Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Question for the watch peeps
  • thepurist

What would you replace a worn out Oyster bracelet on a Submariner with? I’ve seen Nato bands, posh rubber straps etc, wonder what other options there are.

catsplums
    Free Member

good rubber or original

wrightyson
    Free Member

Have a rubber on my planet ocean, loved the original croc but was next to useless unless wearing rarely.

CountZero

I’ve got one of these on my Seiko SPORK, and it’s really very comfortable.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-20-22-mm-Stainless-Steel-Shark-Watch-Mesh-Band-Diving-Replacement-Bracelets-/271179914554

And one of these on my old Yema:
    http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p20476h330s337-Watch-strap-Drayton-.html

Again, very comfy, and the deployment clasp is so much better than a buckle, which eventually will tear the leather.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d just stick another oyster back on there. Sports rolex just don’t look as good with anything else.

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

I’ve got one of these on my Seiko SPORK, and it’s really very comfortable.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-20-22-mm-Stainless-Steel-Shark-Watch-Mesh-Band-Diving-Replacement-Bracelets-/271179914554

I wanted Shark Mesh watch strap a while back but couldn’t fine any so had to stick with some cheapo stuff.

Did you buy yours from that website?

I need one for my £50 Citizen Eco drive military watch.

rogg
    Free Member

Rubber B?
    Not too badly priced in comparison with an original.

Or for a hell of a lot less, a Watchadoo. Great quality, they weigh a ton though. Had one on my Orange Monster for nearly 7 years now.

thepurist

Thanks rogg – I’d seen the Rubber B & Everest band, wondered if there were any other options out there.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

31trum strap, handmade to order by a bloke in London. £40-60.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

NATOs look good on Rolex, I get mine from watchworx – cheap enough to buy a bunch of colours. OEM Oyster bracelets are expensive for what they are in my opinion, I would look at the generic clone ones on ebay and the like for under £50.

Woody
    Free Member

Depends if you get it wet!

Toshi does some very nice straps to compliment a watch like that.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Toshi does some very nice straps to compliment a watch like that.

Seconding this, I have some lovely Toshi straps on my Pams, reasonably priced compared to some too!

davidrussell
    Free Member

Those toshi straps look lovely and great value too.

CountZero

Hi, chewkw, yes, the one on my Seiko in the photo is exactly what’s from that eBay site, I bookmarked the site some time before I actually bought the bracelet. They’re fairly stiff laterally, but after a bit of wear they loosen up quite a bit and become pretty flexible. I’m really chuffed with it for the price, and it looks great on the watch.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

NATOs look good on Rolex

Hear, hear

A civvy Milsub.

jamj1974

Original is best I think.

CountZero

jamj1974 – Member
    Original is best I think.

Sure, if you can afford it. Have you looked at the price of original bracelets for top makes? A Breigtling mesh bracelet, similar to mine, will set you back £600!
    A leather Longines strap will cost a hell of a lot more than one of those lovely 31trum straps, and frankly difficult to justify.

DT78
    Free Member

I always like an aftermarket strap, makes your watch unique

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a Timefactors NATO on one of my watches. I like it. Lots.

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Hi, chewkw, yes, the one on my Seiko in the photo is exactly what’s from that eBay site, I bookmarked the site some time before I actually bought the bracelet. They’re fairly stiff laterally, but after a bit of wear they loosen up quite a bit and become pretty flexible. I’m really chuffed with it for the price, and it looks great on the watch.

Are they proper stainless steel? Weighty? I like them with a bit of weight. i.e. not like the cheapo stainless steel I bought.

🙂

CountZero

Not the best photo, chewkw, but it gives a good idea, it’s woven stainless wire, and it’s around 5mm thick:

It’s a lot lighter than the original Seiko bracelet, but that weighs about the same as the watch! Because there’s a lot of space, being woven, it’s probably a bit lighter than it looks, but because it’s slightly flexible laterally, it’s more comfortable than a stainless link bracelet.

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Not the best photo, chewkw, but it gives a good idea, it’s woven stainless wire, and it’s around 5mm thick:

😯 ooohhhH … that’s beautifulll … now I really want one.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Rolex oyster bracelets are expensive, although they are pretty good quality these days I think, unlike the older ones.
    NATO straps suit a sub well, are comfortable, cheap, robust…. What’s not to like? Or track down a good after market copy of the original oyster.

boblo
    Free Member

For the love of God, do the right thing and replace it with an original Oyster. Philistines 🙂

CountZero

ooohhhH … that’s beautifulll … now I really want one.

😀
    I must admit, I took a bit of a chance on it, but I figured that it wasn’t much money to lose, so took a chance. Glad I did, I’m really pleased with it, and it sets the watch off really well.

ElShalimo

CountZero – Member

That YEMA watch is lovely. Can you still buy them?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Just had a thought, if you go for an after market bracelet ones with polished central links (like the GMT oyster)llook great initially but site the scratches. Brushed keeps its looks.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 For Toshi straps. I have one which is lovely, very nice guy and great service.

Expensive, but a classic diver strap, an Isofrane?

jp-t853

Nato’s look good on a sub you could get the bond stripes.

If you want to go with leather I would strongly advise having a look at James Hyman’s straps which are great value at £50. You can choose from any combination of style colour & thread on the page.

DB10 Link

Just noticed hat one was an SD but you get the idea

Woody
    Free Member

Chewkw
    I also bought one very similar to countzeros (from Canada iirc on EBay), it’s on my Seiko Monster and looks and feels great.

CountZero

ElShalimo – Member

That YEMA watch is lovely. Can you still buy them?
    Yes, sort of. Mine’s an original mechanical movement model, from around 1972/3, it’s actually French, and the movement was also used by Raymond Weil and Breitling, if the info I’ve seen is correct. In the 80’s they got taken over by Seiko, who they had some sort of deal with, after the original owner died, and his heir couldn’t be arsed with the company. The watches became just flashy fashion watches, then around 2003 the company was bought back and became independent again, but got into difficulties in 2008, and became part of the Swatch group. They still do a version of the Rallygraf, very similar to mine, but it uses a Citizen movement nowadays. Not cheap, they’re around €350-400, as far as I know, but if you’re looking for something a bit different in a chronograph, worth checking out.
    I hadn’t worn mine for donkey’s years, it had an issue that someone said they’d fixed, but it didn’t seem to be right, the chrono buttons didn’t seem to function quite right, and I bought other watches. I gave it to someone to look at, and they quoted me £260 to service it!
    Then I took it into a branch of Christopher David in town, and they gave it to a tame watch-maker in Swindon they use, who quoted £140, I said yes, and he had it sorted in two days. Works really nicely, keeps pretty good time, plus/minus about a minute every couple of weeks.
    Might be worth hunting around the ‘net if you’re interested, you might pick up an original in good nick, especially if you speak or understand French! 😀

ElShalimo

CZ – thanks
    I think I’ll do some further surfing

bowie278
    Free Member

Purist, get another Oyster bracelet stuck on it. Stunning watches are the Subs!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Question for the watch peeps’ is closed to new replies.