One for the motorcyclists. I've got a "new" Ducati

Home Forum Chat Forum One for the motorcyclists. I've got a "new" Ducati

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • One for the motorcyclists. I've got a "new" Ducati
  • rogerthecat

That’s lovely, think I’d go for a red tank though.

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

Nah, leave it white. Looks like it has a red stripe down the centre anyway… and EVERYONE has a red Ducati.

Love the Monsters myself, but they tend to be a bit small for me so I am trying to persuade the other half to get one ๐Ÿ˜‰ Probably the 600 as a starter mind! Just waiting to see what the new big beast is going to be like though, and if it has grown a wee bit!

Pigface

Lovely but what’s up with the wheels? Ride safe.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

oooh, that’s different. Keep it white. Looks good! How are you coping with a dry clutch?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

The wheels are the old style from things like the monster dark, single side disk. Do the job OK…

Ugly though

Great little bikes…everyone who’s into bikes should own at least 1 Ducati in their life.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

I very, very nearly bought the Diaval last time around… but decided on the Guzzi instead.

If that were my bike I would be damn tempted to switch the wheels out for some of the modern tubeless spoked jobbies as it would look deeply class!

stumpy01

Nice. A mate of mine bought a brand new Ducati Monster 750 while still a sponging student, back in around ’98. It was a 750 in silver and was a pretty amazing bike. He’s still got it, I think.

Premier Icon ben
    Subscriber

White does make sense I think.

No dry clutch, the 400s came with a wet clutch.

Wheels will certainly be next on the upgrade list. However it needs some more pressing stuff doing first (like getting it road legal again and sorting the mess of the loom out ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Thanks all

Premier Icon ben
    Subscriber

Just got my next licence (I’m not in the UK) that allows me to ride bikes up to 400cc.

Found this and thought I’d share with you all:

It’s a 15 year old Monster 400. Mechanically decent (it’s just had an engine rebuild) but in need of some cosmetic TLC.

My 1st world problem of the day:

Do I keep the tank pearl white or respray black?

boblo

That’s the bollox for tearing along the PIE ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon ben
    Subscriber

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Can leh

Boba Fatt

15 years old? the only part that dates the bike is the wheels

Lovely find

konabunny

Beautiful.

Other people might think this is a bit Barry Boyz, but I’d get some of that red half inch scotchlite reflective tape and run it along the frame – near invisible during the day and a decent bit of side-on visibility at night.

cheez0

Leave it like it is

Ride it like you stole it.

Maybe add an interesting sig..like this..

Cheers

Dookatti B

Premier Icon mugsys_m8
    Subscriber

Ben,

I agree with Cheez0.

Cheers

Dan H

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Wheels make it look like a Bros. Lovely though! I like the way the mudguard/number plate is longer than the entire bike too.

brakes

it looks like a Lego Technic motorbike.
    I want one.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Northwind – Member
    Wheels make it look like a Bros. Lovely though! I like the way the mudguard/number plate is longer than the entire bike too

Law states it has to go past the furthest point of the tyre for MOT purposes.

Rockhopper

Watch out for the tank leaking from around the hinge at the rear, weeping fork seals and seized rear brake callipers. Also if you drop if the forks will put a dint into the tank!
    When riding it the lack of steering lock might catch you out.

Someone once said that the quickest way to do a U turn on a Monster was to park up at the side of the road, wait for another Monster to come along from the opposite direction then swap bikes!!

Popular mods would be going down one tooth on the front sprocket and if you are feeling flush a twin disk conversion on the front. Also many owners cut down the tea tray at the rear as its rather huge as standard. A longer front mudguard stops spray soaking the front cylinder and making it cut out.

Rockhopper

Weeksy, true for Construction and Use regulations, not true for the MOT.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Rockhopper – Member
    Weeksy, true for Construction and Use regulations, not true for the MOT

thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ always prepared to be educated.

paver456

save your cash for the next rebuild !! its a duke bud good luck

boblo

Bloke’s in Singapore so UK regs not really relevant….

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

paver456 – Member
    save your cash for the next rebuild !! its a duke bud good luck

Couldn’t be a more ‘basic’ version of a Ducati if it tried. There’ll be no ยฃ1000 horror rocker/camshaft issues with that Monster, any fairly decent home mechanic can service an old Ducati and change the belts etc.

Premier Icon ben
    Subscriber

Cheers for all the replies and tips. Decision made; it’s staying white.

I’ll post a couple more pics up once it’s had its fresh coat of paint. On the look out for some more modern wheels also.

hora

Spray it red

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

White but add in a green trim. Love ducatis in the red, white and green livery.

wrightyson

Wheelie machine…..

PeterPoddy

Wheelie machine…..

Errr no. Not the 400. Even the 600/620/695/696 bikes aren’t wheelie machines.
    The 400 was only made for certain markets and is a rare beastie indeed. I don’t know about the regs in Singapore but I believe the main market for them was Japan.

Premier Icon ben
    Subscriber

There are only 14 left on the road in SG.

Got the transfer of ownership through from the LTA today (the equivalent of the logbook) and it started life as a yellow monster.

It has the red stripe down the tank, which will be re-instated post respray.

It will be keeping both of its (aged) wheels firmly on the ground. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Leave it original, that’s a little beauty. Still tempted to change from my ZX6R for a Monster.

Mugboo

Carbon look ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘One for the motorcyclists. I've got a "new" Ducati’ is closed to new replies.