Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Online ordering. The downsides.
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Ordered a few things online over the last few weeks, nearly all of them of them haven’t been delivered 🙁

Two pairs of jeans from Next: Dispatched but disappeared into the void. Had to go into town on Sunday and get the replacements from the store.
    A few bottles of Halo Sports Wash from Amazon. The delivery driver attempted 3 deliveries and never even managed to get into the building (flats), strange how on the times they said he attempted I was A: home and B: other people got their Amazon deliveries. Refund pending.
    Ordered a tyre for the bike from one of the online places, was dispatched with a missing part of the address so delivery never happened. Contacted the company who asked me to confirm the address, which I did, but now no contact so I’m without a tyre and no refund.
    Ordered a new set of inks for my printer on Thursday. Delivered yesterday evening but they are not the ones listed on the order and they have leaked inside the sealed box. Company refusing to refund as I’ve signed for it!

It’s meant to save time but all it’s done is waste mine and cost me more money than if I’d gone to a physical shop in the first place!

Progress eh?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bike stuff is a bit different as the might of CRC means they can undercut most physical retailers, but for lots of other things it’s no longer cheaper to buy on-line.

Most consumer goods these days are the same price on-line, you just pay for delivery and as per the OP, unless you can have stuff delivered to work it’s a faf. Pay extra on top of the delivery charge and have it arrive at the weekend and spend all day waiting for it, or roll the dice with the couriers, I can’t remember the last time a courier actually knocked the door with something for us.

Not that it’s much easier these days to shop physically, town centres are jam packed and for some reason our city centre has decided ‘shopping’ is a fun thing to do and not a chore and made a sort of shopping theme park.

God bless out of town shopping, even if that does mean I look like the front window of Next.

Jamie
    Free Member

A few bottles of Halo Sports Wash from Amazon.

My local Sainsbury’s sell is for £4 if that helps.

Not as in you go to my local Sainsbury’s, but yours might stock it to save on another delivery.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Flaperon

I think you’ve been unlucky, since I order nearly everything online and rarely have a problem.

Moral of the story is only order from Amazon (who are pretty good in my experience of using Prime), or companies with a good reputation or who are online only.

High street brands trying to do online orders rarely get it right. The exceptions to this are PC World and Evans Cycles, who both seem to have figured out how to do web sales properly.

Name and shame the company refusing your ink refund.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

My experience has been very different

Pretty much everything I order gets delivered on-time. Whatever you say about Amazon their delivery is outstanding.

Alphabet

I think you’ve been very unlucky. Apart from food I order nearly everything else on line and rarely if ever have issues. I get my stuff delivered either to home or work.

oikeith

Both of me and the wife work so are never in for parcels so I always use the collect plus option , I have actually not ordered from places that dont offer this.

These days also, I dont mind going to my LBS or anyshop to buy something and paying a couple of quid more, as said above, most high street prices match online these days, sometimes I actually find bette deals in the local high street clothes stores then the deals online!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

90% of what I order is good, there is the 10% which is still sat around as return cost/PITA/not worth it
    Delivery to work only….
    these days I get better deals in store for most things so it’s not an issue, however I was chasing purple hope floating rotors and even the importer didn’t have them

GrahamS

I generally get stuff delivered to work, which normally avoids the whole “Sorry we missed you” nonsense as there is someone sat on reception from 8 till 5:30.

But occasionally Amazon decide to try a delivery at 7pm or on a Saturday morning. Even when I’ve opted for the “non-Prime, take your time” option 🙄

milky1980
    Free Member

Not that it’s much easier these days to shop physically, town centres are jam packed and for some reason our city centre has decided ‘shopping’ is a fun thing to do and not a chore and made a sort of shopping theme park.

I was in the St David’s 2 car park by 10.45 ready for Next to open at 11, there was already a long queue of cars to get in! I left at 11.15 and town was rammed already, it’s saddening to see people wasting their time, money and lives to ‘go shopping’. I’m definitely not a good shopper, even struggle to get the enthusiasm to go get new bike stuff sometimes!

My local Sainsbury’s sell is for £4 if that helps.

Mine’s less than 1/2 a mile away but they don’t stock it 🙁

Amazon Prime is usually very good, either to my door or to the local Locker but they’ve changed the drivers recently and it’s total pot luck on whether you get a good one or not. The previous one was brilliant, knowing who was going to be in during the day or not. He had a baby a few weeks ago so he’s doing the househusband thing now. Sadly work don’t allow deliveries to there.

BillOddie

I have friendly neighbours and apparently delivery drivers with common sense, so I generally buy most of my stuff online.

It doesn’t help that every time I head into town or to our out of town place I come back empty handed as places don’t have stock of anything I actually want.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was in the St David’s 2 car park by 10.45 ready for Next to open at 11, there was already a long queue of cars to get in! I left at 11.15 and town was rammed already, it’s saddening to see people wasting their time, money and lives to ‘go shopping’. I’m definitely not a good shopper, even struggle to get the enthusiasm to go get new bike stuff sometimes!

Crazy isn’t it – one thing I really don’t understand, people actually travel to Cardiff as a ‘shopping destination’, okay I could understand spending an afternoon walking around the Victorian Arcades by the Castle, stroll around the park and something nice to eat – but they’re heading to SD2 in their droves, they’re all exactly the same as every other shopping place in the UK.

Bonkers.

Anyway, my tip – park near the Museum / Park Place and walk in, it’s a 5 min walk and a lot less agro.

DezB
    Free Member

The only downside of online ordering is how easy it is. Hate to think how much more I’ve spent than if I had to got to a shop everytime I needed/wanted something!

kcal

I thank my lucky stars, given how prone my dad was to “you have been selected for special offer” letters, that he never got online before he died!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I can’t think of a time I’ve ever had a problem with a delivery. Usually get stuff delivered to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Online ordering. The downsides.’ is closed to new replies.