Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 353 total)
  • One seriously good bit of news to cheer us all up…
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s their main argument. There may be others but they’re still looking into those.

midlifecrashes

So are we saying Novac is out of the Australian Open after only missing three shots?

nedrapier

Arf. Very good!

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

It’s a shame the BBC don’t also run a “Sports Ar*ewhole of the year” award

csb

For the government to hang their hat on fact he’s a ‘bad influence’ seems quite bizarre tbh.

They’re not. His defence want you to think the Govt case is as spurious as that becasue they know the other stuff (lying on a form etc.) is so damning.

I reckon he’ll do a flit overnight.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d like to think spouting antivaxx bollocks was sufficient to bar entry, to be honest.

piemonster

It’s a shame the BBC don’t also run a “Sports Ar*ewhole of the year” award

I reckon he’s an early contender for The Last Legs ‘Dick of the year’ award

dantsw13

Compared to Boris & Andrew??

inkster
    Free Member

I knew this was going to run and run from the get-go. The Aussies love being the centre of a global news cycle.

I seem to remember they kidnapped Frank Sinatra for a few days back in the 70’s.

Murray

Hawke said he accepted Djokovic’s recent Covid-19 infection meant he was a “negligible risk to those around him”, but that he was “perceived by some as a talisman of a community of anti-vaccine sentiment”.
    “I consider that Mr Djokovic’s ongoing presence in Australia may lead to an increase in anti-vaccination sentiment generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest of the kind previously experienced in Australia with rallies and protests which may themselves be a source of community transmission.
    “Mr Djokovic is … a person of influence and status.
    “Having regard to … Mr Djokovic’s conduct after receiving a positive Covid-19 result, his publicly stated views, as well as his unvaccinated status, I consider that his ongoing presence in Australia may encourage other people to disregard or act inconsistently with public health advice and policies in Australia.”

piemonster

Compared to Boris & Andrew??

They’re all in the mix, and Boris already has a trophy

Edit, Boris has 2 trophies

midlifecrashes

They have dragged this out for days now. Aside from the legal challenges, the lack of sleep and practice must really be reducing his chances if he does get to play. I can’t think they could have done anything else to make it worse.

But if you can, send any ideas to:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-and-support/contact-us

reeksy

😂😂😂

metalheart
    Free Member

They have dragged this out for days now.

Hardly, they don’t have a tight schedule. Had novac decided to comply with the Australian entry requirements (ie was vaccinated) none of this would be happening (the rest of his entourage is in). Apparently there are people in the hotel waiting for 8 or 9 years…

Unfortunately for him it’s turned into something bigger than an self entitled ‘superstar’ getting the run around into something that the Australian government can’t really back down from without the potential to impact on their anti-covid strategy. I read yesterday that it’s sort of the equivalent of their Castle Barnard eye test moment. You need to be seen to be applying the requirements across the board to keep the majority on board with the restrictions.

Personally I would be going that he hasn’t met the stringent entry requirements and the discrepancies in his application (and the report of his breaking of covid isolation requirements in other countries) during the global pandemic means that, regrettably, they can’t grant him a visa at this time. And they’ll consider any future application more favourably should he be able to provide suitable evidence of vaccination.

Also an excellent example to all that your decisions have consequences and that you really need think things through…

masterdabber
    Free Member

I’m surprised to see the way the Aussie government seem to be leading their case unless there is a lot more they plan to include. At the moment the case seems very subjective and gives scope for the judge to rule in line with his own views…. not hard facts. I can still see him getting the green light to stay and play.   Hope I’m wrong.

dissonance

I can still see him getting the green light to stay and play. Hope I’m wrong.

Doesnt the minister have the final say without needing to give any reason if they so desire?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

But if you can, send any ideas to:

😂

theotherjonv

appeal reportedly rejected. Australia returns Serb

(although may be a second appeal or something, counsels are discussing in camera)

nickjb
    Free Member

BBC

BREAKING
    Djokovic loses appeal
    Novak Djokovic is set to be deported from Australia, after losing his appeal against his visa cancellation.

Three judges have unanimously dismissed his appeal. They say they will give their reasoning later.

reeksy

Game
    Set
    And match

swavis

Glad! Hopefully it jus proves money won’t let you weasel out of every situation.

reluctantjumper

That is good news. Would have been a diaster for Aus border controls and their vaccine rollout if he had been allowed to play.

woody2000

They say they will give their reasoning later.

Yeah, nah, mate.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

My interpretation of the very brief summary I saw on the Beeb is, “it’s within the ministers power and remit to boot you out, the reasoning the minister gave is entirely subjective but given its a discretionary power completely valid. You failed to prove the minister didn’t think that you were a risk so you have to go” had they gone for the other travel etc there’s a chance he could have weaseled out by proving someone else did the paperwork etc.

It’s “I didn’t believe I was at a party” only it’s being used to enforce the law rather than evade it.

csb

Hard to have any sympathy for Djokovic failing to play the system. If any good has come from this it’s the exposure of Australia’s harsh immigration system. They’ve not come across as a fair and welcoming place have they!

batfink
    Free Member

They’ve not come across as a fair and welcoming place have they!

Happy not to welcome anti-tax bellends.

There is lots not to like about Australia’s immigration laws – but nobody here is particularly upset about this

Poopscoop

Great news.

Big prick afraid of a small prick.😁

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

They’ve not come across as a fair and welcoming place have they!

Because they’ve given two court hearings to someone who falsified their entry documents, didn’t meet the requirements for entry, admitted they broke the law in their own country (and it would also have contravened aus law) shortly before arriving and claims the photos of them at public events which would also have been breaking the same law are falsified both of which would bar them from entry before they’ve told him to go home?

Or do you mean because he’s had a fair hearing in remarkable time because he’s famous and wealthy when others wait for years for their day in court?

Or because of things like this? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_immigration_detention_facilities

imnotverygood

I’d laugh if Salvatore Caruso won the Open.

MoreCashThanDash

If any good has come from this it’s the exposure of Australia’s harsh immigration system. They’ve not come across as a fair and welcoming place have they!

I never thought they were.

But they’ve given someone who has brazenly lied and raised facts for his own purposes two legal hearings and then demonstrated that actions have consequences and stood up to him. I actually quite admire it.

They’ve simply found a way to enforce Rule#1. More places should do it .

csb

@dangeourbrain

Or because of things like this? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_immigration_detention_facilities

This case is totally irrelevant to normal practice. A lot more people in the world now know about the case of others less wealthy.

convert

The right outcome and the only one the Aussie government was going to be able to have without a fundamental breakdown of their system.

As other above, ‘the system’ seems to have been more than fair to him. With enough money and clought he has been able to have two court hearings and seemly could have appealed again.

The biggest issue for me is how it came to this. If they intended the rules to be vaccinated overseas applicants only how did they manage to leave a loophole open that allowed him to get an exemption in the first place. It should have been so drum tight that 6 weeks ago he’d have met with his team in Serbia and realised there was no point in even trying. It would have been a complete non story beyond a side note to the open saying the defending champion not being here because he elected not to have a vaccine and all the commentators suggesting he was a plonker.

It must also be noted that the vast majority are typing contributes to this thread from a nation which does not have the balls to put in place similar measures. We have enough dafties of our own and I would have not issue with restrictions in place to reduce the ability us adding to that number. But the current mob see that as economically not prudent. Compared to the money spunked on dodgy PPE deals to mates, a few anti vaxxers not able to come to the UK to stare at Buck Palace feels like a non issue.

sharkbait
    Free Member

a nation which does not have the balls to put in place similar measures

Australia, along with a few other countries, took the stance of trying to simply keep covid out.
    The UK and majority of the world realised {probably correctly} that was not possible so they haven’t needed to take the same border control steps.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

The UK and majority of the world realised took a punt on very little {probably correctly} that was not possible

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think it was fairly obvious after a short while that it couldn’t be kept out forever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Indeed but let’s not pretend that how we got to this situation with our gov is little more than high stakes poker.(not taking into account the hindsight that we have that the gov didn’t have back when they made their decisions)

Aus can essentially decide and control when it lets rip.

I know which seems the more measured approach.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@csb I think you misunderstood me, my point is that ND’s case, if anything, points to a fairer more welcoming system than anyone who has read the news in ten years would think it is.

I mean, Priti Patel’s policies come across as less harsh, more welcoming and fairer then Australian immigration policy.

tjagain

Sharkbait – not clamping down on travel in and out of the UK caused many many thousands of deaths that were unnecessary

Uk government decision were too little too late which is why we have had such an awful death rate and also why we have had to endure harsh measures for so long – because of refusal to do anything quickly enough led to huge spikes in infections

compare our death rate to Aus

Also Patel is utterly evil – trying to criminalise rescuing drowning people.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I know which seems the more measured approach.

And the easier one when you effectively have only one method of entry into the country.

because of refusal to do anything quickly enough led to huge spikes in infections

compare our death rate to Aus

Comparing the UK with an “island” in a different hemisphere with very different weather, demographics and population densities is very difficult.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 353 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.