier Icon igm

it’s just like riding a bike…

Most of the time it’s fine. Occasionally you get things wrong and lose a lot of skin.

DE shaving is easier than that though.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

My god, I dipped into that shaving thread.
    My life isn’t so complicated but blimey I’m surprised at the lengths people are going to, not sure I want all that.
    I like the idea of the old school but it sounds a hugely hit or miss affair.

Premier Icon sadexpunk

its only as complicated as you want it. billy basic razor and a pile of blades is enough, and cheaper than the usual suspects.
    dont want to delve into the world of brushes, soaps and creams, pre-shave lotions etc, then dont, just use the canned goo that youd normally use.

youll just have swapped your expensive gillette catridge razor for a DE razor with cheapo blades, thats all.

Premier Icon gastromonkey

I use Harrys. It’s easy and it’s a little bit cheaper than buying the traditional brands. I like the home delivery and that I don’t have to think about buying blades. When I first started using it Mrs G thought I was using new blades for every shave.

Watch out for the single blade on the back of the cartridge. I caught my self with it and it took a chunk out of my cheek. It looked like I’d been in a knife fight. In 3 years of using them it’s the only cut of any note and it was because I was rushing and not paying attention.

Premier Icon DezB

Harrys razors are crap. I only realised when I swapped back to Hydros. I have no desire to be my grandad, so not interested in DE (although, apparently it has more environmental credentials, if thats a reason to go through all that faff).
    The multi blades replacements can be found cheap online eg. Amazon, not sure why they’re expensive in the shops.

Premier Icon jrawarren

I’ve tried a few (Harry’s, Cornerstone, Dollar Shave Club, etc) they all have really cheap trials (that you can easily cancel the subscription on), so I would say try some out.

I liked the look & quality of Harry’s a lot, but have a tough beard and the razor head rubber hinge was just too floppy to do a decent job. Ended up with Dollar Shave Club – doesnt look anything special, but shaves as well as Gillette but at much less cost.

Looked at the DE stuff, interested but bottom line is im just too dozy and sleep deprived first thing in the morning to trust myself with edged weapons!

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

The multi blades replacements can be found cheap online eg. Amazon

Because a lot are knock offs, unless you buy from Amazon, not the marketplace.

Harrys went off for a bit, but the blades seems better now. Tried going back to Gillette but wasn’t great

Premier Icon igm

For what it’s worth, I’m presently bearded, but when shaving I found I needed a new Gillette multi blade (mach3, fusion, whatever) every time or it caught and trashed my face. Very corse hair.

DE with Feathers and I can use the blade a few times no problem – or swap it every time as it’s cheap.

Premier Icon mehr
    Free Member

DE all the way an initial investment of £50 will last you ages. I bought a Merkur 33C, 100 Astra blades a half decent brush and a just used 69p Palmolive shave sticks and apart from the sticks it lasted 3 1/2 years

Now I’m using a 34C and feathers

Premier Icon Cougar

Looked at the DE stuff, interested but bottom line is im just too dozy and sleep deprived first thing in the morning to trust myself with edged weapons!

The only ‘edged weapon’ really is when you’re changing the blades. A blade in a DE razor isn’t all that much different from a blade in a cartridge razor.

Multi-blade cartridge razors are a big fat scam. Think about Gillette’s slogan back in the Sensor days – “the first blade shaves incredibly close… the second closer still!” So what’s the point of the first blade then? Fast forward to today and they’ve got cartridges with five blades in. Five! Why?! That’s sheer madness, it’s four too many.

Premier Icon Skankin_giant
    Free Member

DE, anything else is a waste of money. I think I’ve spent £12 in blades in the past 3 years.

Premier Icon Futureboy77
    Free Member

DE all the way. I haven’t bought a cartridge type razor in around 10 years.

Premier Icon IvanDobski

Tried DE, much preferred the ability to chuck a gillette mach 9 turbo around my face, in the shower, no mirror, in under a minute no drama.

I like the idea of DE, I even bought a shavette thing but if you just want to get it done AS…and as easily…AP then they’re pretty limited in my experience.

Premier Icon DezB

Because a lot are knock offs, unless you buy from Amazon, not the marketplace.

Uh, duh, if only I was intelligent enough to realise there is fake stuff sold on da net. 😂

Premier Icon Woody

Have used DE and cheapo double blades from the supermarket for years. Cheapos are ok for when you don’t have much time and need a quick ‘once over’ but no comparison to a proper DE shave.

As per ^^ Merkur seem to be the most reliable choice but blades are trial and error to find out what suits you best. Feathers are my favourite but you really need to take your time initially, and dont try them, or DE for that matter, the morning of any important event!

A decent brush is also a good investment as cheap ones will lose hairs quickly and wont do the the job properly. YouTube guides are your friend on this and well worth 20 minutes before your first attempt.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.