Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • one man tent – lightweight summer…recommend?
  • perks

as per title…what would you suggest just for a three/four days biking/camping…

cheers

AlasdairMc

Budget? Where are you camping?

Terra Nova Laser if weight is important and budget is not

kayak23

Carrying the tent with you on the bike, or not carrying the tent?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

If buget is important and weight is not (very) then the Gelert Solo is fatastic value at £30, buying replacement Vango alu pole kit will save a few grammes and still bring the whole tent under £50
    Mine withstood a very rainy WRT last year.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bivvy plus a dose of mtfu

perks

carrying tent on bag so ideally pannier size…or strappable to frame…

budget not sure until I see the options/spec of what’s recommended…

thanks guys!

perks

I meant on bike…

south downs/west of scotland…!

alfabus
    Free Member

laser +1

slept two comfortably (although without any kit inside) while cycle touring last year…. porch gave enough room for a few bags.

would be a palace for one.. and weighs about a kilo all in.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Money no object = Terra Nova Laser
    Budget option = Gelert Solo Lite (Argos)

Or have a word with Turneround on here, see if he has any Mountain Hardwear bargains going…

ironside7000
    Free Member

Wild Country Tents Zephyros 1
    1.57kg
    52 x 14cm pack size

Same design as Terra Nova Laser just waaaaay cheaper

Some good reviews on-line – Rated 5/5 by Trail Magazine December 2011

Tempted to buy one and use the Go Outdoors price match +10% thing

gsp1984
    Free Member

Vango Banshee 200 = Resonably priced, decent for 1 person, 2 at a push. weighs nothing, packs away small.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just bought an MSR Hubba. Light with lots of interior space, good vestibule too.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new tent too, I’ve got a gelert solo which is great in terms of pack size and weight (and price), but I’ve decided it’s just too small to be comfortable – I want a tent I can sit up in to drink a cup of tea or get changed in.

Interested in that Wild Country one above, seems to suit my needs…WC seems to be Terra Nova’s budget brand, like what Skoda is to Volkswagen?

kayak23

Nemo Gogo….Bivi in stature, tent by nature.
    Under 1kg, no poles, funky colour.
    Took mine kayaking in India and California. Spot on.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJmoEc0jbo[/video]

ElShalimo

TRAIL mag is a comic. They’re the MBR/MBUK of the walking world trying to make everything look new and funky when it’s rehashed crap from 2 years ago in a different font.
    Try looking at TGO for more mature reviews. Even they are obsessed with lightweight above durability and comfort but do appear to be less driven by promoting advertisers products in their reviews

Wild Country are part of the Terra Nova group and do make excellent tents. They aren’t as light or as expensive as TN tents but they are still very good products as sensible prices.

These guys are a reliable source of info and well priced products
    As with all these things you really must try before you buy especially if you’re tall or broad as 1-man tents are usually a little cramped as they’re designed for light weight fast moving trips where they are just a shelter for you to sleep in.

This guy’s blog is full of good info and opinion. It’s quite inspirational that he’s out in all weathers at all times of year doing what he loves. Just look through the kit review bit for tents and other kit

headfirst
    Free Member

ElShalimo, that first link of your’s is exactly what I’ve been looking for! If only there were an extra column with where each tent can be bought at the lowest price… 😉

Mounty_73

+1 Vango Banshee 200.

I have used mine for the last 3 years and its been great, the first time was up in the Lakes on my first wild camp.

We had terrible weather and I was very nervous, but the tents performance was great!

rudedog
    Free Member

1.57kg
    52 x 14cm pack size

This is the one I would go for also – its had some fantastic reviews considering it’s relatively low price

(It’s probably worth adding that it is made by the same company who make the terra nova laser)

perks

wow,…as ever fantastic stuff from STW…lots to chew over!

cheers!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MSR Hubba here… Greta little tent, with loads of space…

ElShalimo

This looks okay
    As does this one

rocket
    Free Member

I’ve got a WC Zephyros 1. Good little tent – quite light, reasonably robust and fairly cheap. It did 3 nights rainy windy wild camping in the highlands and I stayed dry. I’m 6’2 and whilst it wasn’t exactly a mansion I found it fine. Friend got one after using a gelert solo and much preferred it.

UK-FLATLANDER
    druidh
    Free Member

I have a Macpac Ultralight at the moment and I’ve been trying to decide if it really is worth spending upwards of £250 on a MSR Hubba HP…..

surfer
    Free Member

1.57kg
    52 x 14cm pack size

For info I wanted one of these and they have them in Sports direct for £120. I mailed Go Outdoors who agreed to reduce theirs to 107.99 but they dont have them in stock anywhere unfortunately.
    Ordered from Sports Direct in the end

theflatboy
    Free Member
    plumber
    Free Member

Vaude taurus ultralite

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gelert Solo and the main downsides with it were the size (it is very, very small) and the crap standard poles (might cracked on the 2nd use although they’ve not actually broken). It is light and packs small for the cash though. The size is the main reason I wouldn’t upgrade it with better poles though as for me it’s too small for anything more than single night use. Definitely way too cramped for a 3/4 day trip.

A couple of weeks back I bought one of the Terra Nova Laser Competitions when they were on sale at £132 from Field and Trek (they’re normally over £300) so if those are still available that’d be a good choice.

The bargain lightweight single person tent used to be one of the Pro-Actions that Argos sold. It’s a great bit of kit for very little cash, as well as being a decent size inside. Not sure you can get them new any more but they used to be on Ebay fairly frequently.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have just got a lichfield treklite 200. its a copy of the vango banshee 200. since they are made in the same factory i figured the price difference was all about the badge. pretty roomy for a 2kg tent and at £36.25 i recon its a bargain.

cookeaa

You don’t need one of these posh tents.
    Take a tarp and a few feet of rope, then whittle your poles when you get to your campsite, or string it up in the trees, or just sleep out under the stars and let the mozzies feast upon your face.

You know Mears style… 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘one man tent – lightweight summer…recommend?’ is closed to new replies.