Online retailer sells Unavailable goods – rights?

Home Forum Bike Forum Online retailer sells Unavailable goods – rights?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Online retailer sells Unavailable goods – rights?
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Vendor is in the right. Mistakes happen and they have no obligation to provide you with the goods other than in a “reasonable” time. If they’ve offered you a refund then they need do no more. A similar thing happened to me On One occasion…..except there was nowhere else I could buy said item.

Personally, I don’t think you should be charged until stock is despatched. That’s how it worked in the shop I worked in.

Rorschach

Reverb (runs away).
    Life’s too short….move on.You’ll get an ulcer.

mattbibbings

Purely a laymans response.

I would hope at the least they would be offering you
    A) an apology for their cock up
    B) an equal or better version of the same item at no extra cost
    C) full refund and promise of a percentage off your next purchase with them by way of recompense for your inconvenience if the above is not possible

I had a similar problem with Evans which they resolved well. A fork I ordered got sent as the wrong model (9mm qr instead of bolt through). They then sent the same fork again a second time. By that point they admitted they did not have the forks to send that I had ordered. I, like you, had a confirmation email of my purchase and just wanted what I had paid for. To Evans credit not only did they apologise but they gave me a credit note for £50 and they sent me a fork that was of a higher spec too. The result is that I feel warm and fuzzy about their customer service and would and have ordered from them again.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

These things happen. You can’t expect the vendor to send you something they don’t have or to take a loss. Although when I’ve missed out on a bargain because I haven’t moved quick enough, I’ve always got a refund automatically along with the out-of-stock email which is obviously preferable to having to chase for a refund.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

People and businesses make mistakes.
    Move on or you’ll give yourself an ulcer.

nigelb001

Hi,
    I’m not naming companies or products as it would be unfair and unhelpful as I’m still hoping to resolve this in a pleasant manner.

When a thread starts like that, as several have done recently, you just know what is going to happen. 🙄

Go on then you lot, get stuck in!!

Rorschach

After the fact much?

Rorschach

Have you tried threatening to set their shed on fire?

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Are burning sheds and threats actually likely to get a positive response?

I began by saying I wasn’t naming names as I was interested to hear the views of others on a customer service/sales point.

If I wanted to go muck throwing I’m sure I could, but I don’t think it would help anyone at this time.

As for ulcers? Shops that can’t supply after taking the money aren’t worth it.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Have you tried threatening to set their shed on fire

😀 i see what you did there

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

Tbf – you shouldn’t be charged til it’s been dispatched

That’s a sign of a bad retailer (unless you’re paying by PayPal)

chief9000

Well of course your situation is a little annoying. Even more so as you were prepared to receive something at a good price and now have to look at a more costly alternative. This would get me going too. However, its the emotional response, wait a day or two and cool down. No point stressing about it as they will do nothing, take your business elsewhere next time.

bigyinn

So the supplier’s system says they have stock, payment taken, turns out they don’t have stock after all when person goes to get item off shelf. So you have two choices.
    1) Wait for an indeterminite time for item to be back in stock
    2) Accept refund and find item somewhere else at higher price.
    Are you suggesting they should make a loss just to fulfill your order? Aint gonna happen! And why should it? Mistakes happen and nobody died. That good enough.
    Meanwhile in other news 100s of families are mourning the dead in Oaklahoma today.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Hi,
    I’m not naming companies or products as it would be unfair and unhelpful as I’m still hoping to resolve this in a pleasant manner. I’m also asking for no ‘… Was it this company?’ replies please.
    A well known webstore advertised a limited quantity of a popular item at a great price. Many people, including me, bought one. When I bought mine they were shown as being in stock and I received a confirmation – and my card was charged for the full amount. Two days later I got another confirmation email.
    Five days later I had not received my order so I sent a chase email.
    Eight days later I get a reply saying they haven’t got any and denying any contract existed.
    After email discussion with vendor on day nine, vendor admits in writing that their stock control system has issues and there are serious flaws in their website. Vendor offers different (not useful) alternative item – given this was a very specific item and it should have been obvious that the alternative was not an equivalent.
    Vendor gets wrapped up in telling me how their preferred supplier cannot sell any more anytime soon – but plenty of other stores have the exact item – at a higher price.
    Vendor continually ducks the card charged when no stock point and is eventually dropping the more ‘this is how it is’ tone, also offering refund or ‘wait months for our supplier – maybe – no guarantee of stock’.
    My point is that vendor knew all along this could happen (points about web code above) and has sat on my money nearly two weeks now – and is seeking to disadvantage me rather than themselves as buying same item from a competitor is going to cost me more – but vendor doesn’t appear to want to bear any penalty themselves putting this right.
    Am I being unreasonable here?
    i just want what I paid for, and don’t really consider the vendors’ problems to be mine…

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Am I being unreasonable here?

Yes all they owe you is your money back.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Oh and FWIW, many retailers show all items as “in stock” otherwise they don’t appear on Google Shopping.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the responses.

A representative of the vendor has heard about the issue and been in touch, and thanks to an unexpected restock we have a likely solution that’s keeping everyone happy.

I feel guilty about having started the thread and regret having done so, as really it was just a pouty vent.

I’ve had truly excellent customer service this evening that I probably didn’t deserve after popping off like that.

Hopefully this thread can die in peace now and not become some sort of flamebaity monster.

sugdenr

I’m happy to name names – Evans do this, but in theircase they won’t send you the item or bother to refund you. Had to raise a paypal dispute against them. Paypal is yor friend 😈

satchm00

Just send it into Watchdog.

Argos are great at advertising discounts on products never in stock 😀

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I have had it a few times paid money left delivery in some months then a 4 day wait for a refund. Now I try and shop where I can see or touch the product or speak to a person. Much easier seems to be working out fine for me really. I may pay a little more but I get the stuff as advertised.

As for not taking payment until dispatch CRC take the cash as soon as you hit go, then pack and prepare your order as do most automated shops.

In the end move on.

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

Hmmm – I was mainly speaking from experience in web commerce stuff in IT that I’ve done where an authorisation is placed on the card initially and then payment is taken on dispatch

However, given the DIstance Selling Guidelines allow up to 30days before you have to return payment if the goods aren’t received then I may be incorrect in making the assumption I did!

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

The other thing that many shops are doing is listing what is in stock with the distributor, on the basis that they can get it delivered to the shop and then to the customer in a few days. If they were being honest about this, that would be fine. Some (the good ones) give three delivery timescales (now, within a few days, something even longer).

phil.w

While advertising stock you don’t have is hardly the best way of doing business generally I think you have to accept it’s what happens when shopping online.

IMO what makes it an issue or not is how the fallout is handled by the retailer. From my experiences I’ve had it both ways.

A terrible experience from On One who make you believe they couldn’t care less, which has stopped me shopping with them again.

And conversely a rather apologetic phone call and further discount of a replacement item from Tweeks when the same thing happened with them.

It’s things like this that affect where you shop.

rocketman

Happens all the time

After a while you get to know the retailers who have stuff in stock and those who list what they could get if you placed an order and the distributor has it

Biggest clues are when no-one else has the item in stock or the old classic ‘normally available in x days’

bigyinn

Perhaps now they have rectified your complaint and you are now happy with the resolution you should name them?

muddyground

However, given the DIstance Selling Guidelines allow up to 30days before you have to return payment if the goods aren’t received then I may be incorrect in making the assumption I did!

But this only applies if they have the goods and send them out surely? If they don’t even have them in the first place…..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Online retailer sells Unavailable goods – rights?’ is closed to new replies.