Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Onereallynicespeed (AKA Barry Ford) – Anyone know him?
  • Daffy

I bought a set of Niner Carbon Bars from him on the Classifieds back in April with the intention of meeting up to collect. Conflicting schedules meant that it didn’t work out and he agreed to post them at the start of May….

I’ve now heard nothing from him in over 5 weeks and he’s not responding to email…

Anyone know him?

Cheers,

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sorry don’t know him but prepare to criticised for having the audacity to make your concerns public.

Daffy

Bump for those back at desks…

Cougar

Well,

I don’t know him, but it would seem that he’s been buying and selling on here for a couple of years, so I’d guess that it’s more likely to be a mistake than a scam.

Looking at his posting history, he’s not posted anything on STW for a few weeks now either, which is unusual. Hopefully that’s not too ominous, maybe he’s on holiday or something.

Daffy

I hope so, but it’s been 3 weeks since anything new has been listed and 5 since I’ve had any contact…

On the face of things, it’s not looking good.

totalshell

would anyone emigrate on the price of a pair of handlebars.. hell be along shortly..

although idont know him nor have ever heard of him nor looked him up.. how bad can a bloke be that lurks here..

Tom-B
    Free Member

This thread has the makings of watsontony mk2!

He may well be along shortly…five weeks is pretty shoddy though!

d45yth
    Free Member

Do you know where he’s from? If so, see if he’s on Facebook. I had bother with someone off Pinkbike sending me a camera lens…they soon sent it when I posted something on their page! You’d be able to see if there was any recent activity too.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I know him ..I’ll email him and tell him ………he’s genuine …he’s having a bit of a time work wise at the moment ( the rugs been pulled out from underneath him ) so to speak ……..

Daffy

Cheers fella, I’d appreciate it.

Daffy

Well, It’s been almost 3 weeks since this was posted, and after Singlecrack’s intervention I received and e-mail from Barry to tell me the bars would be in the post the next day. That was on the 18th of June. It’s now the 8th of July, no sign of any bars and Barry once again isn’t responding to e-mails. He does however have time to buy things on the classifieds.

Titec Bars

Fixie

Pedals

I’m not normally the type to do this, but this is ridiculous, it’s been almost 3 months!

Barry – if you’re reading this thread (since you’re not responding to any of my last 4 e-mails) this is your last chance. I have a whole lot of personal information about you which will shortly be going to the [EDIT] Avon and Somerset Constabulary – Report a Crime…. [/EDIT]

wwaswas

doesn’t sound unreasonable.

The bloke’s had lots of chances to redeem himself 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

We seem to be at Def Con 1 😯

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Wooah there! I’ve met him a couple of times. Seems like a sound fella. If a little ‘relaxed’. I’ll give him another nudge for you.

And it’s “Avon & Somerset Constabulary” 😉

wwaswas

Seems like a sound fella.

there’s been a few on here who’ve been that and proven to be anything but…

camo16
    Free Member

doesn’t sound unreasonable.

+1 – three months is plenty of time to get this sorted the proper way.

there’s been a few on here who’ve been that and proven to be anything but…

Whatever happened to watsontony, BTW? How did that saga end?

Daffy

Thurman Merman – Member
    Wooah there! I’ve met him a couple of times. Seems like a sound fella. If a little ‘relaxed’. I’ll give him another nudge for you.

And it’s “Avon & Somerset Constabulary”

Maybe, But I think I’ve gone out of my way in given him the benefit of the doubt, no?

Edited – Cheers.

peterfile
    Free Member

As frustrating as this situation must be, it’s worth remembering that if you want good, efficient service and someone to complain to if you don’t get it, buy new from a bike shop.

If you’re looking to save money by buying used, remember that you’re completely at risk of buying from someone who has a different view on what’s acceptable practice when buying/selling.

Buying from the classifieds is a risk, one which can be mitigated to some extent, but a risk nonetheless, one you take to save cash. Keep some perspective when things don’t go smoothly.

More than one person here has vouched for the character of the seller, he doesn’t appear to be a scammer, so be wary of police involvement, you could cause a disproportionate level of harm over a set of handlebars

Honestly, I’m not sure what i would do in your shoes, but I do know it wouldn’t be calling the police to report a crime

Could you imagine the police paying you and your family a visit over a set of handlebars you sold on STW?

Daffy

Mods – If you feel this is too severe, please delete it and e-mail me. I’ve purposefully not placed any personal details on here beyond his name which is already in his profile and would ask that others do the same.

If you want to reveal anything, please keep it offline and send it to me. I don’t want a witch hunt, just my sodding bars….I’ve got a bike here which has been waiting for them since April FFS!

Daffy

peterfile – Member
    As frustrating as this situation must be, it’s worth remembering that if you want good, efficient service and someone to complain to if you don’t get it, buy new from a bike shop.

If you’re looking to save money by buying used, remember that you’re completely at risk of buying from someone who has a different view on what’s acceptable practice when buying/selling.

Buying from the classifieds is a risk, one which can be mitigated to some extent, but a risk nonetheless, one you take to save cash. Keep some perspective when things don’t go smoothly.

More than one person here has vouched for the character of the seller, he doesn’t appear to be a scammer, so be wary of police involvement, you could cause a disproportionate level of harm over a set of handlebars

Honestly, I’m not sure what is do in our shoes, but I do know it wouldn’t be calling the police to report a crime

…and so what would you suggest?

I’m not exactly a novice at this, He’s a premier user with almost 3 years on here, and I have his ebay user ID. I received photos of the actual item and we were going to meet up rather than post, but that was months ago…

As for the perils of buying SH, how far would you go in applying that rule? Parts? Bikes? Cars? Houses? Must everything be brand new to avoid the problems caused by a few dishonest people?

wwaswas

Could you imagine the police paying you and your family a visit over a set of handlebars you sold on STW?

It’s only a ‘sale’ if goods actually change hands though.

Otherwise it’s just ‘theft’?

re: watson Tony – I think there was a promise to sort things out, a tale of woe and not much subsequent activity?

peterfile
    Free Member

…and so what would you suggest?

I’m not exactly a novice at this, He’s a premier user with almost 3 years on here, and I have his ebay user ID. I received photos of the actual item and we were going to meet up rather than post, but that was months ago…

As for the perils of buying SH, how far would you go in applying that rule? Parts? Bikes? Cars? Houses? Must everything be brand new to avoid the problems caused by a few dishonest people?

As I said, I’m not sure what I’d do. I know that I’d perhaps think differently if I was in your shoes, but I’d like to think I’d stop short at calling the police.

Perhaps use his mobile number on a load of gumtree ads selling xboxes for £40? 🙂

The whole situation sucks, and it’s not acceptable, but I just don’t know if I could label him a criminal and live with knowing he may be prosecuted over it(regardless of what the law says).

I’m not saying your wrong btw, I empathise with your predicament, I’m just offering an alternative view.

Daffy

peterfile – Member

As I said, I’m not sure what I’d do. I know that I’d perhaps think differently if I was in your shoes, but I’d like to think I’d stop short at calling the police.

Perhaps use his mobile number on a load of gumtree ads selling xboxes for £40?

The whole situation sucks, and it’s not acceptable, but I just don’t know if I could label him a criminal (regardless of what the law says).

There is no moral ambiguity here. None at all. Money has been paid, goods have not been sent, that’s THEFT. The fact the Barry has the bare face temerity to still be buying things on here and on eBay tells me that his personal circumstances aren’t as debilitating as I’d been led to believe.

I’ve given the man a whole lot of laxity and a hell of a lot of chances to do something about it. To not even respond to an e-mail when he has the time to post/browse on here is just outrageous.

As for involving the police and having them turn up at your family home. Perhaps some people need to remember that actions have consequences that often go beyond the immediate.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think I agree really. If people who scam on here had a reason to believe the police would be asking after them (or a small claims court summons), perhaps they’d be less likely to do it

Junkyard
    Free Member

re: watson Tony – I think there was a promise to sort things out, a tale of woe and not much subsequent activity?

He paid – by he I mean his gran send PO to the value of the bars

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve given the man a whole lot of laxity and a hell of a lot of chances to do something about it. To not even respond to an e-mail when he has the time to post/browse on here is just outrageous.

Agreed, you have certainly been patient, probably more patient than most.

Can’t you contact paypal and raise a claim with them?

Daffy

peterfile – Member

Agreed, you have certainly been patient, probably more patient than most.

Can’t you contact paypal and raise a claim with them?

Sadly, I think in this case, my patient nature will cost me. It’s outside the claim window…otherwise I’d have already done it.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sadly, I think in this case, my patient nature will cost me. It’s outside the claim window…otherwise I’d have already done it.

It’s a crap situation. You mitigate the risk of buying from a stranger over the internet by using paypal and then end up relinquishing your right to your money back by giving the seller the benefit of the doubt 😕

What about the card linked to your paypal account? If it’s VISA debit then perhaps you’re offered some protection? May be the case that the transaction, as far as VISA is concerned, is with paypal rather than the seller though.

EDIT – Hmmmm, just found this on money.co.uk, which is as suspected:

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to be protected under debit card Chargeback schemes for items purchased using PayPal. In these cases the act of loading money onto your PayPal account counts as the debit card transaction, so unless the money fails to be credited it won’t be covered.

Read more: http://www.money.co.uk/article/1004510-is-debit-card-protection-the-same-as-for-credit-cards.htm#ixzz2YSSDTKK6

Tom-B
    Free Member

Can’t believe people are still defending this type of person! That he is still buying things on here really takes the piss! I can’t see how his personal circumstances can enable him to buy from the classifieds but not post some bars.

What chance he’s already sold them to someone else and hasn’t got enough cash he’s willing to spare to refund?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Onereallynicespeed (AKA Barry Ford) – Anyone know him?’ is closed to new replies.