One for The frustrated engineers….

Home Forum Chat Forum One for The frustrated engineers….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • One for The frustrated engineers….
  • JEngledow

This has got to be the most STW of all:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ljC1rh-FGl4[/video]

samuri

Why aren’t Stirling engines used in real life applications?

maxtorque

There are!, Lots of space craft run with solar powered linear stirlings as power generators, and large scale industrial heat exchange and low level heat removal processes use them.

However, there are a lot of quite well tied up Patents surrounding the more practical embodiments of Stirling engines, that i suspect has prevented more wide spread take up. Currently, several versions are under development to provide domestic combined heat and power for private houses etc

Premier Icon stavromuller
    Subscriber

I recall a tv program that mentioned stirling engined generators being used in WW2 due to being virtually silent, with a low heat signature and multifuel. Patents aren’t always a “good thing”.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Size, weight and cost issues for larger scale use I think – it depends on what the tradeoff is between those and ultimate efficiency (though worth bearing in mind that practical applications don’t usually get anywhere near theoretical efficiencies). Clearly in the 21st century efficiency is seen as becoming more important for many applications, hence expect to see more of a revival.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘One for The frustrated engineers….’ is closed to new replies.