Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • one for the commuters – brake pads
  • rp16v
    Free Member

have my road bike in the stand atm and spotted that one of my rear pads is just poped under the wear limit line iv only had them on for about 3 weeks or so all weathers about 25 miles 5 days a week, i understand that the conditions latley will not help things but damb thats quick
    fronts seem to have loads left on them.
    how often do u guys need to change your brake pads?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Better you replace pads than wear your rims away!

D0NK

Depends on how much standing water and grit/grime there was and of course how much braking involved, but rear pads lasting 3 weeks in shitty weather doesn’t sound too bad. When I tried some offroad commuting I was getting through em a lot faster than that. I used mini Vs, clarkes do/did 2 pairs for about £6-7.

I’d carry spares and use them til I heard metal on metal then try not to use that brake and change at work/home 🙂

hypnotoad
    Free Member

roller brake on rear so no pads to change.

front pads are around 3 years old now and still going strong, but rarely use the front brake.

JAG

I’ve done about 2 years at 1000 miles per year and just changed my rear pads on my rim brakes.

jonba
    Free Member

On my commute it would normally be every few weeks through winter until I moved to discs. I’d change them about March and they would be fine to october.

On my road bike I’m on my 4th set of pads in 5 years but it mainly get’s ridden in dry weather. One of those 4 sets of pads lasted one wet race. I wouldn’t recommend BBB pads if you ride in the wet – I got 3 hours out of a set.

They are relatively cheap so get the cartridge ones and replace often.

rp16v
    Free Member

This is my first proper winter of commuting so guess its just a suprise as for rims ther fairly new as had to take them off my cross bike(blew up a mavic freehub thats discontinued) im using giant triple compounds there prety cheap
    And the single pad wear is confusing me the pads are set up spot on and the brake is pulling/balanced correct really odd unless one is pulling more pressue than the other

Suggsey
    Free Member

Use your front brake more! It’s like cars and motorbikes….majority of efficient braking is done with the front wheel!

mtbel
    Free Member

’bout 10000miles.

Why are you braking so much?

large418
    Free Member

They only wear out because you keep using them. Anticipate more and brake less. Momentum is your friend. 5000+ miles all year round for a set of pads here.

rp16v
    Free Member

I see whare your coming from it is something im working on trusting the bike more in corners and using flow of the road the same as u do on trails,
    My rout has allot of start stop moments within lots of traffic at higher speeds and twisty lanes i sometimes get lucky and catch greens most of the way eg way less braking but thats a lucky day lol

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘one for the commuters – brake pads’ is closed to new replies.