Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • one reason cyclists are hated!
  • carloz
    Free Member

I always pick up tubes when I (extremely infrequently) see them discarded on the side of trails, but I draw the line at banana skins.

Houns

Ridiculous, so one lot of litter is fine but another isn’t? Litter is litter no matter what the cause is. But obviously we can’t discuss this

It’s nearly the anniversary of my uncles death, so, when I go on a ride to watch the sunset up a hill and have a beer to remember him I’ll leave the empty bottle there, cuz obviously that’s ok.

No doubt this will be deleted and I’ll be banned. I just think its very sad that people on here think littering is ok because it’s for someone’s memory

D0NK

but given how often people do it, we would be seeing them bout all the time?

baby robins have been eating them and choking to death, happy now?

unklehomered
    Free Member

baby robins have been eating them and choking to death, happy now?

😥

#flings arms to the sky# I DIDN’T KNOOOOOWWWWW!

mogrim

‘d imagine most of us have been guilty of throwing a banana skin away thinking it’ll be worm food in a week. I remember reading about the problem of them in a hiking magazine a few years back & I was too

Seems like it may not be true, a quick google shows 3-4 weeks as the most popular answer to the question “how long does banana peel take to decompose”.

Northwind

pukenroof – Member

Banana skins aren’t as biodegradable as you think as they are not native.

I’ve had the “not native” line after chucking a banana into a stand of sitka, which was interesting.

The “2 years to biodegrade” thing is… Well, let’s say misleading. It’s totally dependant on the environment it’s in, 2 years is for high level, relatively cold and dry, less critters to eat it. At lower level, it’s far faster, even assuming nothing eats it. Leave one in a cold enough place and it might end up preserved for thousands of years.

After a previous thread like this, I tested the theory and chucked one down the bottom of the garden. Something ate it after a couple of days, inconveniently. But I’m told by one of our rangers it’s normally 3-5 weeks in a fertile environment, though it’ll be unrecognisable before that.

OTOH you can bin it, and it’ll go to landfill most likely.

pukenroof
    Free Member

I got my previous from a google as i’m not a biologist. Whatever the decompose time is for a banana skin, it’s not as quick as you’d imagine is all I was saying. 2 years seems high truth be told.

pukenroof
    Free Member

I don’t do bananas anymore anyhow, just banana soreen & the wrapper goes in my pocket until I pass a bin.

@Northwind
    Enviroment depending, that’s the fella 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

There’s a fellow bike shed user at work who, whenever he gets a puncture, leaves all the detritus in the bike shed – old tube, CO2 cylinder, the lot. He seems to get a lot of punctures, there was a fresh one today.

I think I’ll start taking them home, repair them and put in the spares box.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

People on here seem to be real unlucky with the amount of cyclist hate they encounter. Aside from the odd tw*tty driver who cuts me up/white van men who shout bottom-related comments and beep their horns at me, I rarely see any evidence of this cyclist hate that gets brought up on here a lot. Maybe I’m just lucky, or naive/oblivious to it?!

Shock horror, I’ve never had an issue with walkers either!

brassneck

Banana Skins = 4 weeks in my composter. If the rats don’t make off with them, had to stop putting anything vaguely edible in there to discourage them taking up residence.

Northwind

allthepies – Member

I think I’ll start taking them home, repair them and put in the spares box.

I stopped halfway down caddon bank at innerleithen one time, at what seems to be the Official Puncture Repairing Spot, and decided to clear up all the tubes. Filled my camelbak so ended up doing this…

Inner tube man! Threw a bunch away, patched some others, still using them 2 years on.

pukenroof
    Free Member

Top banana Northwind 😀

ransos
    Free Member

OTOH you can bin it, and it’ll go to landfill most likely.

I take mine home and put them in the compost bin.

aracer
    Free Member

650B tubes are so hard to find in the shops that anyone lucky enough to own one will never let it out of their sight.

Presumably the difference from 26″ is so significant that it’s not possible to squeeze a 26″ tube in?

Northwind

Anyone who’s made the leap to 650B will be at pains to avoid that fact tbh. Any fule no it’s halfway between 26 and 29, no chance it’ll fit!

clubber
    Free Member

🙂 I use 26″ tubes in my 29er

mocha
    Free Member

Who carries tubes around in the box? All that extra weight, sheesh!

GrahamS

Stopped and picked up three different energy gel/bar wrappers in one day along one little stretch of my commute. I can only assume the guy dropping them must’ve missed his breakfast.

I rarely see any evidence of this cyclist hate that gets brought up on here a lot

Spend 5 minutes reading the online comments on any cycling story in a local newspaper. Or under any popular cycling video on YouTube.

Or worse still read some tweets at http://twitter.com/CycleHatred

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘one reason cyclists are hated!’ is closed to new replies.