Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • One for the DIY iPhone screen replacers
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I know there are a couple of you out there. Need a new screen for my X and looks easy enough so might give it a go myself. The question is where is the best place to buy the screen assemblies that are equal to or as close as possible to Apple OEM kit?

Ta.

cakeandcheese

I’ve done my iPad screen with an ifixit kit. Took my time on the repair, actually enjoyed the process, and now you wouldn’t know any difference from new.

v8ninety

I’ve had good experiences with ifixit.com (co.uk? Not sure) was a while ago mind, but I still get the odd email from them so they must still be a going concern. Seemed good quality 👍🏼

fossy

Many screens are bonded with a UV glue. You may need to borrow one of those UV light boxes ladies use for their gel nail polish.

Sandwich

iFixit for spares as they seem to have quality parts. Some of the e-bay/Amazon stuff is a bit dodgy and doesn’t fit too well. I’ve not attempted a bonded screen yet, everything up to a 5S phone has gone well so far.

While you’re in there you may want to do the battery too unless you’re planning on replacing it soon.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

thanks. I’ve see fixit so will go for that if others have used them and had no issues.

For the X you use heat rather than UV for the glue, in the vids I’ve seen they set the phone on a hot plate for a minute or so to soften the glue and use a suction cup to pull on the glass to create a small gap between the bending glass and phone chassis and get a thin plastic prizing tool and start separating the screen from the softened glue around the edges..a guitar plectrum works a treat apparently. I’ve no hot plate but I’ll pre-heat the wife’s Le Cruset in the oven and put the phone on the upturned bottom which should be able to hold the required heat Long enough to soften the glue. The rest is just unscrewing connectors so a case of being organised and meticulous.

the phone is just over a year old so not sure the battery needs replacing right now, but if they’re cheap enough I might as well while I’m in there.

seadog101

I used iFixit for a battery replacement kit for an iphone 5s.
    I will admit that the job wasn’t quite as the videos make out.
    Phone now in use as a satnav/bike gps. Battery brilliant.

Will use them again, so I guess the screens must be equally good.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘One for the DIY iPhone screen replacers’ is closed to new replies.