Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oneup V1 dropper not dropping under load
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

This issue is starting to annoy me now!

My oneup dropper won’t go down when I’m on the bike. When I’m off the bike it’s fine. You can push the lever and push the post down with no issues.

Get back on bike, push leaver. Nothing! If a wiggle around a bit it might suddenly go down but not every time.

Checked air, checked clamp tightness. Even installed a new inner cable.

Only thing I can thing of is that under load the suspension somehow compressed the cable as the cable is pretty damn tight as it runs internally round the BB and up past the pivot bolt.

Anyone had this issue? The v2 will the new Santa Cruz bottom bit probably fixes this issue but that’s more expense!

Poopscoop

I honestly think you’ve answered the question already mate.

It’s going to be one of the above, even if you think you’ve excluded the potential issue.

How have you checked clamp tightness? Have you backed it off a fair amount and then (gently) sitting on seat, it still doesn’t descend? If so fair enough.

Then go to the issue you mention. Compression perhaps impinging the cable. Only thing is, in my head,I can see that pulling the outer… So if anything the post would drop when when you don’t want it to rather than the reverse?

By V1 you mean it’s outer cable activated from memory? I don’t own that dropper you see mate.

fathomer

Sounds to me that compressing the frame is not allowing the outer cable to move. Can offer any advice on fixing it other than contacting OneUp, they’re usually pretty helpful.

kelvin

You need more cable outer slack in the seat tube. How or if you can achieve this with your frame design, I don’t know.

ocrider

What Kelvin said.
    The outer needs to be able to move about 1cm in order to actuate the dropper, so you need to pull through some of the outer to get a little more slack in the seat tube.
    Maybe the cable outer is too short if it’s being restricted by the sag the moment you sit on your bike.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Trek frame – has a kink in seat tube and the routing around the BB is so tight so that’s going to be the issue.

V2 with the additional Santa Cruz part will be better. Looks like it using the pull of the inner cable rather than movement of the outer cable?

fathomer

That’s exactly what the V2.1 actuator does, makes it work like all other posts on the market, though not sure it’s compatible with the V1 post.

Poopscoop

Yeah, v2 pulls the inner,I think there is a thread or 2 on it in here. Not sure why Oneup initially did it the other way, don’t think any other dropper pulls the outer?

jayx2a
    Free Member

Sadly the part is not compatible with v1!

rickon
    Free Member

Get in touch with OneUp. They refunded me for my post, even after it had been well used. Because it kept getting stuck with the stupid reverse design. Glad they’ve fixed it.

Poopscoop

^^ That’s a good result rickon,I’ve heard their cs is great.👍

jayx2a
    Free Member

Got the V2 post and actuator now – was a slight faff swapping them over as getting teh small hex screws through the holes was a tight fit! It says to do up the actuator to a certain tightness but I think it will stay put being hand tightned.

Will install this week and see how it feels and if all is well going up and down compared to the V1 which I will put up for sale soon – in full working order!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So pumped up post to 300psi which is the max on my pump and then re checked. It’s seems I’m losing about 70psi every time I take the pump off?!

I can hear air come out as I remove it but that’s seems a lot?

molgrips
    Free Member

Can I be the first to suggest you aren’t fat enough?

I can hear air come out as I remove it but that’s seems a lot?

When you pump up shocks and droppers and stuff, air goes into the shock but also into the pressure gauge and the little bit of tubing. When you undo it, this air escapes which is what you hear. When you then put it back on, some air from the shock flows back into the tube which is why the pressure reads lower.

If it’s a very small air chamber like in a shock, then the pressure difference is noticeable. Not sure how big the chambers are on that particular post mind.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just checked my V1 and it does exactly the same and near enough same pressure drop. My shock pump is a pretty cheap thing and does seem to let out a lot of air on release, but as you mentioned the chamber etc!

I’m defiantly fat enough! My fat ass seems to have made an indent in a new Specialized saddle lol

To be fair, I think it arrived dented!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So after realising how the V1 post works I think I’m just going to keep it and send the V2 back.

For some reason I thought the cable pull was from the lever all the way to the post and the entire length had to move but as mentioned above it’s only at the post end it moves.

My issue is I have been pulling too much slack through the really tight bit of the frame where as I should of left more slack at the post end!

I’m going to run a new cable through and leave a bit more length this time.

euans2
    Free Member

I use the V2.1 actuator on my V1, it works well with no issues and was a fairly straight forward swap

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thats interesting! OneUp have siad they are not compatible – way of making people buy the newer post maybe?

Guessing its same as fitting it to the new post? 2 small screws etc?

euans2
    Free Member

The reason they probably say that is because you’d need to take a couple of mm of the original retaining pins

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oneup V1 dropper not dropping under load’ is closed to new replies.