Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Online route planning?
  • scc999

Tried to use Komoot – but it’s a real pile of shit. Happy to send you down footpaths and if you are trying to plan a route that gets near to a previous part of the same route it decides to change everything you’ve already plotted as it thinks it knows better.
    There’s no “undo” button and deleting a waypoint (or multiple waypoints) doesnt take you back to what you had already planned.

Right, now I’ve got that off my chest – any decent alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

trailwagger
    Free Member

For offroad I don’t think there is anything that beats manually plotting waypoints on a digital OS map.
    I use walklakes, its a nice simple interface.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bikehike.co.uk and/or Strava route planner.

You can use the Strava heatmap (which is free, I think) alongside the OS maps on bikehike which is good but slower than using Strava to plan with reference to the OS maps on Bing.

scc999

Thanks folks, I’ll try bikehike then Strava!

thepurist

where’s the path and bikehike are still my go to options. I used to prefer using bikehike with a satellite view rather than the map, but that option seems to have disappeared recently.

pdw
    Free Member

that option seems to have disappeared recently.

Yeah, sadly it fell foul of the Google Maps change in terms for the API.

For off-road stuff I generally end up tracing routes (i.e. follow roads turned off) on the openstreetmap view, with reference to the OS map in the second window. OS map gets the RoWs right, but OSM is more accurate in terms of position and what’s actually on the ground as it’s mostly based on GPS traces.

dknwhy

Viewranger does route planning on OS maps using bike options on bridleways now. Worked fine for me the last time I used it.

whitestone
    Free Member

The real loss in bikehike was the off-road auto-routing that the Google Maps gave you on tracks and bridleways, now you have to go point to point.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Strava

Pile of old crocks…

I’m returning on and on to Ride with GPS. All my best planning and plotting still sitting there.

Easy to switch between “follow the route” and “manual” makes a lot of sense for me.

Cheers!
    I.

lunge

Strava with heatmaps.
    Works really well for me, albeit mainly got trail running. Same principle as MTB though.

ElShalimo

Ride with GPS total ascent can be up to 30% under if my recent rides are anything to go by

bails

I use the official OS site, it’s only £20 or so for the whole year and you can plot routes, import and export GPX files, see others routes, print maps and save routes/map areas to your phone for when you’ve got no signal.

Bikehike is good too for having Google and OS maps side by side.

impatientbull

Strava with heatmaps here. Great for telling you where the path actually goes and where the ‘unofficial’ trails are. The resolution of the heatmaps in the route planner isn’t as high as on the dedicated heatmaps page though.

slowoldman

I use cycle.travel mostly though it’s far from perfect as its algorithms sometimes send you where you don’t want to go. Plotaroute is OK too and allows you to select bike or foot. This matters sometimes because the routing of both of these depends on open sourcing. That means the general public submit paths and path types (hence routing) and I find often they don’t have a clue what the status of a road or path is or the implications on routing of some of their submissions. The best one I’ve found so far is a stile on a road!

northernsoul

Viewranger does route planning on OS maps

+1 I make the route in a browser on my laptop and then sync to my phone. There are some quirks – you need to have bought map tiles on the device to see them in the browser for example – and the editing is a bit basic if you want to make significant changes to an existing route.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Online route planning?’ is closed to new replies.