Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • One day, 110 miles and a lot of flapjack!
  • ellienadin
    Free Member

oops, try again…

About to head out on another ride tonight (even though it is far too hot!) and I thought you might like to see me on the Wrekin from back in March- there was still snow all over it when we rode it! I’m squinting a bit because Dad decided it would be a good idea to take it so I was staring into the sun. Anyway, I’ve been keeping the rides up, done several more 30 milers and just focusing on keeping my head down and legs Again thanks for the support guys! 😀

BLTOkmCCEAAMeMR by ellie.nadin, on Flickr

ellienadin
    Free Member

Oops, sorry, forgot that it was rotated, and cant seem to undo that on flickr, anyone know how? Here’s me nightriding last winter with Dad anyway instead. Prize if you can guess the exact location.

DSCN5148 by ellie.nadin, on Flickr

Drillski
    Free Member

hmm, all this training is great, but you’re putting in more miles than me ( Dad!) and now i’m looking at replacing your suspension bearings and bushes……hmmmmm. I guess its my turn to be the support team now, hehehe!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ellienadin
    Free Member

We made a youtube video about this! I say we, it was mainly my dad, I just approved the end result and provided some videos and photos.
    Also on an update of how much has been raised, with cash donations we’ve reached £480 WITHOUT adding on the amount of gift aid; I am proud to say the majority of it has come from you generous singletrackers donating a tenner here or a fiver there and in complete honesty, we wouldn’t have done this without you, so thank you from the bottom of my heart!

ellienadin
    Free Member

Update: Training’s going well, did over 100 quality off road miles last week and after a few days off for my birthday, I set a new PB of 45 minutes on the Follow the Dog Trail on Cannock Chase in the middle of a 23 mile ride. And it has been very hot.

bearnecessities

Nice video Ellie; may I suggest Dad corrects the unforgivable missing apostrophe at 1:43, and perhaps puts some emotive music over it. Suggestion below 😉 .

Found a fiver today; donated (I’ll only spend it on parking/crisps).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Drillski
    Free Member

will do BN, and thank for taking her to the £500 mark! How about Nicki Minaj “Lets go to the Beach” for the soundtrack, as that’s where she’s headed?

bearnecessities

Clever!

How about some leftfield link that fits the STW sterotype? 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bGNC5APzq2s[/video]

Drillski
    Free Member

Ok so, we went back to the drawing board a bit and changed quite alot, added some new footage, re-edited and here’s Ellies Revised Extended Directors Cut!

Please take a moment to watch if you can, and leave her a brief comment. You wouldn’t believe how committed to this she is now. Thanks STW

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyd3ghf_Yqw[/video]

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Inspirational, good luck and keep us up to date with the progress.

ellienadin
    Free Member

Blimey it’s hot! Another ride tonight, done 80 miles in the past three days, mostly over Cannock Chase, planning on doing a 70 mile ride early on Saturday, I’m crossing my fingers for a breeze 😉

jekkyl

Ellie, if you wanna give something back, sustrans are looking for volunteers down that pretty track out of Stafford.
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/volunteer/get-involved/vacancies/volunteer-rangers-stafford

ellienadin
    Free Member

Did my first 70 mile ride today, which is two thirds off the way there and the good news is that I wasn’t completely exhausted when we got back! Hurrah! It was an overall success, I wasn’t too tired, I didn’t do anything stupid on the road, and we were having such a good ride with a tail wind it was a very reluctant pair of bikers who turned around about 8 miles out of shrewsbury, agreeing that today wasn’t really the day to go to Wales. However, my bike did fall apart.
    Twice.
    The left crank fell off, the first time we were on a quiet back road and before I knew what was happening it had detacthed itself from my bike with my foot still slipped into the pedal. The second time, we were less than a mile from home, which was good but what was less good was that we were about 1/3 of the way up Weston Bank, the great big massive hill that we have to go up to get back home. Oh joy of joys.

Drillski
    Free Member

Hi Jekkyl, may well do that.
    She does already volunteer to Chase Trails too though. For Example, As you go through the final rock armoured rollers on Follow the Dog, the third drainagesump from the end, on the right, was dug by Ellie (with a little help from me, mostly supervising in this photo it seems)!

http://chasetrails.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=50

so shes handy with a shovel as well as a hardtail

ononeorange

Go Ellie! An inspiration to us all.

Drillski
    Free Member

Just seven days to go now! Starting to look at weather forecasts….

is it time to start a “what tyres for riding 110 miles to Barmouth?” thread?

Drillski
    Free Member

Support has been fantastic folks, thank you all so much. And Ellie has bagged herself a radio interview with BBC Radio Stoke for the day before we go!

Drillski
    Free Member

Bearnecessities, did you and everyone else see/like the revised video?

ellienadin
    Free Member

Done another 100 miles this week and I’m now starting a taper week before we go on saturday, although my legs were starting to be very tired on our last ride, is that to be expected?

sargey

Donated.Great story so far ellie good luck with the ride,any chance of a route and times you are starting out so people can look out for you on the day

Rosss
    Free Member

Great story, Good luck for Saturday!

ellienadin
    Free Member

any chance of a route and times you are starting out so people can look out for you on the day

We should be starting at 7 or 8 am, I’ll try and post the route later on for you but we are hoping to get to Barmouth for 6 pm, just in time for fish and chips!
    And once again cheers for donating guys! Every pound is a pound well spent. Are you ready for the grand total… drum roll please…
    £1078!
    We have broken the thousand mark, how amazing is that?

theotherjonv

We have broken the thousand £1100 mark, how amazing is that?

Ftfy 🙂

bearnecessities

Much better vid; love the emotive music 😀

Drillski, no email in your profile, but drop me an email if you need any car support on the day; got a couple of decent spare bikes I can throw in boot as well ICOE.

Drillski
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that’s over £10 per mile now, fantastic.
    We are hoping to do live updates en route, if possible, but neither of us have smart phones so it might be a bit second hand . I think we’ll be ordering one of these yellow night vision jerseys as MrsDrillski was getting a bit concerned about most of our kit being a bit low vis for all the road work so if you see a pair of banana coloured mountain bikers, please give us a wave 😀

grey

Never saw this first time around, but donated now.
    Good luck Ellie.

Drillski
    Free Member

Basically Its Stafford to Newport, Wellington, Shrewsbury via back roads, and the old railway line. Then back roads from Shrewsbury to Llanerfyl, bypassing Welshpool and LLanfair on teh north side, and the busy but narrow A458, then the A458 to Mallwyd, A470 to Dolgellau and onto the old south side of the estuary railway line, and finally across on the railway bridge to the North side and Barmouth, and chips!
    Haven’t quite got as far as sorting timings accurately yet, but on recent performance we are hoping to be able to average between 12.5 and 14 mph, which isn’t exactly earth shattering but we should be able to maintain it on the mountain bikes. Little climb before Dolgellau to a place called Tabor for a sting in the tail. Ellie will love that when she’s 100 miles in!

Drillski
    Free Member

Bearnecessities, thats very kind of you. We would absolutely love to see anyone who’s out and about, it’d make it even more of an adventure ( we’re really starting to look forward to it now). MrsDrillski will be setting off a couple of hours later ( silver galaxy) and she’s going to be bringing spares/kit as we (subject to sorting accommodation) will be stopping over for a few days after and I’ll be hoping to introduce Ellie to the joys of CyB, and the Marin, plus hopefully more subject to getting a pass out from MrsDrillski.
    But If you’re around let me know

Drillski
    Free Member

Route stats summary and profile:

[/url] Biketoaster Route by Drillski, on Flickr[/img]

Susie
    Free Member

Only just seen this thread, but have now donated. Good luck.

ellienadin
    Free Member

Haha, thanks for donating exactly 22 quid theotherjonv to make it up to 1110, it’s made my day!

ellienadin
    Free Member

Also, my dad won’t stop whistling The Climb by Miley Cyrus while we’re out riding and to say it’s getting on my nerves is an understatment 😉 can anyone recommend something else for him to sing on route to Wales?

Drillski
    Free Member

That’s the accomadation booked then, seafront B&B at Barmouth, 2 nights, thanks to the logistics team ( aka MrsDrillski). Any preferences/local knowledge in terms of recommended chippies? I think we’ll be in need of some quality cod & chips come Saturday night.

ellienadin
    Free Member

Just like to thank Veronica from Swinnerton Cycles in Birches Valley and her ladies rides, they are a great refuge from testosterone and just good fun. They’ve been a great help and everyone there is really encouraging and there will always be some one at the same level as you, which is really heartening. The next ride is this sunday (the 4th of August) and it’s for beginners, so if you know anyone, well, any woman, that fancies giving biking a go in the Cannock Chase area then I’d send them along there. Here is the link to the shops website with contact details

portlyone

£1200 🙂

ellienadin
    Free Member

Very glad I’m not going today, it’s so hot!

ellienadin
    Free Member

One day to go, radio interview today, went for a test spin last night and I discovered the evils of shammy cream.

ellienadin
    Free Member

Just done my radio interview with John Collins from BBC Radio Stoke- how cool is that? I went really well and John was really cool and it should be on drive time tonight as well as tomorrow morning! 😀

Drillski
    Free Member

it’ll be broadcast on BBC Radio Stoke at 17:40 friday evening, and again 07:05 on saturday morning, DAB or 94.6 & 104.1 FM

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘One day, 110 miles and a lot of flapjack!’ is closed to new replies.