Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • One for the Webdesign/FTP experts…
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

It has to be something simple 😉

I'm no expert and I know I have committed the cardinal sin of using Frontage.

Anyway I have a page basically a table with info that I update, I FTP through frontage and it all works fine.

I have tried to set this up identical for a mate so he can take on the updating task.

I set up the ftp username password , frontpage connects fine to the remote server and he can see everything that i can see my end when i login.

He has the same copy of the table.htm file as i have, he changes/updates it, then it looks like it FTP's fine but when you go to the LIVE website and hit refresh it hasn't changed.

When i do it it works?

Any ideas? I have checked everything as far as i can see and the settings on both PC's are identical. I even got him to download the table.htm file from the LIVE server to his local frontpage and it still didnt update?

(and yes he is saving it locally before updating!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Has he emptied the cache on the browser (assuming he viewed the site before uploading a new file, it may have cached information).

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Hit Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page when viewing the site – it'll download a fresh copy and won't display what's cached.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I didn't know that tip – I will be telling many clients that one in the future 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You can paypal my 5% commision to the address in profile 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

toby1

If when you downlod the page (assuming this is download via ftp from the server not the browser) is the same then it's not caching that is the problem – is he definately uploading the newly edited file (settings in front-page somewhere maybe).

Maybe download a simple ftp app like LeechFTP and try using that?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all, yeah ive been using the F5 trick, handy that one.

the reason i want to use frontpage is its all built in, i'll check the settings again

woody2000

Is he using the same username & password as you?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Is he using the same username & password as you?

yes identical, i log out, he logs in fine but cant overwrite the file

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘One for the Webdesign/FTP experts…’ is closed to new replies.