Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • One lightweight windproof jacket to rule them all
  • hb70

I want one jacket.

1. Super thin and light, so I can layer underneath it for warmth.
    2. Windproof definitely, but the waterproof bit is not critical. Splash, mud, wind, drizzleproof. But for pissing it down I’ll wear something else (and probably not go out because well…)
    3. Want to be able to throw it in a cool wash without worrying too much.
    4. Packable. Packs down into a small pack for a bumbag.

Recommendations really welcome. Thanks

mactheknife

How much do you want to spend. Jottnar do one. Its pretty awesome but very pricey.

jsync

Because of the packable jacket reviews recently by Hannah I have been having a look at this. I decided the Patagonia Houdini Air would be the best choice and can be had for a not insignificant £125 if you look. Another alternative is the Rab Vital which is less breathable, has no DWR but is only £40!

I do not have either yet though so can’t comment on real life experience.

hb70

How much do you want to spend? Lockdown has pushed me into the “buy quality products once not loads of shit” camp. So if its going to last me 10 years, 100 rides a year then the pence per wear drops a lot.

hb70

Jesus that Jottnar stuff is eyewatering? Does it pedal for you? 🙂

z1ppy

paramo Ostro windproof £60 instead £120 No idea if there any good, but maybe just what your looking for, & I use a Polaris am gilet (Sign up & wait for a sale) for this application.

IHN

Montane Featherlight used to do all these things, and packs to the size of an apple.

jsync

I have an old Montane Featherlight smock but I find it gets clammy easily.

IHN

Have you washed it? (Seriously, gunk bungs up the breathability pores, a gentle wash often helps)

jsync

Might try that… 🙂

footflaps

Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody – think I have one sans hood you can have for not much..

I replaced it with a ME Echo jacket which is a bit thicker / tougher and heavier….
    Echo Hooded Jacket

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have a montane trailstar for this purpose.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve been using a Berghaus Cadence that I got on sale for £15. Good, lightweight windstopper jacket and cheap when I bought it. Not so cheap now though.

firestarter
    Free Member

Paramo ostro is brilliant I use it trail running all the time, I’ve the normal one not the ultra light one

13thfloormonk

Just get a Gore Shakedry and be done with it, mine is a damn site more breathable than my clammy old Endura packable windproof.

The C7 is the best fitting jacket I’ve ever ridden in to boot.

didnthurt

I loved my Montane Velo but the zip broke (don’t they all?). I bought a 7 mesh Northwood to replace it and I tend to ride it most of the time (great if the weather is 10 degrees or below). I got mine in a sale over 3 years ago. Still in great condition with no rips or holes. I use it on my road bike and mountain bike. Would buy another but still probably can’t justify it’s retail cost despite me getting so much wear out of it.

didnthurt

I bought my pal one of the wind proof jackets from Alpkit. It’s a bit more rustly than my 7 mesh one but they’re less than half the price. The fit looks great and I like the way the dropped tail has a semi-hidden draw cord so it stays in place.

didnthurt

I would argue that an affordable lightweight windroof jacket is the most suitable item of clothing you can buy for the uk. The fit is important though.

sirromj

I like my One Industries ION Windbreaker jacket. MTB/MX not a roadie fit. Not waterproof, extended drizzle would get through, but splash, mud, wind, no problem. Lightweight & most importantly breathable. Looks pretty similar to this, : https://www.mattgardinermx.com/product/one-industries-mens-vapor-jacket-coat-grey-mtb-motocross-mx/

Watty

One lightweight windproof jacket to rule them all

I have it. A late 80s Ron Hill PERTEX ripstop pull-on smock, in, you guessed it, purple! It folds into its own chest pocket and is great. Lightweight, breathable and keeps that chilly wind out. I bought it because it matched my Courier. Oh, it has a hood too. 😁

chakaping
    Free Member

You haven’t listed breathability as a priority, so a Montane Featherlite or something similar would seem to be just the ticket.

Never use mine personally though, I tend to just commit to wearing a softshell for the whole ride.

StirlingCrispin

I have Ron Hill pertex jacket I bought in a sale from the local running shop a few years ago.

Lives in my back pocket and on a par with a Montane smock it replaced.

lister

I bought a karrimor sample from their shop in Alnwick when they were a proper brand. It’s probably 20 years old. The bottom of the zip has rusted so it’s over the head now but apart from that it’s ace. Packs down to the size of an apple. Not sweaty. Windproof. Still has 3 reflective letters stuck to one sleeve.
    Go back 20 years and buy one of those.

Or Montane 😉

andy8442
    Free Member

Alpkit Morphosis. Light as a light thing.

jimmy

I have an old Montane Featherlight smock but I find it gets clammy easily.

I have an old-old Featherlight which feels like a plastic bag compared to a newer trail light (aimed at running rather than cycling) ; I’m assuming the material will have changed for both and the trail light is much more breathable and does what you describe. I bought mine because it’s orange and is used for commuting and my limited road duties in all but the coldest and wettest conditions.

RicB

The roadie equivalent is probably a Castelli Perfetto. You could use it for mtb but it’s a closer fit than mtb clothing. Really breathable and shower proof. I absolutely love mine.

Not a pack and stow jacket though- one you’d wear all the time if below 10deg

If you want packable, breathable and water resistant then a Shakedry jacket is best but they seem a bit fragile. Good for road but for mtb I’d want something a bit more robust.

If you get something breathable and not too warm why wouldn’t you just wear it all the time and adjust mid layers to suit the temperature?

cb

Wouldn’t discount the Aussie Grit Flint jacket, bargain at 35 quid.

CountZero

Montane Featherlight used to do all these things, and packs to the size of an apple.

Excellent thing, had one for years, it’s living in a little canvas army-style bag I carry all the time, was an essential bit of kit when I used to ride.
    The smock top is currently out of stock, but this is only a few grams heavier, and a tenner cheaper…
    https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/featherlite-trail-jacket-p678
    Personally I like the sheer simplicity of the smock, but this does have the chest pocket for some cash or a key or a debit card.
    https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/featherlite-smock-limited-edition-p676

wzzzz
    Free Member

I know people who swear by the Buffalo windshirt.

Many venting options and a dropped rear.

Style is subjective.

Personally I need a full length zipper as I might take it on and off during a ride.

andykirk
    Free Member

Alpkit Morphosis as mentioned above. It is backed with a thin fleece layer, so also keeps you warm when worn over a t-shirt, meaning you don’t have to take mid-layer (unless maybe in Winter). I absolutely love mine and am tempted to buy another.

antigee

Had a couple of montanes and did the job…currently have one of these

Men's Ultralight Wind Jacket

Does the job and ok in light showers would probably buy another if lost it…only available direct I think so adding in shopping and vat not a low cost option

Watty

Available in the UK Here

BadlyWiredDog

I know people who swear by the Buffalo windshirt.

Classic Pertex isn’t as breathable as people think. It works by having a super tight, super fine weave, which in turn means it stops vapour exiting quite effectively too. You’re better off with something like Pertex Equilibrium, which sacrifices a little wind resistance for better breathability – it’s what Rab uses on the outside of Vapour Rise stuff.

The Rab VR Alpine is brilliant for most mountain biking use ime, but expensive and slightly warm for proper summer use. As mentioned above, the Alpkit Morphosis does a very similar job, but at a much more affordable price and has zoned rather than uniform liner. I really like mine.

Arc’teryx does an ace running windproof called the Incendo which also works well on the bike. It has mesh panels under the arms though, so if you want full windproofing maybe not, but really well made and nicely cut in a fitted, athletic way.

mrb123
    Free Member

If you’re after something super light and packable then I would recommend the Sportful Hotpack jackets.

They pack down easily into a jersey pocket, keep the wind off well and will repel a light shower.

karnali
    Free Member

for super packable OMM sonic either smock or jacket, my son has one makes my montane featherlite trail jacket look bulky

Pyro

I have both the Montane Featherlite Pro smock and a Haglofs Shield jacket. They’re both ace.

scc999

I lost my Montane featherlite smock to the other half. Better for using as a throw on layer for climbing or stops – less great for biking IMO.

I’ve got a cheap decathlon full zip wind proof that isn’t too bulky, but the sleeves are a bugger to push up if you get hot but dont want to stop. For what I paid for it ( <20 quid) I cant moan though.

Might look at the alpkit one when the shops open again….

Kryton57
    hb70

I love Singletrack. thanks all.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve got a Montane Featherlight smock that I found wrapped around a barbed wire fence in the middle of a moor. It’s got barbed wire holes in a number of spots and has been damaged by the sun in a number of places and it’s the one piece of kit that I always take walking and cycling.
    Superbly versatile as a windshirt, sunblocker, even as a crude vapour barrier layer under something-tex shells.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘One lightweight windproof jacket to rule them all’ is closed to new replies.