Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • One for the knifists
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m after a sharpener tool for kitchen knives and multi tool blades. Tossup between a Lanskey or Spyderco Sharpmaker. Seem to be much of a muchness. Anything else out there to consider? Can’t really afford multiple whetstones etc

JoeG
    Free Member

My Lansky is great for folding knives, etc, One of these is so much easier and faster for kitchen knives:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/chef-39-schoice-reg-diamond-ultrahone-knife-sharpener/1015804122?categoryId=12072

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

3 whetstones with 6 grit types will leave you with about £20 change from the machine linked to above.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do they do Japanese knives too?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But then it won’t do western knives.

I used those minosharps for my global before it broke, I found the rollers needed replacing often as they would separate and break

tinybits
    Free Member

I used the mino sharp one, and put the same edge on all my knives. Seems to work fine for small multi tool ones as well as large kitchen knives.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But you put 17degree angle on your. Multitool?

tinybits
    Free Member

yes- doesn’t seem to present any problems. Still cuts!

kiwijohn

They work well on a Leatherman.

thejesmonddingo

Charliemungus,did you read the instructions on the Minosharp? If so,how did you manage to break the wheels?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I had a mino sharp but I didn’t find it any good for multi-tool blades – some are quite thick and made drawing through the sharpener difficult.

Our mino sharp got lost when we moved from UK. Great for kitchen knives. Pants for folders.

daftvader
    Free Member

My minosharp also broke… now I use a 1000g and 6000g wet stone and a ceramic steel….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Charliemungus,did you read the instructions on the Minosharp? If so,how did you manage to break the wheels?

yes, i did, i also watched an online tutorial and went to a class at the local college as well as attending a webinar

tinybits
    Free Member

for what it’s worth, the 3 wheel mino sharp has larger cutouts for thicker blades than the 2 wheel. I’ve just realised that this means my first one also broke (the plastic ‘cup’ that the wheel sits in) so I got the larger one….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah that’s interesting to know. How well does it work on say, a Leatherman type tool?

kiwijohn

For my leatherman, I take the clear plastic guide off. Works a treat.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Found a MinoSharp 3 on gumtree for a tenner. Sold!!!

will be sharpening up me knives and no doubt looking for a plaster later on this evening!

colournoise

I’m a cheapskate, so I use the IKEA version of the Mino. Seems to work fine for all my knives, kitchen or otherwise.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/knives-chopping-boards/sk%C3%A4rande-knife-sharpener-black-art-50289169/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘One for the knifists’ is closed to new replies.