Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • One pair of tyres for Portes du Soleil – what should they be?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’ve read they should be dual ply.
    I’ve done Stiniog twice on my everyday single ply High Rollers (2.35) with DH tubes with no probs, but don’t want to take any chances.
    Do I NEED to go down the DH tyre route, and if so what’s the one to go for?

Cheers

james
    Free Member

What rims are you on?
    Which DH tubes?
    What bike?

Most likely you’ll be fine. So long as you’re not running the tyres too soft. the DH tubes ought to take care of punctures

rascal
    Free Member

DT Swiss rims – not matching and can’t remember what they are off hand – not very wide.
    I think they’re Maxxis tubes.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.2 – 150 front, 140 back.
    ‘Larger’ pilot 😉

survivor

On DH bikes riding hard everyday for 10-14 days I’d pick a dual ply soft compoud on the front and a dual ply hard on the back.

i.e Maxxis Super Tacky front, Maxxis 60a Rear

kudos100
    Free Member

Either 1.5 or dual ply. I’ve tried both and not much difference.

I have a pair of dual ply high rollers for sale at a good price if you like. Email me if interested.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ran EXO single ply Minions and HR2 at PDS, tubeless, two years running. Though first year I did get a flint hole in the top that wouldn’t seal. Patched up and ran the same tyre last year no worries.

If you’re full on DHing, maybe dual ply, but for general PDS stuff, Passportes etc, I wouldn’t bother. Just a repair kit and/or spare tube and fix on the trail. Punctures still rare unless you run tubes.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Amazing offer on super gravity Schwalbe tyres at Wiggle. I went for the following recently:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-super-gravity-folding-tyre/

Got PaceStar for the back, Vertstar for the front.

I’m running them tubeless with EX729 rims and Stans – easy to fit and install.

These are awesome tyres, especially this SG version (the latest, top Evolution model) – I’ve got no idea why they’re on offer (people aren’t buying 26″ any more?) – they’re worth full price in my view.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

60a Minions/High Rollers (If you need the extra from Super Tacky just pretend you have them)
    or
    Wet Screams

rascal
    Free Member

Kudos – YGM

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve heard Hans Dampf are good – they come up quite big though don’t they?
    I’m still (and will be) running tubes so not sure if these are the best option.

Speeder

1 pair for a week? dual ply (proper DH casing) High Rollers* would be my suggestion. With those you can pretty much get away with normal tubes most of the time, certainly in he front which’ll save a chunk of weight. If you’re only out for a week and aren’t too much of a skidder I’d go Super tacky both ends.

Oh and a generous helping of talcum powder between the tyre and tube helps massively with pinch flats (though it is a bit of a PITA if you do puncture and have to clean up before patching)

* I’m a big fan of Maxxis though I’m aware more fashionable tyres are available.

trusty

If you’re not there purely for dh and on a trail bike you don’t have to run dual plies. 10 of us went last year, all on single ply tyres I think and we had 1 puncture all week riding the passportes and a mix of other stuff. Most were on maxxis, I was on specialized. Most of us were running tubeless as well

zero-cool
    Free Member

Dual Ply Minions or High Rollers. Perfect if it’s dry. If it’s as wet as last year it won’t make much difference what you run as even Wet Screams struggled in 6-10 inch deep mud.
    I ended up just having fun running my Minions in the wet last year.

tomaso
    Free Member

Dual ply is the Alpine holiday insurance you can get

niksnr
    Free Member

^^^^^ This! I ran Dual Ply Minions with DH tubes, didn’t want to take any chances on Megavalanche. Worked so well that I left them on for week in Morzine afterwards. Never punctured once and performed brilliantly. I’ve now gone from never using a Minion to having them on all 3 bikes!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Every time I go to the Alps, I worry about this, but still run a dual ply DHF Minion on the back and an Exo single ply Minion on the front. No punctures yet.

smatkins1
    Free Member

DHF Dual Ply Minions front and back is my tyre of choice for riding in the Portes du Soleil.

I go with 2.5″ with a super tacky on the front and would be running them tubeless if your wheel set up allows.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I don’t understand… why 1 pair…. i would take a spare just as a matter or course, stuff a couple in your bike bag as padding!

and the answer is… DP minions…

Perhaps throw in a mud tyre as well 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve done Stiniog twice on my everyday single ply High Rollers (2.35) with DH tubes with no probs, but don’t want to take any chances.
    Do I NEED to go down the DH tyre route, and if so what’s the one to go for?

If it’s worked for you at Antur it’ll be fine in the Alps too.

Maybe take some mud tyres too if you have the option though. You may end up being very thankful for them.

lcfr
    Free Member

Dual ply High Rollers or Minions.
    Extra tacky for the front. 2.5’s
    After doing five seasons in Morzine, that’s what works.
    Pray for dry weather.
    After the washout last season, all bets are off. It seems the weather pattern has shifted.
    Would suggest making a last minute decision rather than booking in advance.

b45her
    Free Member

minion 3c front, high roller 2 rear both tubeless.

your no more likely to get a puncture on a french mountain than a british one.

Furious

I ran tubeless Rubber Queens on my Heckler in the Alps. Running on Crests 😯 and had no issues whatsoever. No punctures, nothing exploded and no-one died

matt007
    Free Member

Maxxis Exo’s for me, id go with a pair of those in a 2.25 rear 2.3/2.4 front. Im currently running Ardent Race 2.25 on rear and minnion 2.3 on front, Exo / TR casings. They’d handle anything a ‘normal’ rider would put them through on a 150/140 trail bike and across 95% of trail surfaces. Im pretty heavy on tyres too and weigh in at 15 1/2 stone.

I run mine tubeless and the casings are strong / stiff enough for anything I do, I find them way tougher than Schwalbes (even the snakeskin wall variety) or Spesh control casing offerings.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never had an Alps puncture with HR dual plys, 4 or 5 weeks riding in total. I notice many riders out there don’t have dual plys but do tend to get a puncture or two – not really a crises as you’ll have spare tubes. You can put in heavy weight tubes too of course if you wish. The tubeless brigade generally prefer the ability to run low pressures for extra grip and see it as worthwhile vs any potential tyre/rim issues.

your no more likely to get a puncture on a french mountain than a british one.

Most of us don’t ride on mountains in the UK though, loamy Surrey Hills for me where there is barely a rock. Quite different to Alps, plus of course the roots are much bigger and you are generally riding faster/jumping a bit more so more scope for pinch flats too.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘One pair of tyres for Portes du Soleil – what should they be?’ is closed to new replies.