Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • One bike two wheelsets – real life experience
  • fossy

Same hub manufacturer you should be OK. Road hubs, swapping two Shimano Dura Ace’s over, same hub, no issue, swapping Mavic Aksium with Ksyrium, no bother. Swapping a Dura Ace to a Hope needed two clicks on the indexing (rim brake) but that was easy once you remembered.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve got a ramin plus with 29er plus wheels well rear is wide rim but 2.4 tyre for clearance reasons, 29er wheels and 650 plus wheels and a planet x London road with 40mm tyres and a set of 35mm road tyres on 700c wheels ive even had the 700c x 40mm on the ramin all sweet, different hubs, rotors and cassettes sometimes needs a little tweak sometimes doesn’t

mrpaul
    Free Member

I do this with different hubs in the two wheel sets. Rotors and cassettes on each set and the gears always work with no adjustment necessary. I don’t swap the chain and it’s lasting fine. Only mild faffing is moving the calipers a couple of mm which takes minutes.

benman
    Free Member

Does anyone have a solution for shimming centrelock discs? The only proper shims I can find are nearly £20 for 4 tiny shims…

jp-t853

I do this as well different hubs and 4 tooth difference in cassette range. I have to move the shifter adjustment three notches each time to get perfect shifting. Apart from doing it the wrong way every time it only takes a few seconds

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried it and the 6-bolt discs were a hair’s breadth different on each wheelset. I probably could have got some of those tiny shims you used to get with flat mount MTB brakes on the rotor bolts, but I couldn’t be bothered in the end as it wasn’t a really important issue for me, I was just trying it out.

downshep

As with others, the ease of this for me is all down to having identical hubs and brakes. 11 Speed Gravel bike has 2x sets of wheels. Both have Fulcrum hubs and SRAM centrelock discs. It’s just the chunkiness of the tyres (35 or 43) and range of the rear cassettes (34 or 40) that differ. Works a treat as the wheels are literally plug and play with no adjustments required. I just need to avoid small / small or big / big chainrings.
    10 speed road bike is a totally different story. Have 10 speed DT Swiss hubs on one set of wheels and 11 speed Ambrosio hubs on the other. Despite spending lots of time spacing the 10 speed cassette on the 11 speed hubs to try and match the cassette spacing on the 10 speed hub, the rear mech always needs adjusting when swapping wheels. The road bike also has rim brakes and the calipers and brake shoes need a tweak due to slight differences in rim width and dishing. Road bike now lives on the turbo, which also has an 11 speed hub with a 10 speed cassette. Turbo cassette spacing doesn’t match either set of road hubs. Unless I’m going to use the road bike for a multi day tour, it just isn’t worth taking off the turbo when there’s a newer gravel bike available.

FOG

I have a spare set of wheels with gravel tyres that I use on both my HT and my ebike. All three sets of wheels are different hubs but all seem to play nicely in both frames.
    The most adjustment I have had to do is the old loosen the caliper and pull the brake on fix.

ivantate
    Free Member

Do it on my gravel bike with gravel/road wheels and fat bike with studded/non studded.

Same hub is a good idea, I also found out not all shimano brake discs are equal and had to shift a few around with other bikes to get a set that lined up for the gravel bike.

I let the chain go to 0.5mm and haven’t had any issues with slipping etc so don’t swap the chain over.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.