Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • One for the Bike frame Painterists
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

I have just painted a Cove Stifee frame and its ready for Laquer and graphics, I’m just wondering how to laquer over the stickers without it running and spoiling the paint job.

Is it best to warm up the frame a bit first? Or do i just give it a brief dust coat, first followed by a good glossy coat and finish, any advice greatly appreciated ,or would it be better to put the stickers on the outside once the covering is dry?

emanuel
    Free Member

with vinyl stickers it’s hard to coat properly, they’re too thick.
    so you either risk having the clear running or undercovering.

you can print out the stickers as water slides on a home printer, then apply, then clear coat.
    or do a masking job and paint them on.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I laquered over mine on my Giant, managed to get a decent finish and never really had any probs with running or heavy build up, but due to the thickness of the vinyl it still gives a pretty obvious ridge on the edges.
    Take your time, light coats allowing to dry well in between and finish with a slightly thicker/slower final few passes to enhance the gloss finish. Its all about the patience to build up the coats.

Northwind

I put the stickers on top, from choice- doesn’t look as “factory” but provides protection for the paint.

bigyim
    Free Member

Presuming you’re using rattle cans. First I’d make sure you give them a damn good shake before you use them. Agree with building it up slowly with the coats. Don’t try and get a mirror finish. You can always give it a few coats let it dry , gently sand with p2000 wet and dry. This will take out a bit of the orange peel and help with the final finish coat

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks folks, Im gonna give it a go this morning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘One for the Bike frame Painterists’ is closed to new replies.