Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • One for the photographers…
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

so it’s 120 lumens/M2 then?
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, yeah, sure 🙂

IA

You can rent the hw/sw to calibrate your monitor (as best you can given it’s probably a cheap one).

molgrips
    Free Member

How much for a pre-calibrated one?

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway – HTTP404 – how d’you get on with that pancake? I quite want one.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I got one of the Spyder monitor calibrators. I have 2 identical monitors. I calibrated both and they rendered quite differently. I tried it again with a different pair of identical monitors, and again, they looked different. Bear in mind I have poor colour vision, so the differences must have been marked. Support were unhelpful so it went back to Amazon.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How much for a pre-calibrated one?

it drifts with time and needs to be checked regularly…

HTTP404
    Free Member

molgrips – The pancake lens (25mm) is ok. it’s not upto the same standard (sharpness/contrast) as other lens in the zuiko range. And not all what I recall a standard lens should be – in the old days of 50mm std lens.
    The reviews I’ve seen mention problems with chromatic aberration.

It’s a handy lens. If you can get it cheap – then maybe. I got it for £125 in HKg.

I’ve played with old lens as well – which seems to be one of the strong points of this system as there is a wealth of old glass out there to collect. I have managed to collect Zuikos, Vivitars, Helios, Industar pancake.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mm yeah I read that, the pancake is designed for smallness not image quality. I saw a second hand one for £100 in Cardiff but it had a whacking great lump of gunk in the middle of the lens just under the first element. Probably not going to affect the image, but it affected me.

I only want one lens for each niche. So I’ve got the standard kit, the 40-150 and the 70-300 (I’d not have got the 40-150 but it was £99 and I thought it would be plenty of zoom for wildlife.. may sell it not sure, having bought the 70-300 later), then the 35mm macro. I fancied the pancake for nice portable camera carrying but I’m just not sure if it’s worth it. Especially as I have an E600 not a 420 so that’s bigger to begin with. If it were faster then that would also be a draw but it’s only maybe a stop or a stop and a half better than the kit lens.

Only other thing now is the 9-18mm wide angle 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I only want one lens for each niche.

by “niche” do you mean “range of focal lengths” ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, one for each job. So one for zoom, one for general, one for macro, one for wide angle etc. If there was one lens that did it all I’d have that. Only thing I can see missing from the Oly line up is a really fast good quality prime for low light.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘One for the photographers…’ is closed to new replies.