Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • One bright note amongst the gloom
  • rOcKeTdOg

Did my first after work ride that started in daylight yesterday. Wore normal unwinter cycling shoes for the first time since last year & didn’t need lights until 1730.

Which really cheered me as it’s only going to get lighter for longer now. Yes there might be a few cold snaps but once that start in daylight ride is done I know spring has begun!

Just incase I needed extra illumination I wore this shirt

sun1

molgrips
    Free Member

funkmasterp

Hits imaginary like button

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I love Spring and what it brings,more daylight,drier trails(hopefully dry),sunshine,warmer weather and easier pedalling. It feels like it has been another long ,wet, tough old Winter so far.

matt_outandabout

It’s the first day without snow or ice on our road since December 27th today.
    I might go for a ride.

IdleJon

I love Spring

I spotted catkins on some trees this morning – spring is on the way! And the sports field opposite the beach was full of curlews and oystercatchers for the last couple of days, there are jays everywhere and because it’s just getting light when I’m riding in, I get the last few chords of the dawn chorus. I genuinely love riding to work (and home!) at the moment.

MoreCashThanDash

Wevso need a “Like” button.

Yesterday was the first after work ride I’ve finished in enough daylight to get the bike cleaned up straight away as well, so double win here.

Plus I had a brief chat to a club mate who I know has struggled this lockdown who was out walking on one of the trails, and got a superb view of a camera shy buzzard in a tree.

I love riding in February – really see the daylight extend at either end of the day which is a huge boost for the soul.

Saccades
    Free Member

Catkins around now are probably hazelnut trees which are winter pollination.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve had them for a while – alder, I think.

gallowayboy

Just back from a ride around Blackstone Edge: I wouldn’t say it was spring, but normal socks, shorts and just two layers. The difference from Saturday is massive, nearly all the snow and ice has gone, though the highest reservoirs are still Ice bound. Roll on Spring!

kayak23

Yes! 😊👊

Merak

Dibs the shirt.

IdleJon

Catkins around now are probably hazelnut trees which are winter pollination.

Edit – the ones I saw ae alder. I’m just reading up on catkins now. Possibly edible, and the catkins are the male part, whereas the female catkins look like conifer cones. I need to stop to examine them on the way home!

hooli

I cant wait for spring!

I don’t even mind cold weather much, I was happily riding in negative temperatures this weekend. It is the slop and mud that I cant stand.

Dry and dusty trails seem like a lifetime ago.

kelvin

Nice shirt.

andybrad

YES!
    buzzing already

hatter

Agree 100%, get your arse in gear spring!

I was pretty chirpy for the first lockdown as the weather was cracking and the trails dry, this time round has been considerably grimmer.

Rona

😃

+1 nice shirt.

weeksy

I went out in summer gloves yesterday. First time in, well, months!

p7eaven
    Free Member

Catkins around now are probably hazelnut trees which are winter pollination

This. A hazelnut tree sprouted where I buried our cat son 12 years ago. It’s some size now and this last few weeks has been thick with catkins. 🙂

shirt approval also registered 😎

IdleJon

I buried our cat son

?????

soundninjauk

I’d like to join the shirt approval club.

slowoldman

Yes I was out yesterday with only one base layer. Well some other stuff too…

funkmasterp

I’d like to join the shirt approval club.

Me too! @rocketdog – where’d you get the shirt? 😀

mrchrispy

smashes like button.

If I saw you out and about id think ‘that dude is total on STW’
    #goodworkfella

GolfChick
    Free Member

Seconded I’ve just been out for a mid day 24 miler and I had short sleeves on!! with arm warmers but still!!

rOcKeTdOg

@funkmasterp it’s a Troy Lee shirt I got 2nd hand off eBay. It is shower proof too

Alex

Managed to get out at 3pm. Got rained on, but trails were already wet so no problem there 😉

The voyage of the gripless bicycle

GravelKings offering zero grip on mud-slick trails. It was like being back in the 90s!

No worries about it getting dark, managed a bit of extra exploring

And some big skies to finish.

Long sleeve/short sleeve, 3/4s were more than enough. Spring is definitely coming*

*if it snows/sleets for two weeks, I want to apologise in advance 🙂

gallowayboy

You were lucky getting one with arms that long…..

joepud
    Free Member

massive love for this! I had my first “commute” (really a morning loop of from my house) in the light too this morning. Mentally its so much easier than the winter months.

Poopscoop

mrchrispy

If I saw you out and about id think ‘that dude is total on STW’

Haha! Snap.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘One bright note amongst the gloom’ is closed to new replies.