Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Online prescription glasses
  • Just had an eye test at Vision Express and seen some Oakley frames (normal glasses, not riding) @ £240 with single vision lenses.

An online search throws up various options around the £90 mark.

I’d like to know which ones are reputable/good service, so who does the STW collective use?

Ta

twicewithchips
    Free Member

ciliary blue did some whiskers for me recently – there was a supplement for the curvature of the lens needed, but otherwise good service I thought.

Tracey

We have used a few and just had their lenses fitted

RX Sport, Select Specs and Optic Shop have all been good

porlus
    Free Member

Asda do Oakley for £150.

footflaps

Vision Express are very expensive esp considering their whole USP, glasses in under an hour, went years ago. I had to wait 3 weeks for mine….

I’ll just order online next time.

rOcKeTdOg

select specs do some Oakley, i tend to get their £10 frames (not oakley obvs) though as i destroy them, optician tested the accuracy of the lenses and gave them a thumbs up

Asda do Oakley for £150.

Can’t see them in their brand selection online. Nearest to Matlock is Crystal Peaks and cba to go there to look

BillOddie

I have had a few sets of prescription Oakleys, sunglassesd and “normal”.

All bought online.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/ (2 sets, 2x Oakley superlab sunnies)

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend http://www.pretavoir.co.uk/ (1 set, normal glasses)

I wouldn’t hesitate to dissuade you from using http://www.fashioneyewear.co.uk (1 set, normal glasses)

rossburton
    Free Member

Both my “normal” glasses and my Oakleys have been reglazed with Ciliary Blue, certainly cheaper than high street opticians!

Order by midnight on the 6th and there’s a 10% discount with the code Autumn17.

somouk
    Free Member

I used Ciliary Blue to have some lenses put in my Ray Bans and they were pretty good.

skids
    Free Member

I have bought Oakley prescription glasses from both Selectspecs and RXsport, no problems. Oakley chamfer and Hyperlink

km79
    Free Member

Anyone using Adidas Evil Eye Evo Pro either with directly glazed prescription or clip-on inserts? Any issues?

paulwf

I used this lot for some Oakley glasses https://www.barclayandhurst.co.uk/

Very pleased with the service and much cheaper than I was quoted elsewhere

Thanks for all the replies – gone with BillOddies recommendation of pret a voir after browsing a few/looking at available stock etc

Oakley Currencies with silver option lenses, Kodak clean & clear – £145 all in

(image from elsewhere)

ssboggy

Looks like I’m probably too late but RX sports as mentioned do Oakley’s but will also send out a selection of 3 frames to try at home for very little cash.

Cheers ssboggy – I’ve tried these frames amongst a load of others in the shop and really liked these anyway.

You still out with DVATC?

mmannerr

Oakley Currency frame was a failure to me, the stem length is shortish and they do not stay on very well even when adjusted by optician. Any sweat on the nose and they fall off.

Part of the reason is that my lenses have fairly different prescription, hence weight difference on lenses and I do have fairly large head so stems do not reach properly.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Agree with the above, had a very similar Oakley frame and they were rubbish at staying on face, despite many, many adjustments at the optician. Just had some truss rod frames delivered and they’re much more secure fitting and not from the 70’s

ssboggy

You still out with DVATC?

Sort of! I had a operation on my little finger a week and a bit ago so won’t be out for a few weeks until it’s healed. It’s got about 10 stitches in at the moment.
    I’m sure I’ll see you in the Church before too long (Church Inn just in case anyone was wondering :D)
    Are you getting out much?

Oakley Currency frame was a failure to me, the stem length is shortish and they do not stay on very well even when adjusted by optician. Any sweat on the nose and they fall off.

Pretty mild prescription for me, so lighter lenses and I don’t need to wear glasses when I’m doing anything that makes me sweat. They seemed a nice fit in the shop on my odd shaped heed

Just had some truss rod frames delivered and they’re much more secure fitting and not from the 70’s

Each to their own – different frames suit different faces. I’d look like my grandad trying to be Robocop wearing those – and I’m seriously hoping you don’t mean the rimless version

Sort of! I had a operation on my little finger a week and a bit ago so won’t be out for a few weeks until it’s healed. It’s got about 10 stitches in at the moment.
    I’m sure I’ll see you in the Church before too long (Church Inn just in case anyone was wondering :D)
    Are you getting out much?

Had various lay-offs, due to broken jaw (riding), which you probably read about and broken rib (pissed), working away – currently home, but working nights, so won’t be in the Church much on Tuesdays – or riding with the DORK on Thursdays. Went to BPW at the weekend for our annual jaunt though, which was a blast as usual, if a bit wet! Maybe catch you soon – I’ll come and say hello next time

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yeah, mine were ok for about a week after each adjustment but they just seemed to flex out all the time, and would fall off just looking down 🙁 With hindsight, I should just have rejected them as not fit for purpose.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive been getting on well with some keel blades – they grip well and are light.

need to find new ear socks and nose pads – but thats not bad for 5 years and 3 sets of lenses.

burt
    Free Member

I’m waiting for some Oakley 5 squard’s to be delivered to my local vision express. The service I got there was fantastic. The sales guy was very good, absolutely no pressure to buy. The price was £35 more than online, for that I get a whole lot of peace of mind knowing I can just pop in and sort anything out

ssboggy

Had various lay-offs, due to broken jaw (riding), which you probably read about and broken rib (pissed), working away – currently home, but working nights, so won’t be in the Church much on Tuesdays – or riding with the DORK on Thursdays. Went to BPW at the weekend for our annual jaunt though, which was a blast as usual, if a bit wet! Maybe catch you soon – I’ll come and say hello next time

Did see the thread about the jaw but missed the broken rib episode.
    I did my collar bone in March crashing coming down into Bakewell golf course, hopefully see you about before too long.

The price was £35 more than online, for that I get a whole lot of peace of mind knowing I can just pop in and sort anything out

I gave the girls in the shop every chance to give me a good price – they just said they couldn’t price match online. Told them if they could get a bit closer then I’d rather use them, but they didn’t seem interested.

I did my collar bone in March crashing coming down into Bakewell golf course

Ouch, not many soft places to land down there

seb
    Free Member

I used Pretavoir and they have been great every time.
    Vision Express quoted me £500+ and I ended up paying £160 with Pretavoir.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Currency frames tend to be a bit heavy and are a pain to adjust due to their build. Carbon plate and metal plate frame are very nice though.

Hope yours are suitable

Edit- was thinking of different model, currency are not heavy but tend to slide around very easily as there’s not much pressure from the sides as thy have the slightly guff titanium sprung hinge.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Service from Pretavoir was spot on and the glasses are great.

Prescription seems bang on, but that could be down to vision express.

The Oakley Currencies are a really nice fit, no issues yet

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Online prescription glasses’ is closed to new replies.