• This topic has 96 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by thols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • One-use words
  • 40mpg

I’ve become aware recently of a bunch of fairly obscure words which are only ever used in one particular circumstance – usually in a phrase – but would never be used in general conversation. At least not without sounding rather odd.

A few examples:
    Bandwagons are only for jumping on.
    Champing can only be done on a bit.
    I have no idea where my petard is, I’d certainly rather avoid getting hoisted by it.
    You’ll only alight from public transport.

Any other good examples? And is there a name for these types of words? A quick Google didn’t throw up anything.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And is there a name for these types of words?

Archaic.

reeksy

In most of those cases they’re archaic words that are only still used with those phrases. Petard was an explosive, we don’t have any type of wagon anymore, etc

zilog6128

Interesting question! I don’t think “archaic” is right in this particular context, that would be more like using an outdated word in a normal sentence (for comic or whatever effect)

In most of those cases they’re archaic words that are only still used with those phrases.

that is literally what the OP says 😃

“fossil word”? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_word

whatgoesup

@40mpg – be careful to ensure there are no mistakes in your list, otherwise other forum members will set you alight.

andrewh
    Free Member

Parouge.
    No, I can’t spell it, but Boris did it (badly)

desperatebicycle

It’s not just old/archaic words – eg. derailleur only has one use.

reeksy

that is literally what the OP says 😃

No. It literally isn’t.

They’re archaic because they’re no longer in common usage. The exception is only in these phrases.

They’re “archaic words fossilised in idioms”

Tada!
    https://theweek.com/articles/463188/12-old-words-that-survived-by-getting-fossilized-idioms?amp

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

eg. derailleur only has one use

Does it? Mine shifts up AND down.

But yes, most nouns only have one use. An elephant is an elephant.

joshvegas
    Free Member

we don’t have any type of wagon anymore, etc

bollocks

Golds, polos, lupos, UP! Tauregs

Jammie and original

MrSparkle

A petard was a small bomb specifically for blowing up gates. And the quote from Hamlet is ‘Hoist with his own petard’ not ‘Hoisted’. Hth.

Murray

And petard is from the Middle French for fart!

desperatebicycle

But yes, most nouns only have one use. An elephant is an elephant.

No they don’t, trying to be smart and looking stupid there.
    Elephant herd wandering across the plains.
    Let’s address the elephant in the room..

zilog6128

They’re “archaic words fossilised in idioms”

Excellent, you got there in the end 😉

slowoldman

Archaic? I’m pretty sure there are still plenty of bandwagons being jumped on and bits being champed on.

lister

Girth.
    People try to use it for other reasons but you and I both know what you first associated it with!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

No they don’t, trying to be smart and looking stupid there.

Sorry, you’re correct in the context of the op, elephant doesn’t fit, but nor does derailleur in any way.

The only way “derailleur only has one use” is if you mean it’s only used to refer to a derailleur, and on that basis “elephant” is only ever used to refer to a large land mammal with a trunk. Eg a [large land mammals with trunks] herd wandering across the plain.
    This is true of most nouns.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I can’t agree on alight.
    Birds alight on telphone wires, butterflies on leaves people alight off horses, tanks, buses, planes, boats, ladders, steps, may be public or private, it just means to step down or land. See it regular like.

alight
    intransitive verb
    To spring down, get down, or descend, as from on horseback or from a carriage; to dismount.
    To descend and settle, lodge, rest, or stop

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Girth.
    People try to use it for other reasons but you and I both know what you first associated it with!

A big waist?

johndoh
    Free Member

As the late, great Billy Connoly once said…
    &*%$ off

(yes I know I can’t count but you can &*%$ off)

CheesybeanZ

I’ll offer up ” Apricity”

thols2

Chickenshit poltroon.

thepurist

Girth.

The circumference of a tree trunk 1m above ground level?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

These humicubations, the nocturnal irrorations, and the dankishness of the atmosphere, generated by a want of apricity, were extremely febrifacient.”

@CheesybeanZ

I think your source material for dead words has several contenders. Apricity is a dead word though isn’t it, eg not in use at all (outside of a vegan restaurant in that there London)?

CheesybeanZ

I thought it meant the warmth of the sun on a winters day , I could well be wrong.

finbar
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_word

That wikipedia article on fossil words seems to have a fundamental flaw in the first sentence:

“A fossil word is a word that is broadly obsolete but remains in current use due to its presence within an idiom, word sense, or phrase.[1][2] An example for a word sense is ‘navy’ in ‘merchant navy’, which means ‘commercial fleet’ (although that sense of navy is obsolete elsewhere). “

‘Navy’ gets used all the time.

zilog6128

‘Navy’ gets used all the time.

yes, but, as it says – the modern use of “navy” is to refer to the branch of the armed forces, not to literally describe a collection of ships as “a navy” (which is the archaic use)

finbar
    Free Member

I understand ‘merchant navy’ to specifically describe using commercial ships for military/state purposes in times of conflict – i.e. an expansion of the existing navy. So theoretically still possible and not archaic.

shermer75
    Free Member

Foist

shermer75
    Free Member

Craw

shermer75
    Free Member

Foible

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I thought it meant the warmth of the sun on a winters day , I could well be wrong.

It does, though I’m not sure anyone uses it except as a crossword clue maybe, or Boris, he probably uses it in day to day conversation. It’s a bit like pinguid, it’s a real word but it’s (I think) never used in any way, not in an idiom nor in general usage. It’s essentially dead and only really used to confuse people. Like Latin or Welsh 😉

Craw

As in sticks in/gets under my craw.

Yep, that’s a fosil.

zilog6128

I understand ‘merchant navy’ to specifically describe using commercial ships for military/state purposes in times of conflict

no, I don’t think it’s ever meant that. It’s just a collective noun for “All of the trading and commercial ships registered in a country (usually excluding fishing vessels), as opposed to those involved in military activity.” (that is the OED definition, by the way, not just something I’ve made up or randomly googled!!)

I know what you’re referring to – like at Dunkirk – but I don’t know that there’s a particular special word/phrase to describe it (at least, I’m not aware of one). (Although, according to Wiki, the title “merchant navy” was originally bestowed on the ships after their actions during WW1)

finbar
    Free Member

It’s just a collective noun for “All of the trading and commercial ships registered in a country (usually excluding fishing vessels), as opposed to those involved in military activity.” (that is the OED definition, by the way, not just something I’ve made up or randomly googled!!)

Well, you learn something every day 🙂 !

timber

Tree girth is normally measured at 1.45m to give a dbh using a girthing tape that can be cross referenced with the forest mensuration book.

Debark a contender for singular use? Removing bark before processing.

molgrips
    Free Member

The second instance refers very specifically to an elephant. It’s from a play in which the characters are constantly avoiding an issue which is represented by an elephant in the middle of the set that they have to squeeze around all the time to act but noone ever says ‘why the hell is this elephant here? Can’t we get rid of it?’

So the second usage is a metaphor but the word elephant clearly is used in its original meaning all the time unlike the fossil words which are the subject of this thread.

avdave2

I can think of a few you’d only get to use once in certain situations 🙂

frankconway

andrewh – Parouge? Are you thinking of Prorogue?

nickc

Kith, as in kith and kin.

Loggerheads. To be at…

Dint. By…of

nickc

Double post

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.