Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for you Ooni wood-fired pizza oven fans
  • spacemonkey

New portable Ooni Karu taking bids now on Kickstarter.

Any takers?

Quite fancy a dabble myself but at £200-£300 I’m not sure if it’ll really get used in the wild. Silly question, but do people really proof their dough in the woods or down on the beach?

lister

I love my ooni (well, mine is an Uuni) but it’s a faff to cook anywhere except the back garden.

I can’t imagine trying to sort dough and toppings out on a beach without something getting very sandy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mines here in cornwall at the moment, our cottage is literally a 2 min walk from the shore but it’s not going down the beach as building the pizzas is enough drama with the kids in a big kitchen. It does come camping though, but all dough is done at home as you can easily leave it 72 hours before using. Gets many an envious look in the camping fields.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I love homemade pizza, but **** trying to make it on a beach.

karakurt
    Free Member

Good news, indeed. Thank you for sharing.
    I can see the improvements, that’s nice.
    Actually, this kind of oven is good not only for pizza.
    If you’re inventive enough you can cook the best meat or bake a potato in no time. And that’s the answer to the question of why does someone want to take a portable oven to a beach.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, cos there’s no other way to do that without an overpriced metal shoe box…..🤣

cr500dom
    Free Member

I thought I`d update this, as I saw the thread here and then backed it on Kickstarter.
    It finally arrived on Monday and I`m well impressed.
    Only cooked shop bought Pizza so far as I`ve not had time to get organised properly but first impressions are very good indeed.
    It certainly gets hot enough 450deg C ! and easy to light with charcoal and wood.
    Basic margherita for my lad took 60 seconds to cook which is pretty cool, looking forward to getting going properly with it when I have more time

juanking

Mmm, I’ve got an Uuni 3 and already cook my pizzas using wood, it’s far superior to using either gas or pellets.. Take a look on youtube there are quite a few vids on this but below gives you an idea.

tomd
    Free Member

I love my ooni (well, mine is an Uuni) but it’s a faff to cook anywhere except the back garden.
    I can’t imagine trying to sort dough and toppings out on a beach without something getting very sandy.

This x100

I’ve got one, it’s good fun but requires lots of worktop space and preparation to successfully churn out good pizzas.

I guess you could use it do grill fish, kebabs etc on the beach, that might work. But then so would a small open fire and a stick.

Drac

Oooh! Missed this the first time around.

sharkbait
    Free Member

it’s far superior to using either gas or pellets

Why?

I changed over to the gas burner and it’s way easier [than pellets] – no faffing around in between pizzas. I’m generally doing 5 or more at a time so gas is just much more convenient.

Did someone say beach pizza?

Although we cook in the beach hut rather than on the actual beach – yes, that could be tricky!!

Edit: Jesus that video is awful. The fire goes out so he has to relight it, it seems to take an age to heat up and then he starts cooking pizza at 270c because “he’s under pressure”.
    Sorry, but with a gas burner we’d have cooked and eaten 5 pizzas by the time he started cooking the first.
    Pellets would have been better.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I meant to say, I did get the gas burner attachment too but not had a chance to try that out yet.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I like the idea of wood as a fuel…. and I have a lot of it I could use…. but gas is just more user/time friendly and you get more consistent results over a batch of pizzas.

If I can be bothered removing the gas burner I might try burning lumps of wood, but I can’t be bothered with pellets any more as you need to be constantly aware of the amount of fuel left, etc.

But overall the Ooni (v3) is great and gets used year round as it’s currently in the barn. Couldn’t go back to shop bought pizza, that’s for sure.

sv

Have just got the Uuni burner for my 3 but haven’t tried it. Pellets are easy enough and you can buy an extended hopper to help with fuelling. The pizzas are fantastic, kids love the tomato sauce but clearing up flour/dough/ingredients afterwards not so much!

juanking

Granted that video isn’t the best but the principle (IME) works just fine. I dislike the pellets as the taste is quite acrid even when burning ‘optimally’. Using chunks of seasoned dried oak you can easily cook 3 pizzas from a single fire. I accept however you couldn’t do that at the beach..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for you Ooni wood-fired pizza oven fans’ is closed to new replies.