One finger – but which one

Home Forum Bike Forum One finger – but which one

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • One finger – but which one
  • bigyinn

I suppose the logic being that you use your thumb and index finger to grip the bars and use the weaker middle finger to shift.

Sounds like BS to me…..

sbob

For pulling a MTB brake lever, the middle finger would normally be the strongest.

mjsmke

If your brakes are set up correctly you shouldn’t need the strength of a middle finger to stop.

rogerthecat

Does his girlfriend/wife/partner have a huge smile most of the time, if so there’s your answer? 😀

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

For pulling a MTB brake lever, the middle finger would normally be the strongest.

Probably true, but any decent MTB brake these days is so powerful that seems irrelevant! I tend to use my index finger FWIW.

re: the road bike, I’ve always used the middle finger to change gear. Just seemed natural (on the hoods).

soobalias

index finger
    my grips are quite big and my brakes pull close to the bar, if i use my middle finger i get close to squishing my index finger

Junkyard

index on the brake – i can use middle but it just feels awkward and it is not like you are gripping the bars like you are hanging off a building

Middle on the hoods of the road bike

well played rogerthecat

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Don’t think it matters, I can’t remember which way round it is but I brake with index finger on one brake and middle on the other, only really noticed when I saw pics of myself riding.

edit just checked, front brake middle, rear brake index 😕

JonEdwards

Index.

What happens if you get brake fade or just sudden bad pad wear? If you use your middle finger, you’re running the risk of trapping your index finger against the bars when you need to pull the lever harder. Then you’ve got to let go of the brake, get your index finger out, then try and slow down again…

Euro

When i rode bikes with engines, i forced myself to brake with the middle finger because it gave me a bit more throttle control. On bicycles i just use the index finger as you don’t have to worry about a throttle and more importantly, it feels more natural.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I must need my brakes checking as there feels a major difference between my index and middle finger. When it gets fast and rough I definitely switch to my middle finger. The index one alone is for light braking only!

wordnumb

Discussions of one-finger braking often neglect to clarify a small but essential point: it’s one finger per hand, not just one finger to cover both brakes.

Tom B

As a few other:

Index finger on MTB brake, middle to shift on a road bike. Ergonomics innit

teasel

Middle finger. I think I developed the technique when using a Nexave ‘Rapid Rise’ mech back in 2004/5; it allowed me to change down and brake at the same time. Useful when you encounter a few traffic lights on your commute.

Edit : It stuck and I now continually cover the brake with my middle finger BTW, though I use a flatbar set-up on and off-road.

teasel

it’s one finger per hand, not just one finger to cover both brakes.

🙂

Kingkongsfinger to the thread, please…

eyerideit

My friend uses his middle finger to brake on his MB and to change gear his road bike.

His says it’s safer and loads of pros do it.

I use my index finger for both these tasks.

Is middle finger shifting/braking common? Do you do it? What’s the logic?

shifter

Middle for braking, index & thumb for shifting. Ergonomic it is.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

If it’s good enough for Mr Lopes…

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

Index finger on the mtb, whatever’s closest on the road bike.

teasel

Or maybe you prefer Lazer’s style…

🙂

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Middle finger. I think I developed the technique when using a Nexave ‘Rapid Rise’ mech back in 2004/5; it allowed me to change down and brake at the same time.

I use RR and quite often find myself using my thumb to downshift* while braking, not sure why as my index finger is sat there doing nothing.

*push your thumb forward and flick the trigger back with your nail, not that you need to do this with current xt swingsbothways technology or whatever it’s called.

theprawn

unless you’re using at least 3 fingers to brake and both your arse cheeks you haven’t left it late enough.

index finger otherwise.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘One finger – but which one’ is closed to new replies.