• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Online photo prints
  • DezB
    Free Member

Fed up with Photobox, now their website is rubbish and the prints always come out too dark.
    Who should I go with?
    Pixmania
    Snapfish
    other?

woody2000

My other half uses Snapfish, prints always seem ok to me. Don’t know what they’re like price wise, but don’t think they’re too expensive. Must be pretty easy to use too, as my good lady isn’t the most computer savvy person around 🙂

stumpy01

Snapfish is meant to be good, as is Jessops.

I always use Photobox, but agree their website does seem a little pony. It was much better when it was simpler.

As for the prints coming out too dark, have you looked at the images on another computer? It could be that your monitor is displaying them differently to how Photobox is interpreting them.
    I have never had an image from Photobox that hasn’t appeared as it does on the screen.

scuttler

Snapfish have a bargain promotion on until the end of today (13th) so you’d be mad to not try them.

See http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/315084/1p-prints-up-to-50-6×4-photos-hp-sn/

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m bound to say that Photobox will almost certainly work to a fixed standard, and if your prints are too dark, I’d look to your own monitor first. They also provide a reference print facility I think…

DezB
    Free Member

I have looked at them on my wife’s laptop, my pc monitor and my work laptop.

I print a few myself and they come out fine. The same prints come back from Photobox with duller colours (than from my £50 bubble-jet).

So I’m dumping the buggers.

GrahamS

Photobox supply a reference print which you can then compare to the same print on their website.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/content/quality-advice/calibration

One thing to check: are you converting your prints to sRGB before uploading them? If you are viewing them in a different colour profile (like Adobe RGB) then they will look murky if printed as sRGB.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Graham, but I do dislike the website layout enough to change.
    I mean: you open a photo on page 2 (there is no longer a “show all” option), you click back and it takes you back to page 1. It’s just crap.

GrahamS

Not really played with the new site yet, but I just had a look at my albums and it looks okay to me. Shows me all the photos in the album, I click on on and it shows me more detail on it, then from there I can go forward and back.

Having said that I only really use it for printing so I’m not bother about the web album part of it – I just use Picasa Web Albums for that.

paulf
    Free Member

See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-photo-prints for deals.

Haven’t tried others but Truprint have a decent site and quality and prices seem fine

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Dez, if you need anything A3, I’ve got an A3 printer!

I owe you a little something for the bearings, anyway, mate.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve not had prints done but foto.com did some cracking photobooks. I got 5 of them, all excellent. The two I got from photobox took ages and are falling apart.

I’m only assuming their prints are as good of course, but they’re who I’d use.

santacruzsi

I use Snapfish, quite good and generally quick delivery or you can collect at your local Jessops store. Prints are pretty cheap.

stumpy01

A bit old I know, but hey ho….

I think you might be onto something DezB with this Photobox thing.

I ordered some pics that arrived this morning from Photobox and they all seem darker than I remember them being when fiddling with them on the computer. One of them is a copy of a pic I had printed a few months ago (as I creased that one), so I’ll compare it later and see if it is darker than the last time it was printed. Hmmmm.

Did you end up trying anyone else? If so, who and were they any good? Much appreciated.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use foto.com

mangoridebike

i use snapfish and they’ve always been good and seem cheap too. They do a next pickup from your local Jessops if you want them quickly too. The current offer is very good

stumpy01

I had a quick look at those sites and they do look pretty good.

I comapared the pic I already had done from Photobox with the latest one and too all intents and purposes it is the same, to be fair. There is a slight difference in the colours but too small to be seen unless you really look.
    I think it is some of the pics, rather than the developing.

I thought it only fair to Photobox to update this.

DezB
    Free Member

I can update too – I took advantage of a free offer from Snapfish and got the same batch of pics printed that I had done at Photobox.
    In general the Photobox prints were better. Especially the outdoors ones, which had better colours than the Snapfish ones.

I still hate the new Photobox website, for reasons mentioned above, so am still looking.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Online photo prints’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.