Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • one reason cyclists are hated!
  • bigad40
    Free Member

I stopped to fix a puncture on this mornings ride in a nice little secluded car park and found an inner tube and its box left unashamedly for someone else to dispose of.
    In true womble style I’ll be using the offending 700×18/23 inner tube to hang stuff in garage and the old box goes in card recycling.
    Thanks for that you lycra wearing litter lout! 😕
    You got it there but can’t take it home!!

captaintomo
    Free Member

Weight Weenies

Coyote
    Free Member

****s I think you’ll find. No excuse for it.

mike399
    Free Member

I hate the dropping of energy gel wrappers… If you that good, you can carry them home. If not, take a banana!

scotroutes

I’d rather carry home a couple of wrappers than a banana skin

mrmo
    Free Member

one reason car drivers are hated, rode up the Gospel pass yesterday past a pile of dumped car tyres.

mike399
    Free Member

Exactly – a banana skin is biodegradable. Wrappers aren’t.

brooess
    Free Member

That’s not why cyclists are hated.
    Cyclists are hated because we’re a minority group who dare to step outside the norms of society (namely make an effort to look after our health, can cope with danger and don’t drive everywhere). Any group who steps outside the norms is seen as a threat.

Anyone who hates cyclists for leaving litter is just trying to rationalise their fear of the out-group…

I would agree, however, that anyone who litters is an arse…
    Why someone would litter an unused inner tube in its box amazes me. Maybe it wasn’t so much littered as fell out of their bag unknowingly?

btw, banana skins take 2 years to biodegrade, take them home

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said

FFS we are cyclists slagging off cyclists rather than slagging off those who leave litter 🙄

scotroutes

They’re both litter.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t even get me started. I do a bit of sea fishing & the amount of times I go on to a pier only to find empty coke bottles & beer cans is astounding. I despair at the ignorant, thoughtless shagwits that can manage to carry fairly heavy full bottles & cans to a fishing mark but haven’t got the brains of the fish theyr’e trying to catch to squash em down & dump them in a bin!
    & the odd thing is, you never catch anyone doing it. They must be all part time burglars cos you don’t catch many of them in the act either!

GRRRRR!!

warton
    Free Member

cyclists don’t leave litter, people do. I stopped at a layby today, and it was covered in cans of fosters. I didn’t think ” I hate people who drink fosters” i thought “some people are right dicks”

mike399
    Free Member

I’m not justifying it!

zilog6128

Found a crate’s worth of empty Fosters cans in the woods on today’s XC ride. Proper hacked me off – surely if you’ve dragged the heavy full cans deep into the woods you can haul the empties out? I guess I’ll go back in the week with the panniers on the CX bike and retrieve them.

joshvegas
    Free Member

What’s politics got to do with it?

yunki
    Free Member

I dunno if I would expect littering to place very highly on a list of reasons given by folk that hate cyclists..

I think some people just hate stuff in general.. and a few more actively enjoy hating stuff.. and if the nearest thing happens to be a cyclist, then that’s what they will hate

littering is pretty disgusting

grievoustim
    Free Member

Yep – retrieved an inner tube from a tree on the SDW this morning – what kind of arse could possibly think it an ok thing to do?

brooess
    Free Member

I think some people just hate stuff in general.. and a few more actively enjoy hating stuff.. and if the nearest thing happens to be a cyclist, then that’s what they will hate

Exactly. I doubt those that ‘hate’ us are, in every other part of their lives, happy and well-adjusted…

I suspect one reason cyclists are ‘hated’ a lot at the moment is that over the last 20 years, overt hatred of Jews, Blacks, Women, Homesexuals, Disabled etc has become less socially acceptable… so the anger gets re-directed at another minority outgroup.

Why someone would litter an unused inner tube in its box amazes me.

I assumed it was an old tube and the box that the new tube had been in.

Any way, what size tube was it ? 26″ I bet. Ne’er do wells and scoundrels to a man, these 26er riders. No 29er rider would do such a thing.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Banana skins are best chucked on the road where they fall apart or fed to the wild boar who love them. As do sheep.

epicyclo

zilog6128 – Member
    Found a crate’s worth of empty Fosters cans in the woods on today’s XC ride…

That’s a bit insensitive of you.

Any Australian can tell you that consumption of a crate of Fosters increases the gravitational pull of the the Earth and increases its spin rate. It is usually impossible to walk let alone carry a crate in those circumstances, especially as the ground will be slippery from upcycled Fosters.

So a bit more understanding please…

🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I hate the dropping of energy gel wrappers…

Yup. Saw a few at Ashton Court this week after the Bikefest last weekend. 😥

zilog6128

Any Australian can tell you

I doubt it, never met an Australian yet who drinks the rat piss known as Fosters!

paddy0091
    Free Member

Probably chucked there by many of the new breed on the road:

£6000 Pinarello
    Full sky kit
    Pushing 53*12

singlespeedstu

I always dump my rubber gimp kit in the hedge/carpark before returning home.
    I can only assume that road riders feel the same kind of shame so do similar things.

creedy
    Free Member

Confirmed mtber. However did LtB today with loads of energy gels and assorted sachets of carbs. Digested them and put the empties back in my tight fitting Lycra type top pockets. A bit gooey residue left in there. But you know what I own a washing machine!! Did see some unusual behaviour today though. Got called a dickhead because I didn’t use my breaks when someone pulled out on me from a rear stop!!!! On the whole though all very good. 🙂

creedy
    Free Member

Break stop!! Don’t know what a rear stop is honest!!!

epicyclo

zilog6128 – Member

I doubt it, never met an Australian yet who drinks the rat piss known as Fosters!

Hence the “upcycling”….

…and we’ll drink anything when we can’t get proper beer – XXXX

And why is it called XXXX, you may ask? Because only intellectuals can spell ‘beer’ in Oz. 🙂

sbd16v
    Free Member

its not a reason there hated, but it give the haters a reason to hate.

aracer
    Free Member

Any way, what size tube was it ? 26″ I bet. Ne’er do wells and scoundrels to a man, these 26er riders. No 29er rider would do such a thing.

Doubtless 650B. Only somebody who has to have the latest thing regardless of whether or not there’s any benefit would discard a punctured tube rather than taking it home to repair.

eskay

Thanks for that you lycra wearing litter lout!

How do you know they were wearing lycra?

kjcc25
    Free Member

I do a weekly litter pick on my local trail. Finding inner tubes hanging in trees and bushes is quite common. Last week found two plus the empty box. The most common litter is plastic energy drink bottles, usually Lucozade followed by Red Bull and just dropped on the trail. Those with a slight feeling of guilt try to hide their rubbish behind a log or rock! Gel sachets are found all along the trail usually with just enough of there sticky contents still in side to run out all over my gloves.

I find bike debris littering the trails most common are reflectors followed by mudguards, rear lights and surprisingly glasses. It’s also surprising how many empty cigarette packets are found, usually at the top of an uphill section.

Anyway I’m just about to go out now to do my litter pick.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Thanks for that you lycra wearing litter lout!

Could you not just have spoken to them and asked them to pick their litter up?

ransos
    Free Member

After finishing a ride a couple of months back, I found that my spare inner tube had fallen out of my seatpack somewhere en route.

Just sayin…

D0NK

keep seeing crash debris from vehicles all over the shop around busy junctions, doesn’t seem to offend people (other than me) and you don’t get rants about inconsiderate drivers (or tow truck/recovery agents either) leaving their crap everywhere.

Yes they are bellends – but hey, free tubes for us, got a nice new conti (only 1 snakebite, my tubes are usually peppered with patches) at cragg quarry the other week. That’s still not why people hate cyclists tho.

pukenroof
    Free Member

Banana skins aren’t as biodegradable as you think as they are not native.

Paper bag – 1 month
    Apple core – 8 weeks
    Orange peel and banana skins – 2 years
    Plastic bag – 10 to 20 years
    A plastic bottle – 450 years
    Chewing gum – 1 million years

D0NK

Orange peel and banana skins – 2 years

damn didn’t know they lasted that long 😳

Northwind

I agree with the comment up the page- people don’t dislike cyclists because of anything we actually do, they dislike us and then they use things we do as an excuse for that dislike. ’twas ever thus.

That said, littering is just piss poor.

aracer – Member

Doubtless 650B. Only somebody who has to have the latest thing regardless of whether or not there’s any benefit would discard a punctured tube rather than taking it home to repair.

Not likely- 650B tubes are so hard to find in the shops that anyone lucky enough to own one will never let it out of their sight.

pukenroof
    Free Member

@DONK
    I’d imagine most of us have been guilty of throwing a banana skin away thinking it’ll be worm food in a week. I remember reading about the problem of them in a hiking magazine a few years back & I was 😳 too

unklehomered
    Free Member

not sure I believe 2 years… #plans banana skin experiment in garden.

in the meantime I will curtail my BS chucking habits… but given how often people do it, we would be seeing them bout all the time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘one reason cyclists are hated!’ is closed to new replies.