Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OneUp EDC tool
  • beamishblue

Does anyone use the EDC tool? How do you find it? It looks like a neat option for carrying tools but I have a couple of concerns. To mount in the steerer tube you need to tap some threads. Does this mean you are then committed to using the tool and can’t go back to a star dangled nut? Also, has anyone had the tool dismantle and rattle around in the steerer? I have heard this can happen.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve hardly used mine as I rarely need a tool out on a ride but it has functioned just fine on those rare occasions.  Yes you do have to cut a thread in your forks steerer tube and that will make fitting a SFN in future awkward but I think other types of bung would work.  I have no idea how it would be possible for the tool to dismantle and rattle around and I have not had it happen in many miles of riding.  In fact if it survived the rattling I got on some rocky trails last week I can say this is definitely not an issue

Pridds

Mines been great for a year including a week in the alps. I’ve got the steerer thread cutting tool that I can hire out if you do get one

BoardinBob

Been using one for a while now. Brilliant kit. No issues with it and I can’t see it coming apart and rattling in the steerer tube. It’s put together solidly

muggomagic

Same as above. Excellent bit of kit, no issues with rattling. I’d also say the amount of riders using them in the EWS shows how useful they are.

chrismac

I dont understand why you need to cut the thread, or for that matter need a star fangled nut. Yes I know you need to proload the headset bearings but once that is done and the stem bolted on then the stem holds everything in place and the star fangled nut / other method become pointless.

euans2
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from the UK to Tasmanian, to Sydney, back to Tasmania and back to the uk, each time I’ve had to rebuild the bike, the tool has managed it on each occasion, In fact it’s the only tool I’ve carried with me and I can’t say I’ve needed more!

as for the question “can you use a star nut again” yes you can, I sold a set of forks where I had the edc fitted, I wanted to make it easier for the buyer so I fitted a star nut (I told them about the tapped threads for the edc) With no issues at all

BoardinBob

other method become pointless.

What happens if your headset loosens mid ride. How would you retighten it without something to preload the bearings. SFN is the easy solution with the EDC top cap doing the same thing.

singlespeedstu

Great tool but just be aware that if you have a fox fork they can refuse you ANY warranty work on your fork.

Apart from that mine’s been brilliant.

nealglover
    Free Member

I dont understand why you need to cut the thread, or for that matter need a star fangled nut. Yes I know you need to proload the headset bearings but once that is done and the stem bolted on then the stem holds everything in place and the star fangled nut / other method become pointless.

you have an off and the stem gets moved and you need to loosen it to reset everything.  With no star nut (or threaded replacement) to preload the headset, you are going to struggle a bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OneUp EDC tool’ is closed to new replies.