• This topic has 81 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • One Night: Joshua vs Ruiz
  • shinton
    Free Member

I’m not a massive boxing fan but have always been interested in the heavyweight division growing up in the Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes era but this program was brilliant (available on iPlayer).

The contributions by Stallone, Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard etc were excellent and the way it was shot with both close up, long range and slo-mo filming was very clever. In fact some of the footage was so brutal it really makes you think whether boxing should be banned.

Up there with Free Solo as a great sports film.

pondo

Cheers, look forward to that – only watched AJ Vs ARJr 1 yesterday, grim viewing for an AJ fan. 🙁

brownsauce
    Free Member

I know nothing of the program you speak of but was wondering today how saturdays fight will pan out.

Not sure that AJ took the first fight as seriously as he should but i expect a bit of a bounceback and hope he wins back his belts – I always support fellow Brits in any sport

Just a bummer i dont have the means to watch the fight live., assuming its only on sky box office or similar

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Noticed the fight is showing at the local cinema and is certified ‘18’. very odd for a sport.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hasn’t Joshua signed exclusively with a streaming company. Should be online tomorrow, although maybe not in the UK.

Kryton57

Well DezB, this one has a graphic display of people punching each other’s faces in after all.

BoardinBob

DAZN is only in the US. It’s on Sky Box Office here

DezB
    Free Member

Talking about the One Night documentary, it’s on iPlayer (BBC film). Just watched it, very good indeed.

@Kryton57
    – guessing you’ve not seen many films lately. 15s & 12s have far more unsuitable content than 2 highly trained sportsmen competing in their chosen sport.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just checked 25 **** quid on sky! That’s a piss take!

mooman
    Free Member

I can understand Tyson and Ray Leonard giving their opinions … but Stallone? he is an actor!

The heavyweight scene is as bad as I can ever remember. Tyson used to get some stick for only being dominant in an era very thin of decent heavyweights … but this era has absolutely no decent heavyweights.

chewkw
    Free Member

Joshua will keep his distance this time but I predict the same outcome as the 1st.

mooman
    Free Member

chewkw

Joshua will keep his distance this time but I predict the same outcome as the 1st.

How is Ruiz going to chin him then if he keeps the distance?

chewkw
    Free Member

How is Ruiz going to chin him then if he keeps the distance?

Opps … misread …

Ruiz just go mental when he is within the distance but this time he will need to put in more effort as Joshua will run …

ctk
    Free Member

I think it’ll be same again.

johndoh
    Free Member

The programme is no more than a vehicle to sell the fight. Unfortunately I will be paying as I want to watch it although it won’t be anything like as ‘Rocky’ as the recent Tyson Fury fight.

Joshua will win this time though – I reckon it will be quite straight forward.

DezB
    Free Member

The programme is no more than a vehicle to sell the fight

Except it’s a BBC programme. And besides, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t entertaining – particularly Tyson’s bits.

Yeah, Joshua wasn’t motivated last time, was surprised when he got clocked by that hook. He’ll be ready and won’t take Ruiz lightly, so when he gets the knockdown, won’t go in recklessly. Joshua will win this time.
    No way I’m paying £25 though.

mooman
    Free Member

Yes looks like a bore-fest on the cards. Joshua will have a very safety first approach and only go for a stoppage if Ruiz is absolutely and totally spent.

Possibly a very late stoppage for Joshua or more likely a points win for him.
    Ruiz was never that good hence why he got the original job – unfortunately Joshua isn’t too good either so things went off plan.

Not sure who Joshua fights next though. Wilder would decapitate him and Fury would make him look the mug he is.

mikey3
    Free Member

Joshua weighs in at 16st 13lb – 10 lb lighter than last time
    Champion Ruiz scales 20st 2lb – 15lb heavier than before

pondo

Wow – important numbers!

DezB
    Free Member

Champion Ruiz scales 20st 2lb – 15lb heavier than before

Living it up… unexpectedly reached the top, doesn’t particularly care if he stays there..? (See Spinks, Douglas etc).
    Points to a bit of a walkover… maybe.

andykirk
    Free Member

It’s funny though, even at those weights and with the differences in physique, Ruiz will still have more fitness stamina than Joshua.

frankconway

I’m no expert but…Ruiz up by 15lbs to 20 stone; that’s a lot of bulk for a 6′ 2″ frame; I think he’s gained too much.
    AJ down by 10lbs so should help with speed, movement and stamina; what impact on resilience and punching power?
    If AJ can move Ruiz around the ring – hit’n’run – without running out of steam, he gets the title back.
    Who wants this most? AJ for me but I wouldn’t put money on him.

Garry_Lager

That’s true up to a point, andykirk – Ruiz is probably the superior athlete at an innate level. He certainly looked it last time out. But contesting a world HW championship fight at 20 stone, 6 foot tall? Bloke’s miles out of shape – though it would be close but reckon AJ will wreck him now.

andykirk
    Free Member

Watching some of Ruiz’s training videos he looks like he could box all day and not be out of puff, even at 20 stone. I think maybe that’s what happens when you start fighting age 6. If AJ doesn’t get him in the first 5 rounds (which I think he will) there could be trouble.

scuttler

Really enjoyed the documentary. I won’t be watching this weekend just like I didn’t see the last fight but the documentary gave some great insight into the world of heavyweights. Tyson in particular was great as was having the the ref talk.

mooman
    Free Member

andykirk

Watching some of Ruiz’s training videos he looks like he could box all day and not be out of puff, even at 20 stone. I think maybe that’s what happens when you start fighting age 6. If AJ doesn’t get him in the first 5 rounds (which I think he will) there could be trouble.

Totally agree. Ruiz is the natural fighter; and last time showed he was the better skilled boxer too.
    !7 stone is still a very big heavyweight though – and he is 17 stone of muscle, so he will still be punching very hard despite being 10lb lighter. The weight loss will be for speed obviously, but also an attempt to stop him gassing around mid way as usual.

Its difficult to know if Ruiz has put on the extra weight from complacency and lack of focus, or if there is a genuine reason such as to help him absorb the punches he will be taking early on. Only he and his team will know if the weight has slowed him down .. Ruiz being a lifelong fatty I imagine the extra weight will not make a slight bit of difference to his foot or hand speed.

I beginning to lean towards Ruiz

mikey3
    Free Member

Ruiz has fought at 21.2 stone in the past,maybe he knows he doesn’t lose much in hand speed being heavier and fancies he will still beat Joshua to the punch with a bit more bulk behind it.Or he knows the millions he will get and has got has set him up for life and he isn’t really bothered if he loses as life will be sweet either way,guess we’ll find out.

djflexure

Can’t believe anybody thinks Ruiz will win
    Joshua will get to him
    Eventually

Caher

I watched the first fight (not watching this time) but i reckon Ruiz has a very good chance of a win. Its got to really play on AJ how easily Ruiz consistently caught him.

mooman
    Free Member

djflexure

Subscriber
    Can’t believe anybody thinks Ruiz will win
    Joshua will get to him
    Eventually

Really? do you know that Ruiz actually has beaten Joshua before … like in Joshua`s last fight??

djflexure

Ok let’s see

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thought that it may be close but I can’t believe Ruiz can carry that much extra weight and be as effective as last time , and Joshua looks as good as ever and seems much more focussed this time . I wouldn’t put my house on AJ but I strongly fancy him for the win this time round .

Ruiz was never that good hence why he got the original job – unfortunately Joshua isn’t too good either so things went off plan.

I think that is doing Ruiz a massive injustice . Outstanding amateur record and only 1 defeat as a pro in over 30 contests .

mooman
    Free Member

Ruiz did indeed have a good amateur career; Dominated the Mexican heavyweight scene … now being a heavyweight in a country that produces great smaller weight boxers – and not too many boxer over the middleweight division kinda tells you he didn’t have too much competition anyways. That dominance in Mexico didn’t transfer when fighting internationally.

And take a look at his pro record. The best name on his record beat him and that guy had already been beaten by Joshua.

soobalias
    Free Member

strongly recommend the documentary

who knows how it will go tonight, certainly dont expect it to be boring, if you do, remind yourself of how ruiz conducted himself last time.

DezB
    Free Member

…how easily Ruiz consistently caught him
    You did watch the documentary? The reason he caught him easily was because AJ took Ruiz lightly – He knocked Ruiz down with the first decent punch he landed, well, that either of them landed, as Ruiz landed nothing for over 2 rounds. Joshua then thought, right, lets go home for tea, went wading in carelessly and got caught by a lovely hook, that, in Tyson’s words, made him all ‘**** up’. He never recovered from the **** upness. All he has to do this time is not take one of those big shots. Land on Ruiz and its time for tea. Nothing to it (wink wink). But its boxing innit, who knows. Not even Mooman knows! 😂

MSP

And take a look at his pro record. The best name on his record beat him and that guy had already been beaten by Joshua.

Many knowledgeable boxing commentators though that was a very dodgy decision, even the president of the NZ boxing commission publicly stated he thought Parker had lost the fight by some margin.

mooman
    Free Member

DezB

Subscriber
    All he has to do this time is not take one of those big shots. Land on Ruiz and its time for tea. Nothing to it (wink wink). But its boxing innit, who knows. Not even Mooman knows! 😂

Yep – that sounds a contest winning fight strategy.

And no – I am not confident of either guy winning. Ruiz knocked Joshua down a few times before stopping him last time – so as difficult as it is for those who dont know anything about boxing – it proves he has the beating of Joshua.
    But you would think that Joshua this time will use his better physical advantages to keep the shorter Ruiz on the end of the jab until he can measure him for a right hand … hence why I think that it has every chance of being a Klitchko-esque type jab & grab affair for many of the rounds in the hope that an opportunity arises to walk Ruiz into a right hand.

mikey3
    Free Member

Annoyingly i’m really interested in the fight but think that buying the PPV is wrong on every level,thanks to anyone that does though as you are ensuring that PPV’S will be about £50 soon.Save up for some principles instead:).

mooman
    Free Member

You will be able to watch the fight on plenty of sites in the morning. To be honest I follow boxing, but not that big a fan to be that bothered about not being able to watch it as it happens … the next morning is good for me.

And totally agree about the PPV. Its a TV tax for the stupid.

MSP

What time GMT is it on anyway?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘One Night: Joshua vs Ruiz’ is closed to new replies.