Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • One for the Cairngorms experts – help needed please!
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hi folks

One for the hive mind.

Has anyone walked or ridden the path that climbs up from behind Ruigh Etchecan Bothy in Glen Feshie up on Creag Na Ghaibre and Lochan Nam Bo just south of Carn Ban Mor?

It is on the map, I’ve seen where it starts but have never ridden it. Any help, advice, pictures Etchecan would be very much appreciated.

Also, has anyone walked or ridden the path from Cairn Toul down to Corrour Bothy? I want to ride the 4000 footers but this section is the unknown part to me.

Again, any help / advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers

Sanny

scotroutes

Cairn Toul to Corrour would be the standard baggers path? I walked it many moons ago but didn’t have my biking head on. Steep and very loose is my faint memory.

As for the track behind Aitchechean, it doesn’t appear much in any walk reports so I’d be surprised if it’s not faded into disuse.
    Nothing on Geograph?

Sanny
    Free Member

Nothing I could find Colin.

I believe that the Corrour path has been upgraded. One of my mates walked it last year and reckoned it would be rideable but I am looking for confirmation or images of it.

Cheers

Sanny

warrend
    Free Member

I’m planning on heading up to Feshie next weekend and so might venture up that way to have a look. I’ll try and remember to report back here once I’ve been.

From what I can see on Geograph the path was pretty overgrown in 2010! It may not be there any more now!

Mat

sent you some pics

GavinB

I ran down from Cairn Toul to Corrour bothy a couple of summers back. From memory, the top 2-300m or so of elevation was really rough to descend – lots of hopping between large, shattered granite blocks. As you get lower, the terrain becomes faster/easier but still rough. The section down from between the Devils Point and Cairn Toul would be top-end tech in places. It’s a step path, with quite a few built/repaired sections but really rough in places.

As I say, it’s two summers since I was up there, so happy to be challenged on this by someone with more recent knowledge. FWIW, I’d probably give it a go!

Sanny
    Free Member

Sweet!

I will be on the fat bike. This is really helpful.

Keep the info coming!

Sanny

chickenman

I rode the path down from the col below Devil’s point in April (riding from the summit would be fine, Cairn Toul a waste of time. Thought the descent really worthwhile but my endos weren’t up to it on the mega steep zigzags at the top, so couldn’t manage the corners!

Sanny
    Free Member

Cairo Toul is a necessary evil for the route so I can thole it.

That sounds promising for the Corrour descent. I like my silly eurohop turns so that could be daft fun. 😀

Chicken man

What was the route you did?

Cheers and thanks.

Sanny

Ps Thanks for the pics Mat!

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Top of devils point to corrour is all a goer.

Top of Cairn toul down to the col is problematic. Can ride bits of it but some is too rocky.

We did it the other way from linn of dee and did all four along to Braeriach and then back over lairig ghru (wouldn’t repeat, would go back and ride down to corrour as you plan to)

Spin
    Free Member

The path down from the Bealach between Cain Toul and The Devil’s Point to Corrour is definitely rideable. In fact it’s probably mostly rideable from the 1213m spot height.

Sanny
    Free Member

Cheers Spin.

I knew that you would have the knowledge!

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden it but I ran up it about a month ago. Might be the odd wee bit that doesn’t go but it looked mostly rideable. Maybe not the best bit of trail ever though.

If you’re talking about doing the Cairngorm 4000ers then that’s definitely the right direction. Massive carry up onto Macdui though.

Spin
    Free Member

The best way onto Macdui is probably by the Tailor’s Burn. A vague path leaves the Lairig Ghru path south of the burn, contours up to it then follows its east side before largely petering out.

Sanny
    Free Member

Is Tailors Burn the one that connects with the end of the Carn a Mhaim ridge? If so, I have done the top section.

I was thinking of going up via Sron Riach as I have only ever done that in winter and fancy giving it a bash again.

It’s a two big carry day for sure!

Spin
    Free Member

It’s the Allt Clach nan Taillear on the map. Pretty tough going, don’t know about Sron Riach but it can’t be worse!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve done Sron riach with captain Mainwaring, it’s not a bad yin tbh, enjoy.

Sanny
    Free Member

What about the Cnap Coire Na Spreidh descent to near Locan Uaine? According to Jeremy Ashcroft, it is vague but is still there. Others say not! Any recent experiences of it?

Cheers

Spin
    Free Member

You can ride a fair way down that ridge but I don’t think you’d get all the way down to the green lochan without bush whacking.

Sanny
    Free Member

Suspected as much. I will give it a go if only to see for myself. 😀

According to Dave in Bothy, the Lochan Nam Bo path gets very vague for a section. It might be one to explore with a petrol strimmer! 😆

So it looks like I have a route.

Last question. Has anyone ridden from Carn Ban Mor over to Braeriach via Moine Mhor?

Spin
    Free Member

You know what Moine Mhor means right? 😉

scotroutes

I’ve walked it.

No way would I consider taking a bike.

Sanny
    Free Member

So I did it. A tough day out. Spin was spot on re the Corrour descent although I did get off at a couple of points as the combination of being a long way from rescue and having my solo sensible head on without phone coverage meant I erred on caution.

Sron Riach is a fair old carry with over 8 hours of riding and carrying in your legs!

It was a great day out but not one for the uncommitted! I suspect taking a 40 odd pound fat bike made things a little harder than they could have been.

Next time, clockwise without Cairn Toul summit.

Warrend

Did you get up and check out the Feshie descent?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘One for the Cairngorms experts – help needed please!’ is closed to new replies.