Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • One jacket to rule them all. Bike , ski , pub
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Right , I want a decent jacket for mtb, splitboarding and attracting members of the opposite sex, or at least not putting them off. Not sweating is important , packability kind of, price, whatevz if it is worth it. Cheers

StirlingCrispin

Buffalo Special-6.

grum
    Free Member

I know nowt about them but I thought these looked quite nice

https://labomono.com/collections/the-urban-jacket

matt_outandabout

So you’re going to go to the pub in a jacket smeared in mud and stinking of ski-sweat?

Smooooth.

oldtennisshoes

Patagucci obvs
    The only issue I see is that you need a differen5 fit for skiing than biking IMHO

grum
    Free Member

I have a Patagonia MTB jacket that was spendy but gets worn the most out of all my jackets.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/clothing/jackets-and-vests/jackets/patagonia-dirt-roamer-jacket-review/

Not sure I’d wear it for skiing though I’m not sure why

jimmy

I’d pick two of those three. An MTB jacket used in anger isn’t going to go down well in the pub.

dickster
    Free Member

McNair mountain shirts are good for ski/snowsports and pub and possibly getting admiring glances not sure about riding in them though. I’ve had a couple of their merino ones and they’re great.
    https://mcnairshirts.com/

Spin
    Free Member

Ski and pub might work but I don’t see bike fitting in with that.

easily
    Free Member

Those McNair shirts look lovely, but the first one I looked at cost three hundred and seventy five pounds. I’m going to repeat that – three hundred and seventy five pounds. I’m going to repeat it again: three hundred and seventy five pounds.

I like this:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-blackline-softshell-jacket?sku=100618987

Great on the bike, good for the pub, useless for skiing.

lunge

Something like a thin soft shell could work.
    You’ll need to layer up for skiing but it should be OK for MTB, if a touch warm. Pick your colour well and it’ll be fine in the pub.

graemethejock

I own 2 McNair shirts one heavyweight and one mid weight they are pricey but by far the best garment I own
    Not much use for riding I’d imagine

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think i should clarify. Thanks so far mind. I usually wear softshells as i sweat shedloads and I get very hot. I’m thinking some sort of ultra breathable shell jacket. Surely there most be something which is decent for both mtb and splitboarding, for use on the ascent where I sweat buckets, and to keep the snow out when I descend

(not skiing, just said ski to keep the title short)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’m sure you could find something in the Arcteryx range to suit you.

jkomo

I’d get three jackets for each activity.

csb

Skiing kit requirement (jackets at least) is massively overhyped for 80% of the time. If it’s cold, dry you can certainly use a softshell (in the US at minus 15 we were amazed that all the locals did) and it’s only when the freeze level is crap that you need mega waterproof. A 1500m freeze level was tricky in the alps as we skiied down through heavy snow to pouring rain.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Jkomo wow nine in total! Do you think I’m made of money

yosemitepaul

McNair for me too, got two, but not for riding. (perhaps horses but not pedal bikes)

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mountain Equipment Gandiva jacket which I use on the bike, running and ski touring. Pretty breathable and as waterproof as any jacket I’ve had. It’s light and nice to wear but probably not particularly robust.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d get three jackets for each activity.

Nine jackets seems excessive.

jkomo

No I don’t ski. 6 is fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

Good point 👍

mrchrist

Jkomo I am pmsl…

crikey
    Free Member

When I was a boy I only had one jacket and it did everything.

Get a snorkel parka.

crikey
    Free Member

Oooh, and a tank top knitted by my granny for when it got proper cold.

footflaps

If it’s cold, dry you can certainly use a softshell

I only use a GTX shell skiing if it’s snowing, most of the time I just use Arcteryx ski touring stuff which is softshell based. Breathes much better and nicer fabrics.

joefm

interesting. have you only got one coat hook?

willard

For local, I would go for either Klättermusen or Norrøna, but the same kind of exceptions apply. I have a non-goretex jacket from Klättermusen that I use for dry skiing conditions and that will pass for a normal, smart-ish jacket, but which is not heavy rain proof. I also have a waterproof by them that I use for MTB and Skiing, but which is not smart.

If you are down this way, pop by the Barkaby outlet village on E18, see what they have. Either that or order stuff from Addnature, try it and send it back if you don’t like it.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘One jacket to rule them all. Bike , ski , pub’ is closed to new replies.