Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • One headset, two steerers: tapered and standard – is it possible?
  • kazafaza
    Free Member

I was wondering if there’s a headset that you could use with both steerer tubes standards(tapered and straight 1 1/8″)?

I’ve got 44mm headtube and would like to use straight steerer rigid fork and tapered steerer suspension unit. Is there a wider base crown race or some sort of a converter from 1 1/8″ steerer to 1,5″ headset or am I dreaming of a part that doesn’t exist(hear me bike designers/tinkerers!)

Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best!

druidh
    Free Member

The On One Smoothie mixer and the Chris King can both be fitted with alternative crown races to do exactly what you want.Hope do an add-on to do similar.

singlespeedstu

Hope and King do headsets that will let you do that.
    You just need to buy two different crown races.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wisepranker
    Free Member

I’d guess that you could use a Hope headest and fit the crown race adaptor on the straight steerer forks and have the normal set up on the tapered steerer forks.

Does that make sense?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said about hope headsets +1

kazafaza
    Free Member

Many thanks for your answers, off to the Hope’s website!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do Hope do this with just a different base plate? I know that is how Chris King do it and it’s a neat solution as you don’t increase the stack height.

The versions I’ve seen on the Hope system do it using a different lower cup and it’s not very neat as the cup extends down as thus:

It looks ungainly as well as raising the front end.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I was in a similar position. You need a Hope pick n mix “2” upper and “H” lower with their reducer crown race.

HOPE BROCHURE

It could be extra convenient to buy a spare tapered crown race to fit one to each fork (on top of the reducer for the standard fork) to make swapsies easier. They are split so not too hard to remove but the less gouging/fiddling/levering on the crown the better eh? I wouldn’t bother with the cup above, the tapered cup has a nice big bearing and looks pretty good.

GeForceJunky

If you already have a tapered headset all you need is a Hope HS136 so you can fit a 1.5″ headset crown race to your 1 1/8 forks.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Depends what size headtube you’ve got.
    With my integral style headtube I’m able to use a normal hope crown race on my tapered forks and then for the 1 1/8 straight steerer I add hope part no. HS 136 underneath the hope crown race (split so you can quickly swap it over).
    Job done.
    Its a different part to the pics geetee show and you only add 2mm in height rather than the large amount in the pics.

RustyMac

Don’t suppose anyone has a pic of the HS136 part in action? I can’t get my head around how it works or why a larger pan crown race is not used like CK.

druidh
    Free Member

Rusty Mac. My interpretation is that the HS136 goes onto the steerer in place of a crown race and then the 1.5″ crown race fits on that. It’s certainly nowhere near as deep as that shown in geetee172’s photo.

The only increase in stack height is that caused by the wee lip at the bottom.

Both On One and Chris King involve a very wide crown race.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Its not that hard to get your head round. It just fills the gap between the straight steerer amd the tapered crown race. Adds a few mm stack but not much. I have a set of 150mm straight steerer forks with the Hope doodah and the normal crown race from my tapered headset on my bike at the mo.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So it looks like Hope have changed the way they achieve the reducer effect and all to the better.

RustyMac

Ok I see how it works now, still seems odd to me using two bits rather than one but hay ho. Will it not be a total PITA to get that adapter bit off if you want to change the forks as it doesn’t appear to be split like the crown races?

nealy
    Free Member

Here you go, £34 for headset and additional crown race for 1 1/8 steerer

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=539

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=478

Superstar headsets are good but in fairness they’re mostly all just aluminium cups to hold standard cartridge bearings.

james
    Free Member

(some) works components (angle adjusting) headsets do this too

at least a 44/49.6mm external lower cup will accept taper or straight steerer with a change of crown race

which reminds me, I ought to get round to buying one. My On-one smoother (will accept taper, I’ve a straight steerer crown race adapter) is getting a bit rough and the HA a little steep when things get hairy

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Ok I see how it works now, still seems odd to me using two bits rather than one but hay ho. Will it not be a total PITA to get that adapter bit off if you want to change the forks as it doesn’t appear to be split like the crown races?

Serious pain in the ass to get on and off in my experience. Doable but with worrying amounts of force required.

ska-49
    Free Member

I have it fitted here: http://www.pinkbike.com/u/lucky49/album/Canfield-yelli-screamy/

Not very good photos. Will try and grab some shortly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will it not be a total PITA to get that adapter bit off if you want to change the forks as it doesn’t appear to be split like the crown races?

Not really, no.

You’ll have a crown race on each fork if you’re swapping fairly regulary anyway I assume?

RustyMac

Wasn’t meaning swapping between forks you use as such, 2 crown races makes a lot of sense for that. I was getting at if you got some new 11/8 forks and wanted to change the 11/8 adapter.

nickdavies

Just ordered a superstar type 2 headset – £31 and comes with 1 1/8th top cup, 1 1/2 bottom cup and a crown race for each included. Not as sexy as a hope one but we shall see how it lasts as it’s a lot cheaper when you factor in £60 for the hope headset + 2 races.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘One headset, two steerers: tapered and standard – is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.