Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • One creaky Hemlock…
  • Northwind

This post will be a sensible question followed by an obviously stupid question, bear with me.

I’ve got an 09 Hemlock, with the previous model chainstays from current Forth Bridge numbers. I love it to bits, but since a trip to france it’s developed a horrible creak on pedalling, seems to be from around the BB/swingarm pivot. I’ve swapped cranks and replaced the BB off another bike, still creaky. Checked the shock, bottom shock mount is pretty sticky and might be the culprit. Are there any other common Hemlocky things to check for creaks?

The stupid question… How on earth do you get into the main swingarm pivot 😆 It’s got a nut on one end, it’s got pinch bolts on the swingarm, I haven’t a scoob what’s going on at the other end. I’m good at spanners usually but I don’t want to start taking this thing to bits because I don’t understand what it’s all doing. Any help?

nsaints
    Free Member

Take out clean, regrease and tighten rear skewer?
    I was convinced it was the BB on my Trance…t’was the skewer 😳

Mugboo

Northwind

Mines an 08 and i’ve just had the the main pivot and chainstay bearings done. Even the bike shop couldn’t get the bolt out without mangling it so its worth ringing Cy and ordering it before you destroy it..he’d also supplied me with an additional spacer that went between the bearings but as yours is newer, yours will have it i think.

Cy is always quick to answer and quick with parts.

My bike was an ex demo but the bearings still lasted 18mnths. Its recently had new pivot bearings and a new Van R coil shock from Tftuned so its perfect again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rob2
    Free Member

I had a similar creak. I loosened then tightened all the pivots bar the main one and that sorted it.

Slight hijack but mugaboo – what’s it like with a coil shock?

grantway
    Free Member

Buy an Orange 5 very easy to find and replace the Bearings 😉
    Sure the quick release is not knackered

iolo
    Free Member

Take the seatpost out, lightly grease it.
    That cured mine.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

rear mech hangar can creak too

stealthcat

(Stealthcat’s mechanic here)

If it is the main pivot area, it will probably be one of the 4mm pinchbolts being a bit loose (they have to be fairly tight).

The pivot bolt itself has a slightly fragile thin ally nut on one end and there’s an allen head buried in the other end of it – either a 6mm or 8mm from memory. You have to take the cranks off to remove the bolt, but you may be able to wiggle an allen key through the rings if you just want to check tightness.

Rickos
    Free Member

I had a weird creak, sounded like the spokes were loose. Tightened up the cassette and it was gone.

Mugboo

Rob2, i’ll be honest. I’m a Yorkshireman and the coil seemed like a very good value replacement for the Pearl it came with.

TfTuned spoke very highly of them and i have no reason to complain. The bike is reasonably well speced and its running the 6″ rocker and rides lovely.
    It has to be said i was also happy with the 4″ rocker with the Pearl till it died though…

And all these answers are true. My creaks have turned out to be cranks/pedals/bars and mainly saddles in the past!

Northwind

I think I can discount most of these, the bike’s been in bits after some trips anyway and has had different wheels and skewers etc. Not seatpost, still does it stood up. Probably not hanger as it’s been changed. Cheers though!

And thanks especially Mugboo and Stealthcat, that’s very helpful.

Grantway, the Alpine’s still probably the bike I’d replace it with if I had to but I prefer the rear suspension on the Hemlock. Nice try though :mrgreen: A Blood would be on the cards too I reckon.

Mugboo

Yep, i have no intention of changing my bike but the blood would be top choice, although that new Nukeproof thing might be good?

Although i have a thing for Nicolai’s too. Maybe i just like ugly bikes, although maybe not cos i don’t that Ibis Mojo and thats gopping…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘One creaky Hemlock…’ is closed to new replies.