Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • One helmet to rule them all!
  • didnthurt

I’m probably looking the moon on a stick but here I go.

My road and mountain bike helmets are a few years old now (about 5 years) and although neither have taken any big impact I’m thinking it’s time to replace them.

Requirements are:
    – A single helmet to replace the two helmets.
    – I have medium circumference sized head but need a deep helmet, Giro tend to fit well.
    – Will be used for cyclo-cross, road, mountain biking and gravel.
    – Understated, nothing too brash or ‘out-there’
    – I really like the magnetic closer on my road helmet so would also like this again.
    – MIPS
    – less than £100

What you got?

abingham

I use a Kask Rex for everything. Not under £100 when I bought it IIRC but hasn’t put a foot wrong and I’ve used it for about 3 or 4 years now.

Murray

Giro Montaro MIPS

Peak comes off easily or tilts up out of the way for road use. No magnetic closure though.

didnthurt

Montaro looks decent, how does the light/camera integration thingy work?

didnthurt

Kask Rex looks nice but a bit too Enduro looking for what I’m after.

didnthurt

This Smith one looks nice, but how much?
    https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/smith-trace-mips-bike-helmet/

Anyone use Smith cycle helmets?

Murray

Montaro has a clip in piece of plastic GoPro mount that goes in a vent on the top. I have a Joystick GoPro style holder that I leave attached, just add click it in when I need it

didnthurt

Might just buy one of these, they even come in a minty green to match my cross bike.

https://www.merlincycles.com/giro-fixture-mips-mtb-helmet-2019-109383.html

Anyone use a Giro Fixture?

dyna-ti

The Kask rex is in wiggle at £94. Seems to be medium only 😕
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-rex-mtb-helmet?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360749635&kpid=5360749635&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|slLna8JTq_dc|mcrid|295269662850|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360749635uk|mslid||&mkwid=slLna8JTq_dc&pcrid=295269662850&prd=5360749635uk&pgrid=56772354862&ptaid=pla-523322484901&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0a2T4ZGd6wIVgrTtCh1HAwYzEAYYASABEgIAZPD_BwE

ashweee
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Kask Rex which is super comfortable but not as well vented as it looks.

I bought one of these in the non mips variety for commuting and I’m really impressed with it, really comfortable, well ventilated and feels really well made. Mine came with a really thick bag and an extra set of pads too. https://www.stifmtb.com/collections/open-face-helmets/products/sweet-protection-dissenter-mips-helmets-matte-white

darksideby182

Bell sixer Mips can be had around £100 has a integrated mount for light/GoPro.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I too need a new lid.

I’m a bit old school and prefer the road lids (like Giro Pneumo and the like) rather than the enduro style that seems to be the rage these days, but I’m fed up with constantly replacing the fragile Rocloc retention systems and the pads dont last five minutes.

Shame as Giro’s fit me well.

continuity
    Free Member

If you go off of the Vtech helmet safety ratings (https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html), then the best crossover XC/road helmets are:

Lazer Century MIPS
    Scott ARX Plus (Also MIPS) (has a removable short peak, best looking)
    S Works Prevail MIPS
    Z1 MIPS
    Z20 MIPS
    Cyclone MIPS

Just pick the one you like the look of best.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Catlike Mixino. £80-100.

Loads of ventilation (was warn by Quintana in the The Tour). Internal strengthening bits so when it takes a serious impact it doesn’t fall apart before a next big impact.

schmiken

Kask Valegro?

jsync

I had a giro montaro (which was great) and have just moved to a Bell sixer and it is nicer. Better ventilation and slightly deeper. Tried a Smiths Rover and the fit was no good for me.

grim168
    Free Member

Picked a montaro up last week from merlin cycles for 89 quid. Not ridden with it yet but feels very comfortable and well made.

garlando

I have a fixture mips and think it’s great. Giro helmets fit me really well so I don’t need all the adjustment of the more expensive ones. I’m a medium hex moved to (one size) fixture.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whilst not an answer to your question I was in same position. Rather than buy 1 helmet for 100 quid I bought 3 from planet x for 75 quid, one for each discipline I do.

They are as good as anything I’ve ever bought from the likes of giro and less than half the price.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I tried one of those Planet X lids (a Carnac Croix SL Road with rear LED).

It’s OK (and very cheap), but coming from a medium Giro, I found the fit was a little odd. Like very ’round’ for my head.

darthpunk
    Free Member

It’s OK (and very cheap), but coming from a medium Giro, I found the fit was a little odd. Like very ’round’ for my head.

I bought one of the On-One Enduro helmets, seemed very “round”, like it was made for Stewie Griffins head. But, it was down to a tenner at the time and worth the punt

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im looking for a new helmet too at the moment and eyeballing a smith one. But need to get to a bike shop to try a few on as my head shape doesnt work with some brands.

I normally get on well with Giro but they can f*** right off now ive learned about their NRA sponsorship (and camelback too..)

stanfree
    Free Member

I have a POC tectal for the mtb and an Octal for the road . Both very good and light.

didnthurt

I do like the POC’s but not sure they’d suit my head shape and they’re a bit too spendy for me.

Shame about Giro and Bell’s parent company being a big arms manufacturer which has now put me off the pair of them. They’re makes that fit my head shape really well.

Sounds like I need to try a few on which I’m not sure how easy that is since Covid-19.

Any ethically owned gravel type helmets you can recommend that don’t cost the same price as my bike? 😉

didnthurt

Kask are a bit too expensive for me.

Not sure about Catlike styling.

POC a bit too much like a Lego helmet and are too expensive.

Bell and Giro owned by gun company with s$$$ty ethics.

Told you it was moon on a stick territory. 😂

didnthurt

Smith’s look decent, come with MIPS and come at an affordable cost, might order a few up and see what they’re like in the flesh. Unless you know of a stockist in or around Edinburgh?

didnthurt
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘One helmet to rule them all!’ is closed to new replies.