Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • One frozen finger!
  • FOG

I have always suffered from cold hands so have a collection of winter gloves that usually keep me reasonably warm. However for the last couple of weeks my index finger right hand has been going numb when the temperature drops. All the other digits have been fine, just that one. Same gloves, bikes etc as last winter so any theories about why one finger is suddenly cold whilst the others are warm?

submarined
    Free Member

Broken it previously?
    I get Reynauds, and the first finger to go is always the one that I had to have wired back together!
    Also is that the one you brake with? Contact with cold brake lever/directly in air flow?

heebyjeeby

Sounds like Reynaulds to me ….I have it  – I suffer from random digit freezing too

mickkeepriding
    Free Member

Yep, sounds like Reynaulds. Most of my digits go white to the mid-joint. Normally go bright red and tingle as the blood circulates after a while. They even go white when I walk through the chiller aisle in the Supermarket! Seems to be the sudden change in temperature that starts them off rather than just cold. Bit embarrassing wearing gloves most of the time and I certainly look “overgloved” when riding.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I crushed a finger under a tree whist moving it from a trail. I am now know and coldfinger as it turn to a painful iceblock. Done anything like that?

FOG

Not broken or damaged the finger and I try to avoid one finger braking. I am extremely ancient and haven’t experienced this before, can Reynauds start at any age and is there anything you can do about it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The only real question is whose garden to you want to hammer it into?

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I get cold fingers biking. I now wear ski gloves when it goes to zero on my commute.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m 39, It started out of the blue for me about 10 years ago.
    I just have to wear thick gloves when it gets even slightly cold, carry a hand warmer, windmill my arms a lot, keep my arms warm etc. Caffeine is supposed to be bad for it but doesn’t seem to change anything for me.
    It’s started getting worse randomly for me as well, couple of weeks ago one hand was swollen, covered in chill blains, and starting to blister as I was out on the child without gloves. Learnt my lesson.

easily
    Free Member

I find that ‘lobster’ style gloves help. This sort of thing, just in case you have no idea what I mean:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCRG/carnac-waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves

It means two finger braking, but the semi-mitten effect seems to work.

FB-ATB

Thought this was going to be another WCA thread.

redmex
    Free Member

I suffer from Raynaud’s but I think it’s bad circulation as I get it anytime of the year mostly Autumn, probably damp colder weather
    It’s not the worst pain but very uncomfortable, I go for a drive with the heater blasting then see the fingers gradually turn pink again and the nails looking normal again
    I’m sure I damaged the nerve years ago and the ulnar nerve seems to be pushed on especially on a road bike

bonzodog
    Free Member

Yep, sounds like Reynaulds. They even go white when I walk through the chiller aisle in the Supermarket!

Yes, I get that too!

The answer to your Reynaulds related issues is Nifedipine (from your GP). Been life changing for me since I was recommended trying it years ago. Nifedipine doesnt keep you warm. Your fingers still feel cold, but you wont lose the use of them.

In fact, Ive just gobbed one an hour and a half before I start work (outdoors/cold).

scandal42
    Free Member

I suffer with it badly. However this year it seems to be a lot better and I assume that is down to not leaving the house regularly.

Supermarket is the worst place, ridiculous how instantly it kicks in there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘One frozen finger!’ is closed to new replies.