• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ben.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • One for the runners… Which Garmin / Running watch?
  • ben
    Free Member

My sister has recently got back into running and with her birthday coming up I thought a Garmin would be a good gift… However, I’m no runner so not sure which model to go for, nor whether Garmin are still the brand to go for?

She’s just completed her 1st marathon and run regularly, but isn’t massively competitive or into lots of technical training. Don’t think she needs lots of bells and whistles when it comes to functionality. Budget around £150? Any suggestions?

Current favourite from browsing around is the Garmin Forerunner 35..

surfer
    Free Member

Garmins are good I have had a couple of the original (huge!) ones but always good quality. I have a Suunto Ambit now but that is more expensive. TomTom seem good and they are a bit cheaper. Mate has one of them and he is a competitive runner so I suspect it has all you need.

IMO I wouldnt pay extra for a HRM. I’ve commented on here before and nothing I have read has changed my mind they are largely superfluouse.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

From your description her phone probably gives her all she needs… basic recording ?

So how about a voucher for new trainers/kit … N+1 defo applies to trainers

She be able to get herself a lovely new pair with 150 notes and a fair bit left for anything else that takes her fancy

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve used Garmin watches for a while now whilst running. I struggled to get back into running but used the Garmin Connect website to get a training plan that downloads onto most of their watches and it really motivated me. First to run 5k’s then 10k’s and currently half marathons. The training programs build endurance and speed. The data that is captured is invaluable to seeing progress from overall speeds and distances to favourite route where you have given it your all only to get a slower time than expected as you can compare runs to see where you lost time or over did it.
    My wife is exactly the same checking her runs details when she has finished and while not competitive she still wants to know that she is making progress.
    The HRM part of the watches I find useful to gauge my effort and use it as a throttle knowing if my heart rate is too high I need to dial it back a bit or too loo and need to up the pace. Again useful tool to see how your getting fitter by seeing your average heart decrease over time.
    After wearing my way through plenty of trainers I just see them as disposable items. I always buy the same brand and models but only when they are getting reduced for clearance as they normally silly money for something that last less than a year. The N+1 doesn’t work for me on these items.
    You may be wise to ask what she would like and score maximum brownie points.

thecaptain
    Free Member

<mode=”recommend mine>If you can spring for a 230 or 235 they are very good – the bluetooth smart watch aspects are genuinely useful (to me).</mode>

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you can spring for a 230 or 235 they are very good – the bluetooth smart watch aspects are genuinely useful

My uses the Garmin 235 after previously having a 220 and loves it. Uses for running outdoors and on the treadmill too.

Stainypants

I use tom tom runner 2. I have the cardio + music which you can get for about £130. You can get various configurations. I am not convinced about the HRM to be honest but the tracking is spot on. it also good for tracking swimming and measures steps.

legspin
    Free Member

In a true recommend what you have style, I have had a garmin 35 for about 6 months now and I can’t fault it.

Flaperon

Forerunner 225.

lunge

I’ve got a Forerunner 35 and like it a lot. I don’t use the training programmes, it’s mainly used for logging runs on Strava without having to carry a phone and monitoring my pace and heart rate. Only problem I have with it is that it’s sometimes slow to pick up a GPS signal, it’s fine in the open but in the city it’s sometimes takes a while.

ben
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, appreciated 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘One for the runners… Which Garmin / Running watch?’ is closed to new replies.