Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • OnePlus Owners Opinions
  • 1timmy1
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting the OnePlus 5T; but I had a OnePlus X in the past and ended up selling it due to the software not being that polished and a bit buggy. Now this was a couple of years ago, has the software improved?

I’m not bothered about being on the latest version, I just want a phone that works as it should and is solid (unlike my current phone).

beej

I’ve got a 3T, bought it when they came out. Been excellent overall, a couple of bugs in first release (wifi hotspot timed out after 5 mins) but been fixed since.

Excellent battery life, great value.

transporter13
    Free Member

One plus 3 owner here

Excellent phone
    Faultless
    No lagging ever
    Good battery life

Even now near the end of my contract, I find it nigh on impossible to justify upgrading.

pdw
    Free Member

OP3 here. Excellent phone, but a few niggles.

All the physical buttons are very “light”. This makes it very hard to handle the phone or pass it to someone else without accidentally pressing a button (the check-in guy at Eurostar rebooted my phone whilst trying to scan the boarding pass code last week)

It’s great that the screen goes pretty much all the way to the edges of the phone, but silly that the touch screen does the same, making it very hard to use the phone one handed.

At the end of last year they did an OS upgrade that changed how vibrate mode works, removing a feature that I (and evidently many others) find essential. Despite endless forum support topics and even a petition, OP are refusing to make the trivial change required to restore the old functionality.

Their attitude on the last point would make me think twice about buying another.

Flaperon

Had a OnePlus 3 and 3T. Nice phone, slippery as hell, OK camera. Software seemed reliable but my dad has it now and reports that it’s exceptionally buggy.

I’d avoid OnePlus completely after I factory reset one that was apparently encrypted. The new owner got in touch to report that a number of my photos and text messages were still on the phone after he’d completed the setup process.

So my opinion is that there are some fairly serious flaws in their implementation of Android. Now use an S8 (which you can get for about the same price as the 5T) and am confident my stuff is safe. Better camera and water resistant to boot.

WillH

My wife has a 3T, it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin.

As a aside, I can confirm that if you drop it onto a concrete floor less than a week are you get it, without a case, the screen is likely to smash. A replacement screen isn’t cheap but it’s quite easy to replace yourself…

colournoise

Still on a Oneplus 2 here. Have not yet felt the need to upgrade… Which says pretty much everything about what I think of the phone.

sharkbait
    Free Member

One plus 3 owner here

Excellent phone
    Faultless
    No lagging ever
    Good battery life

Even now near the end of my contract, I find it nigh on impossible to justify upgrading.

^ This exactly. the only thing that would make me change would be if they released a really really good camera.

slippery as hell

I can see that but I bought mine used and it came with a OnePlus Karbon case on it and it’s very good indeed.

Riofer
    Free Member

Got a 3 and a 3T in our household. I would definitely buy again when I feel the need to upgrade. Fast, great battery life, good interpretation of android without loads of pointless apps or complicated interface. Stuck mine in an Otterbox from day one as I can be a bit clumsy phone has been dropped and knocked loads with no problems.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Had the one plus one which was good for nearly 3 years but then got a bit slow as software progressed, now have the 5. Can’t really fault the 5, also dual sim card ability is great if you have a work phone and a personal phone or want pay as you go for calls etc and a data sim for t’Internet.

somouk
    Free Member

I used to have a one plus one and if it wasn’t for the size I would have kept it, excellent phone but I prefer the smaller form factor.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Such a shame they’re not waterproof. Think the s7 on Amazon for <£400 is a no-brainer

nickc

I’ve a 3T and both my kids have either 3Ts or a 5, all three are relentlessly fault free.

Excellent phone
    Faultless
    No lagging ever
    Good battery life

all these things in spades. none of ours have been buggy at all. take great photos, can’t see me being tempted away any time soon.

Bregante

My oneplus 2 is still going strong here. The battery is still outperforming any previous smartphone I’ve had – particularly Samsung’s which always seem to perform poorly for me after a year or so. The only reason why I’d look to upgrade would be if the camera was significantly better – not that it’s poor but it’s not up to the standard of my wife’s iPhone 7 for example.

cp

Me and the other half each have a 3. They are great, highly recommend to anyone. The 3 still holds its own really well. They’re really well built – other half has dropped her’s so many times and it all still works perfectly – often stuff like earpiece speaker suffers when dropped but these are very good.

I find the software well supported with updates and very little in the way of issues. It’s almost stock android as an interface – one plus tweaks are pretty much tweakability.

bob_summers

OP3 was the first time I didn’t bother rooting and flashing a custom rom, the stock android is very good. OP5 now, the only thing that bugs me is it seems to struggle with my WiFi at home. Not enough to try and fix it though, the 4g is faster anyway.

Agree with pdw too, the buttons are a bit on the light side.

nuke

Still on a Oneplus 2 One here. Have not yet felt the need to upgrade… Which says pretty much everything about what I think of the phone.

…for me. Bought over 2 years ago for the sum of £219

Son has a 3 & my wife has a 3T…we’re all big fans. If 5T was water/splashproof id probably be hankering for it but its not so I’ll wait for the next model & see if that is

chipster

I’m still on a Oneplus 2. It’s been trouble free so far (nearly 2 years).
    I’m not sure they’re as good value now as they were, though.

cheers_drive

OP3 there, it’s very good. I’ve had no issues with software although others have.
    The only thing that annoys me is that it’s very easy to switch off and the off button is where I want the volume control to be.
    I but SIM free (I have a good 3 contract that they since discontinued) which make One Plusii a good choice.

ta11pau1

3T 128gb owner here, could not be happier.

Dash charge is amazing, performance is perfect, battery lasts a full day unless I’m seriously spanking it. Oh and the alert slider is great, couldn’t do without it now.

Regular updates, the fingerprint scanner is mega quick, camera is decent… There’s literally nothing bad about it, apart from it being a bit slippery without a case.

If I was looking to upgrade I’d get the 5T in a heartbeat. Can’t justify the £250 cost to go from the 3T to the 5T though when mine is working flawlessly.

johnnystorm

5T is £450 and doesn’t have Android Oreo, only a 1080p screen and no water resistance?

As above S7/Edge from Amazon and save yourself 50 quid. Dash charge is fine but the Samsung uses the more common quickcharge which isn’t as fast but still good and easier to get extra chargers.

Russell96

Another satisfied 3T owner here, regular OS updates have been a big plus for me, no crapware, solid phone with no lag, as previously said the fingerprint scanner works really quickly, to the point where I’m bloody annoyed with my S7 Edge I have for for work.

Dash charge is nice but you can still use the USB-C cable on a normal charger if needed so no probs there and less bloody fiddly plugging the cable in on the phone as its a more robust connector.

Oreo has been out on Beta for a number of months on the 3 and the 5 so it’ll arrive pretty soon with their track record to date on delivering updates being miles ahead of anyone else.

Yes its slippy without a case, but that comment can be pointed at so many devices more so the glass backed ones.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Thanks everyone so far for your opinions, I didn’t expect so many posts. I am a pure Android fan, having 4 Nexus phones in the past, so the mostly stock Oxygen OS really appeals to me. Sounds like the OS is better than when I had the OPX (and they probably focused more on the OP2 back then as that was their flagship). The alert slider was something I missed when I sold the OPX, so I am really leaning towards getting the 5T. If the 3T was on offer I would be tempted by that, but it looks like O2 are still selling it at £400.

matt_outandabout

Look at Nokia8 for pure Android as well.

ta11pau1

Vanilla android was one of the reasons I went with the 3T too, the extras they’ve added like the gestures are all good additions.

I paid £439 for my 128gb 3T just after they launched so I’m happy there been no stupid price hikes for the 5T (cough.. pixel… £900 for a 128gb version 🙄 )

jamj1974

Nice security flaw at the mo. Wait until it is fixed.

Alphabet

Another very happy OP3 owner here. No issues at all. No plans to upgrade but if I broke it then I’d def buy a 5T.

Russell96

Oreo has just landed on my 3T can’t fault them on all of their updates.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I had a OnePlus5 for the last couple of months.
    After 3 different Samsung’s and I Phones with work I think it’s the best phone and phone camera that there is out there.
    Amazingly fast charging, long battery life and the camera is amazing

Edited in Snapseed

I’ve gone for sim only as my Samsung contract was up at just £12 a month (after buying the camera for £500), it’s still half the price of the latest “main stream” phones on a 3 contract.
    Get the otter box case cover for it, it’s already saved mine after a drop.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oreo arrived on my 3 also.

toby1

Just getting into my 5T, moved from a one plus 2 on which the battery wasn’t lasting that we’ll. I am a heavy use these days though.

Not had much in the way of OS bugs for a while really, apps aren’t always flawless but over very happy with them as small computers. I don’t actually phone people really!

Potdog
    Free Member

Had a OP3 until I lost it a couple of weeks ago. Now back on my old Nexus 5. Can’t bear how slow the Nexus is compared to the OP3. Will be buying the new 5T after the end of the month.

ta11pau1

Three have a black friday deal on for their SIM only deals if anyone needs a new SIM plan – 100GB data a month (+ the usual unlimited calls/texts) for £20, 12 month contract.

stoofus
    Free Member

I had a oneplus 2. Got rid of it when they abandonned software updates after a year.

Seems that they did the same with the 3T.

3Y end of support

And have announced they won’t support the Project Treble updates

Project Treble

Updates, especially security ones and quite important to me. Look at Apple, my wife’s 5S is still getting OS updates. In my eyes one plus are happy to flog you a cheap phone but the after sales care is horse crap. And now they’re not cheap.

Get a simfree Samsung S7 edge instead.

transporter13
    Free Member

Oreo installed onto my 3 last night..cant fault oneplus for updates.

cp

Just done the Oreo update. Seems even smoother faster and slicker than before! Quite happy if my 3 stays on this.

davidr

I got Oreo last night too on my 3T. TBH if I don’t get any further OS updates I probably won’t notice. I don’t see OnePlus being much different to many other manufacturers in this sense. In any case I love how fast the phone is, I used my Nexus 5X for a bit and it was glacial in comparison!

1timmy1
    Free Member

I did in the end go for the 5T and I’ve been impressed. Super fast, camera is fine for a smartphone, battery life is soooooo good compared to my Nexus. Encountered one software bug where the smartlock setting doesn’t enable after a reboot but apart from that no other issues. The little tweaks they have made to the OS are great, like hold the finger print scanner to take a pic. The size is better in my hand too. So far I think I’ve made the right choice, and I got a free upgrade to my SIM only plan on black Friday.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘OnePlus Owners Opinions’ is closed to new replies.